.32 rimfire

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Enter the .32 NAA. As reported by Clair Rees in last November's issue of Handguns in an exclusive story, the new mouse that is making considerable noise hinges on a necked-down .380 ACP that launches a 60-grain .32 caliber bullet at more than 1,200 fps out of a 2 1/2-inch barrel. Much of the developmental work took place under the watchful eye of Ed Sanow, co-author of Handgun Stopping Power, Street Stoppers and Stopping Power, a series of books about real world ballistics. Sanow and Evan Marshall have spent a good portion of their careers looking at cartridges and how they perform on the street.

Bottleneck cartridges work well in semi-autos because they are shaped to feed naturally and headspace on the shoulder rather than the case neck. A bottlenecked cartridge can include a solid crimp, eliminating the possibility that a bullet might be dislodged as it is chambered.

The .32 NAA is based on a full-length .380 ACP case. Measuring .680 inches in length, the little hot rod features a short neck that is designed to securely hold a 60-grain .32 caliber JHP.

Typical of Cor-Bon loads, the .32 NAA round is designed for serious business. Launching a 60-grain JHP bullet, Cor-Bon predicted 1,200 fps and 192 ft-lbs of energy and the combination exceeded Cor-Bon's predictions. Twenty rounds averaged a blistering 1,204-fps with an extreme spread of 69 fps and a standard deviation of 19 fps on the Oehler 35P. The combination accounted for 193.09 ft-lbs of energy.
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

I cant wait to see some up close.
Gun and knife show coming to town in January. :D
Have to go pick up my 32 from the safe.
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

Vagrant wrote: Launching a 60-grain JHP bullet, Cor-Bon predicted 1,200 fps and 192 ft-lbs of energy
Wow! That could seriously injure somebody! :shock:
I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The Falcon wrote:
Vagrant wrote: Launching a 60-grain JHP bullet, Cor-Bon predicted 1,200 fps and 192 ft-lbs of energy
Wow! That could seriously injure somebody! :shock:
I love the idea. I also think the possibilities for a light carbine is fantastic!!
I have an ancient Winchester "High Wall" that was rebarrled to .30-06, more than I need and "pushing the limit" for a 100 year old gun. Changing it to .32NAA is very tempting, [but a simple rechamber to .30 Tokerov would be cheaper] The Tok would be more powerful but the idea is to make a small game/plinker, how much power do you need for that?? [Besides if more power was the plan why chage from '06 in the first place]? 1200 fps from 2 1/2" barrel should make over 1600 from a 20" seem very likely, sounds like more than enough for my purposes, and LOTS of fun.