Bier Stein

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Viking45

Bier Stein

Post by Viking45 »

A few years ago I attempted to sell some of my Hot Wheels cars I have had since 1968/69.(the first two years) and there was absolutely no information.
It was like no one wants to openly share any information.
Watched a program on people whom have spent fortunes to fill that one void in their particular collection. A man spent a record 20 grand on an extremely rare Hot wheel car and by the way he has the largest Hot Wheels collection in the world.
It was a chrome "Red Line",1969 "Heavy Chevy". Well after watching this episode I jumped up and yelled at my girlfriend "I have this car in my folk's houses' attic!"
This was in the mid 90's before my internet days and years later found my Hot Wheels. Sure enough there was my "chrome version" Heavy Chevy and did weeks if not months of looking around and no info.
I finally found a guy with some help and said yes,a guy did pay 20 grand but the cars were special editions (as was mine) and special colors(as was mine) but one color pattern was extremely rare and only one beat-up,run-over specimen was known and even it sold for some serious cash.
Mine was rare but hardly the 20 grand range. I got 175 for it on ebay....after listing it numerous times.

Now I am running into this same scenario with an old German beer stein I have. No info is given freely and I am usually pretty good at finding info during searches but this one got me.

Does anyone here have any info on vintage German beer steins and can help me out? Pete?(you're a squarehead) :lol:

I will post pics because I hope mine is something special,there are many similar but none have the details and this one is exactly 12 inches tall(may be what they call a litre?)
dark2023

Re: Bier Stein

Post by dark2023 »

The thing I love most about Hot Wheels is the way they pronounce it in the early commercials. The Emphasis is completely different.
They put all the emphasis on "hot".

HOT Wheels
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Ha haa, good one Darky,thank goodness for YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtVfUUNYBWs
We had the HW's track from the first commercial(the one with the loop and ramps). The yellow or orange tracks were joined with little plastic tabs that even said Hot Wheels on them.

As with many childhood experiences I regret to recall the sections of track made for a good disciplinary implement,got my arse "larruped" a time or two with one :lol:
Attachments
HW-Track 1.jpg
HW-Track 1.jpg (13.63 KiB) Viewed 4642 times
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

Squarehead,damn,that's racist Dave :lol: :lol:
I don't know much about old German beer steins but back in the day I did have a pair of Schultz and Dooley beer steins, cost was $9.95 plus $2.00 shipping, I have no idea what happened to them but here's a link with some info on them, old saying, to soon old, to late smart :(
https://www.picollecta.com/p/vintage-sc ... 1000070162
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

About all I can say about them is that they are more common in Southern Germany than Northern Germany. Several years ago I was going on a trip to Hamburg (Northern Germany) and a friend asked me to get him a stein. I couldn't find them anywhere and when I asked, I was told it was a Southern Germany thing.

Jim
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Hey Dave,
Are there any marks on the bottom of the stein? Is the cover pewter or bright pot metal? Also pictures would help.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

tequiza wrote:Squarehead,damn,that's racist Dave :lol: :lol:
Yea Pete you know me. Saw something a couple years ago,they called the Beatles,Rolling Stones and others the "British Invasion" and the German bands of that time was called Krautrock.
That certainly wouldn't fly today.

Here are some pics of the stein. Right click on photo and hit View Image so you don't have to scroll as much.
The bottom has a wood cover over the movement and the stamped logo is just a triangle with W. Germany below and also a deep stamp in the stoneware along the bottom edge W. Germany.
The red and black label says Super Star in the black part and the red says Swiss Musical Movement and O mien Papa

David- My guess is the lid is pot metal,doesn't have that look or weight as pewter.
Attachments
Stein01.jpg
Stein01.jpg (358.04 KiB) Viewed 4590 times
Stein02.jpg
Stein02.jpg (485.84 KiB) Viewed 4590 times
Stein03.jpg
Stein03.jpg (446.57 KiB) Viewed 4590 times
Stein04.jpg
Stein04.jpg (179.18 KiB) Viewed 4590 times
Stein05.jpg
Stein05.jpg (211.28 KiB) Viewed 4590 times
Stein06.jpg
Stein06.jpg (352.92 KiB) Viewed 4590 times
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

my mother started collecting stiens back in the early '60's, i doubt she knows much about them, but she does still have them.
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"