380 Choices

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Viking45

Re: 380 Choices

Post by Viking45 »

Right. Hollywood has people thinking bad guys go flying when shot.
My favorite example was Bruce Willis in Last Man Standing.

Watch the first 25 seconds of this vid :lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00oG5gtD0Ho
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Bill DeShivs wrote:A rifle bullet does not have the momentum to "knock someone down."
Bingo :idea: A security guard was shot with a .22 short and blown back several feet :!:
investigation showed he was never hit :roll:
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

A rifle bullet does not have the momentum to "knock someone down."
Never said it would, it does have energy to do so though, assuming it was all imparted directly into the target (especially over a large area). A good example would be if they were wearing a bulletproof vest which DID stop the bullet then the wearer would most likely be pushed back as if they were punched. Same with rubber slugs. (though the knockback would most likely be less than the recoil force of the round)
Bingo :idea: A security guard was shot with a .22 short and blown back several feet :!:
investigation showed he was never hit
Some people do stagger or appear to have been knocked back when hit by bullets (of nearly any size). This can be attributed to a psychological reaction, humans tend to absorb blows and move with them to help reduce the force felt (which works with punches and stuff) and help them to retreat. Some people also do this because they have been conditioned by Hollywood to stop or fall over if shot, even though they are perfectly capable of continuing a charge.
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Dr. Dark I have said this before but I wish I had known as much about firearms as you do when I was your age.
I have fired many of the most common cartridges.
Too many to list.
I miss Heavy Arti,he was a true encyclopedia of firearm knowledge.
Even Al considered him a true reference.

We have Canadian and US LEO's here and I respect their knowledge and experience and one cannot deny any man that has owned,fired,reloaded and saw results first hand.
Al,Pete and a few others...you know who you are.
Cheers to JB and Manny for their expert opinion. CA

I am taking this query quite seriously and chances are she may not carry the firearm(This depends on her ability at the range) My thoughts.
A gun can save a life or get you killed.

We speak of all the cartridges and what is best etc etc. A well placed 22 Long Rifle can be deadly and nasty.
Almost no recoil and the little bastard is reaching upwards of 12 hundred per second easily piercing breast plates and reaching vital organs.
Laugh if you will but I am a firm believer in the "Stinger"

Not to mention the low recoil allows for multiple applications.

Looking forward to replies on this one.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

IF the .22 fires it won't get 1200 FPS from a handgun-only from a rifle. .22 LR ammunition is famous for duds.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

IF the .22 fires it won't get 1200 FPS from a handgun-only from a rifle. .22 LR ammunition is famous for duds.
I agree with this one, .22 can easily kill if placed properly and all but I dont think I would want to trust my life to rimfire ammo.
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I have never had a dud or misfire with target grade .22s :idea: [or .22 magnums].
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

Dave, if your serious about a .22 Mag for her than check this one out, holds 7 rounds and very easy to carry!

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php ... m-Revolver

Also, Speer has a nice .22 Mag, defense round. 8)
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/0 ... ion-round/
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

tequiza wrote:Dave, if your serious about a .22 Mag for her than check this one out, holds 7 rounds and very easy to carry!

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php ... m-Revolver
Wow,very nice Pete and it's a Smitty to boot. Any idea the price tag on these?
Bill DeShivs wrote:IF the .22 fires it won't get 1200 FPS from a handgun-only from a rifle. .22 LR ammunition is famous for duds.
Good point Bill. There is a lot of info on the 22 and they may not have serious knock down they do penetrate deeply and cause lots of problems quickly.
There are even stories of snipers using 22 in certain circumstances. The U.S. Military used first the Hi-Standard,then the Ruger 22 pistol both in silenced versions in Vietnam and I've read of suppressed .22 pistols being used to eliminate sentries and guard dogs.

Don't quote me on this but I think even some pilots have carried 22 pistols because they can carry a lot of ammo.
Maybe someone better informed can chime in.
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

The SRP is $689.00 Dave, but you might be able to get one cheaper if you look around, the S&W 642 in .22 Mag in around $450.00 but is only a 5 shot,either one would be a good one for your better half. :D

http://www.americanrifleman.org/article ... 51c-review
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

tequiza wrote:The SRP is $689.00 Dave, but you might be able to get one cheaper if you look around, the S&W 642 in .22 Mag in around $450.00 but is only a 5 shot,either one would be a good one for your better half. :D

http://www.americanrifleman.org/article ... 51c-review
Ouch! They are high quality but that seems mighty steep for a 22 revolver. Hell she could get a primo Sig for that.
No offense to anyone that has one but I want nothing to do with a Taurus.
My nephew was at the range with some Marine buddies one had a Taurus 38 or 357 can't recall but it literally exploded. The frame cracked and the cylinder fell out.
The cylinder fell the f*** out!
A buddy of mine had a 38 and the cylinder didn't line up with the barrel and he and his wife were digging copper splinter out of their arms. I guess the shrapnel came out of the sides.
He was so mad he drove to a dam and threw it in the lake. :lol:

Back to my nephew,the same day he was firing a Taurus auto and he said it jammed 1 out of three times and this was with three different brands of magazines. One factory,one Pachmayr and the other was another American brand.
I have more Taurus stories but that's enough for me.

Heard some bad stories about Dan Wesson too. Don't get me wrong,I love all guns but I suppose any can fail one time or another.
Always been a fan of S&W,I have owned a couple and fired many and never had one fail in any way.

I knew a man that was a Highway Patrol motorcycle cop for years and he carried 357 Colts,one Trooper the other a King Cobra and he said there's nothing like a Colt but they did need a cylinder tweak now and then.
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

Again look into the S&W 649, shrouded hammer, .357 but can easily shoot .38 or even .22/.22wmr with the proper sub caliber insert
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

dark2023 wrote:Again look into the S&W 649, shrouded hammer, .357 but can easily shoot .38 or even .22/.22wmr with the proper sub caliber insert
Reloads with primer only for power and plastic/rubber bullets are better than sub-caliber inserts :idea:
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

If a 22 was the choice it would be a revolver simply because if a round failed you can keep squeezing the trigger.
An auto 22 has too many issues that can go wrong.

I had a Browning that fired flawlessly but I recall at least once or twice a shell not ejecting properly but was an instant fix.

The more I think on the subject I am not sure I want a 22 for her.
One reason is if she fired a 22 and then fired a 38 the bigger bang may be a shock and turn her against it.
She has fired my 45 but this was years ago. My Sig has a 4.5in barrel and is lighter that an all steel frame/slide 1911 with a 5in barrel so it tends to buck a tiny bit more.

I love my Sig P220 but a 1911 is my all time favorite firearm.
tequiza

Post by tequiza »