380 Choices

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Viking45

Re: 380 Choices

Post by Viking45 »

My all time favorite is a 1911 and my buddy at the gun shop has a whole line of the 238's and I loved this model,kind of an olive drab with carbon fiber grips.
I just need for my girlfriend to fire it and see if she likes it.
Attachments
SIG_P238_Scorpion_4-600x369.jpg
SIG_P238_Scorpion_4-600x369.jpg (55.61 KiB) Viewed 9066 times
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

My slightly larger .380 (only it's a .45 with nicely integrated laser). When you grip it, your second finger bridges two tiny brass contacts and the laser comes on. It also has a full manual safety and enough grip that I get all my fingers on it. I actually have smallish hands. BTW, StilettoAssassin, it's loaded with your preferred Golden Sabers.

Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Wow I bet that little 45 has a buck to it. 8)
Very nice size but since this is for a woman I am leaning towards something she can fire comfortably with less recoil like a 380.

So far nothing has felt better in her hand that the Sig P232 but she hasn't held the Sig P238 and with the extra finger grip on the end of the mag will sweetin' the overall feel.

May as well make this thread a "Post Pics Of Your Heaters"
I enjoy seeing everyone's goodies.

How about a Kenworth Killing 458 Winchester Magnum pistol :lol:
458winmagencorepistol.jpg
458winmagencorepistol.jpg (19.17 KiB) Viewed 9055 times
Markco the Mad otter

Post by Markco the Mad otter »

Ok, well it's not a .380 it's a Walther PP .32. awhhhh guess I don't have any pics, at least that I can find that are small enough to fit in here. I have had two .380's and got rid of both of them before I ever shot them. The first handgun that I ever owned was a .380 but I don't even remember what it was. Seems it was missing a few parts and was something that a 15 year old probably shouldn't be caught with. :roll:
SNAP, SNAP, SNAP!!
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Boys,

Here's my latest addition! Dan Wesson .44 Mag with an 8" barrell.
.44dw.jpg
.44dw.jpg (30.64 KiB) Viewed 9050 times
I love it!

Best regards,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

Bonzo wrote:Boys,

Here's my latest addition! Dan Wesson .44 Mag with an 8" barrell.
.44dw.jpg
I love it!

Best regards,

Bonz
Mr Bonzo,
Have you tried any of this ammo yet ?

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/44hammerheadplusp.html
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Tequiza,

Not yet, but its on the list now.

Best regards,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

I'll post an image of my Glock 34 when the slide comes back in the next week or two, currently off being milled for a red dot.
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/?p=7246 ... troduction

The new Taurus "Curve" - definitely worth checking out.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

ILikeStilettos wrote:http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/?p=7246 ... troduction

The new Taurus "Curve" - definitely worth checking out.
Sweet little gun, and it would make the perfect BUG. 8)
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Pretty awesome stuff ILS but my girlfriend shares the same "old school" no-frills preference in guns.
So far she has liked some of the suggestions here and of course she liked the genuine Walther PPK until I told her what the price tag said.
Depending on the gun I only buy new and with handguns this is especially true unless I know the history. Guns don't have an odometer so you need to know what to look for besides rifling when buying used.

At this point we(her and I) are leaning real hard to the Sig line but at half the cost I am not excluding the little Bersa.
I would prefer it to have a steel frame as opposed to what looks almost like pot metal. Maybe this is just the texture but it is the only problem I have,however the 380 doesn't exactly have earth shaking recoil.
I have read nothing but good reviews on the little Bersa but again this is going to be a one time purchase and I am going to stress the Sig 238 for several reasons-
It's a Sig.
The damn thing feels like a solid piece of iron in the hand.
Steel frame/steel slide.
Looks bad-ass/is bad-ass for a 380.
And last the customizations are plentiful if one chose to do so.

My old Sig P220 (45) is all original (although I haven't fired it 10,000 times) it has never failed once no matter what ammo I have used.
Don't get me wrong the 1911 is my favorite gun on the planet but my Gold Cup failed more than once and my standard failed once but they were both original(no custom work)

I am a huge believer in the Sig-Sauer/Sig-Arms group of firearms.
With all the choices out there only a select few groups will choose Sig over everything else.
This includes Walther,Heckler & Koch,S & W,Ruger and Colt.

Pete and Bonz- That ammo Pete mentioned above...some nasty stuff,a guy may only need a box or three for home defense or when the evil Whirlpool or Maytag's attack.
I say this because when I was a kid in the mid 70's my Grandad,Dad,uncle and a few cousins were in a salvage yard deep in the Ozarks woods when we were ambushed by a 64 Belvedere and his Whirlpool and Maytag minions.
Luckily we prevailed with superior fire power from an old Harrington/Richardson .38,Savage 12 ga's and ,1911's and even a few Primo Montgomery Wards and Sears high powered rifles.
All the exquisite firepower one would expect from Hill Folk of the time.
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

At this point we(her and I) are leaning real hard to the Sig line but at half the cost I am not excluding the little Bersa.
I'm really not a fan of SAO pistols for Concealed Carry but maybe thats just me. You might find the SCCY CPX line is very affordable, very dependable, and has one of the absolute best warranties on the market. They will cover any and all damage, no questions asked for the lifetime of the gun. This includes destructive testing.

My favorite arms designer is FN but they do not make any current offerings that would be good for concealed carry.

However, have you looked into the new Glock 42?
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

I'm not a .380 fan. I prefer to shoot something with either a tad more power, or something I can shoot more accurately (as well as quickly). That said, if she can shoot a handgun well (under stress) and hit her target, it is a gun that will serve her well.

I will not get into the "caliber wars" game.That's a an argument where there is no clear winner. To each his/her own.
Fishtail Picklock
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Fishtail Picklock wrote:I'm not a .380 fan. I prefer to shoot something with either a tad more power, or something I can shoot more accurately (as well as quickly). That said, if she can shoot a handgun well (under stress) and hit her target, it is a gun that will serve her well.

I will not get into the "caliber wars" game.That's a an argument where there is no clear winner. To each his/her own.
I agree,not really a 380 fan but my theory is that a 380 is not intimidating to her and a well-placed double tap in a bad guy is going alter his motivation.
Lately I have been looking at some of the Smith 38's,slick little guns and I feel there is more reliability in a revolver in stopping power and function.
Once we make a choice she is going to take classes and join an indoor shooting range.

This guy is here in town and is where she will train- http://www.mattcanovi.com/