300 remington savage

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
missaman

300 remington savage

Post by missaman »

Mr Vagrent
what do you know about this round???
Missaman
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I think we may have two rounds here. The 300 Savage was/is an old round that was supposed to APPROXIMTE the then new .30-06 in a Savage lever action. I don't think it really gave the 06 any competition but was/is a step up from the .30-30. Savage confused the issue by also having the .303 Savage [not the same as the British .303 and not as powerful more like a .30-30 I think]. .300 Savage ammo made by Remington is quite common. A Remington Rifle in .300 Savage would be MUCH less common [VERY rare would be my guess]. To further confuse things Remington now makes a .300 Ultra short magnum I believe and Savage may have chambered their bolt action for it [that is pure guess].
An original Savage Lever Action in .300 is a very sweet gun and not really rare but I believe they no longer chamber Lever gun for it now using the .308 instead so they will become sought after. I would guess the .300 and the .308 would not be worlds apart but there's much more .308 ammo to choose from. The fact that Arthur Savage designed the Lever Action so well in the late 1800s that it can handle the .308 says something about him as a designer that seldom gets any notice. The steel and heat treatment had to be changed for hotter ammo so rechabering an old one is a really bad idea [just in case some do it yourselfer wants too DON'T do it or if you do - film it so we show it at the hospital or funeral and have a good laugh]. I won't even go into the .250 Savage or [fist fight time] .250-3000 [same thing].
missaman

Post by missaman »

Thanks Mr. Vagrent,
The rifle in question was my grandfathers. he passed in 1969 It is a model
760 gamemaster. Made by remington, 4 round mag. pump gun. this gun has not been fired in 35 years but is going deer hunting with me this year.
Sam Hotton

Post by Sam Hotton »

Good morning Vagrant,
I've found it interesting that the .300 Savage is being used by some benchrest shooters at present, in competition with the 125 grain Sierra or Berger bullets. They say the powder capacity and short powder column is just about perfect. Also it seems that for the custom ultralight mountain rifles built on a Remington model 7 short action or a short Sako the power of the cartridge and the recoil in a 5.5 lb rifle are ideal with a 125 or 150 grain bullet. Quite advanced for a cartridge designed in 1920.

Sam
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I would say the .300 Savage made the .308 redundant. A Remington 760 in .300 sounds less rare than a bolt gun in that caliber [a guess] but still an absolute TREASURE in IMHO. Grampa selected wisely.