who is aga campolin?

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
tequiza

who is aga campolin?

Post by tequiza »

:? vagrant,i have one 15inch that has the aga campolin stamp,and 4 others that say rostfrei italy,i know that at least 2 of them came from fox,and that rostfrei is just rustfree in german,but who is aga campolin. :?:
tequiza
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Tequiza,

I'll start, Vagrant can finish. It is Angelo Campolin. His grandson is also Angelo Campolin, the founder of AKC. If your 15's are new, they were made by AKC, regardless of who sold them to you (at least that is my understanding).

Jim
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Can't add much to Jim's answer.
Never seen a really good ans. on "Rostfrei". My guess is it was to appeal to German or Austrian tourists. I doubt very much it was to make people think it was German as some contend. The Italians are too proud to attempt fooling someone into thinking someone else made their knives.
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

:D thanks guys,at least i know more now than i did before.
teq
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

jim d, wrote:Tequiza,

I'll start, Vagrant can finish. It is Angelo Campolin. His grandson is also Angelo Campolin, the founder of AKC. If your 15's are new, they were made by AKC, regardless of who sold them to you (at least that is my understanding).

Jim
Mr. Jim D,

Try Angelo, Gianni(sp?), Angelo.

Best Regard's,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
Mors Profundis

Post by Mors Profundis »

Rostfrei-which signifies stainless-may have begun as a legal requirement in Germany, when knives were still made there.
It certainly was used on fixed blade knives and standard folding knives as well as kitchen cutlery.
Many of those stamps are quite pretty, with fancy font lettering and all, and might well be thought of as a decoration.
Life has no value, but death has it's price
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Mors Profundus wrote:Rostfrei-which signifies stainless-may have begun as a legal requirement in Germany, when knives were still made there.
It certainly was used on fixed blade knives and standard folding knives as well as kitchen cutlery.
Many of those stamps are quite pretty, with fancy font lettering and all, and might well be thought of as a decoration.
German stamping requirements also give us Linders [and others] that were made continents away from Germany. [usknifeguy has a "Linder" on BA and is tripping all over his sorry ass telling how the "German" quality is so amazing etc. etc.] I used to give people the benefit of the doubt on this but now I think they're crooks or idiots and I no longer think "maybe they just don't know". BS don't know if you think an oriental switch is German quality you do NOT belong in the knife business. I am SICK of this and no longer care if I hurt somones feelings. I have a couple of Franks Switch model that are stamped "Linder" others have sold them as "real Linders" and talked about the "German" quality I am not amused.
The Linder [dealers] catalog makes it plain that ALL switchblades are made somewhere else. Only TWO folders that Linder sells are German. All
others are imported. Even the long gone Puma switch was made in "DAS Ausland" [overseas] to Puma specs. [It at least was made to German
quality and had the Rockwell test indentation that Puma is famous for].