Bayonet's

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Bayonet's

Post by Bonzo »

Dear Mr. Vagrant,

I happen to have in my greedy little hands, a few military bayonets given to me by a slightly enebriated friend who couldn't remember giving them to me, but alas, they remain on top of my bookcase. Question: Do you deal in pre WWII bayonets, and, is there a special way of identifying these bad boys by serial number, style, or sheath style?

There you go, a legit question and I'm only on my 8th Coor's.

Best Regard's,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
Gonzo_Beyondo

Post by Gonzo_Beyondo »

if you can photo each of them, they can easily be ID'd, in most cases.

there's a military knife forum on KFC which has a number of really knowledgeable people.

if you wish, send me photos, and i will see what i can get answered for you. these guys are good, and know their stuff, but are generally slow to reply. as long as it isn't needed in a hurry, we can find out the info easily.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

This is amazing I can sit back and let others give the correct answer for me. The other choice is there are books on the topic. I do not remember titles but have seen them in book stores especially around Christmas.
Gonzo_Beyondo

Post by Gonzo_Beyondo »

just thought i'd lend a hand :)

i've been impressed by the knowledge of a few ppl re: bayonets and other militaria... so i figured i'd pass it on.

of course, it'll save the cost of a book ;)
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I'm VERY glad for the help.
[I consider bayonets a 17th centtiry answer to a 15th century problem. So I'm no authority on them].
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

Vagrant wrote:I'm VERY glad for the help.
[I consider bayonets a 17th centtiry answer to a 15th century problem. So I'm no authority on them].
What 15th century problem did a 17th century bayonet solve? :wink:
I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The Falcon wrote:
Vagrant wrote:I'm VERY glad for the help.
What 15th century problem did a 17th century bayonet solve? :wink:
What do I do with a rifle???????????????????????????
They still had this "sharp stick" concept of warfare. This thinking will not die a natural death. Virtually every army in the word STILL has bayonets!!!!!! If my rifle no longer functions I want a PISTOL not a poorly balanced pike. No army with a bayonet is truely modern. Sooner or later some military will scrap the things issue every soldier a pistol instead and win the next fight they're in. After a century or two they will be called "visionaries" and the rest will copy them. At 56 I won't live long enough to see this happen.
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Gonzo,

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out. I took them out of the scabbards for the first time in a few years. One is German with the tang stamping,
Weyersberg
Kirschbaum & Co
Solingen

The handguard and scabbard are stamped L1910

Anyone who may want to offer an opinion, feel free. I'll take over to BF in a few days.

The other one has no tang stampings but on the butt end of the pommel, there appears to be something in Arabic with a proof mark of a crown with an 'x' in the center, and judging by the quality of the steel between the German one, I wouldn't doubt it.

I'll gets some pics soon.

Best Regard's,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
Gonzo_Beyondo

Post by Gonzo_Beyondo »

No, not BF, KFC has the military forum. As i said, little activity but good knowledge.

You may need someone to host them pics for posting over there, if so, i'll hook it up. Also, i'm a mod there, i may get a little more info ;)

Mr. Vagrant,

*Almost* every army still has bayos, however...

The Gurkhas never have.
When armies typically exclaim "Affix bayonets" the Gurkhas withdrew their khukuris...

arguably the most feared fighting men and most intimidating of edged weapons in past and present history...

you would'nt want to be in the way of a 3/8" thick slab of sharpened forward-angled spring steel coming down with furious anger.

for some reason the rest of the world thought their 'toothpicks' would suffice.

One thing about bayos is the fact that they are old, well made, and in 75% of the cases, dirt friggin' cheap. Alot of steel for the money with a history behind it too boot. It's an interesting facet of knife collecting and one can surely do it on any budget.
jthm

Post by jthm »

it's a good idea to have some sort of combat knife in any battle, but why the swiss put a bottle opener in theirs, is beyond me. :D
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

A Khukuri is much better than a bayonet.
Bayonets are GREAT collectables. Workmanship is usually top notch. Steel is excellent but they handle poorly for real world cutting tasks. [Even critics admit the one the Finns use on the Valmet is a pretty good knife compared to most].
Gonzo_Beyondo

Post by Gonzo_Beyondo »

heheh true they handle poorly for cutting tasks, but then again....
how many dudes have you seen with bayos on their belt?

So IMO it comes down to practical application... and just as with collecting baseball cards, one's hobby/collection needs not be "practical" :lol:

A few other patterns come to mind, such as daggers.
The Fairbairn Sykes dagger- not very practical, or the "Arkansas Toothpick" style- same. These serve one purpose... far as i can tell.

I can't leave home with a khukuri, while leaving a Buck/Microtech/Gerber on the desk... on the contrary, i collect khuks, and will use them as needed, but the EDC (not necessarily collected/collectible) is one you never leave behind. There are some knives that you'd never collect, however... they're great in the toolbox because of rugged construction or low cost. How about those guthook skinners? Great for hunting, but not a design i'd ever want to collect.

If i was in some sand pit or jungle seeking out Al-Queda or the like, and i ran out of ammo... i'd hope to have a Ka-bar... but even still, our modern issue bayonets may be practical in the same way as a Ka-bar. I don't know when we did away with those "Spike" type bayos in exchange for the "Rambo-Bayo" but i think it was an improvement... and makes a better tool for prying crates or doors, etc. I still believe one needs a knife to rely on other than that bayonet tho.

Now me, i can't decide what to stick in my pocket for EDC even when i know i won't need to cut anything.... I can't imagine trying to pick one or two knives for a serious mission where my ass (and other's asses) are on the line. I'm pretty happy i don't have to.

Mr. Vagrant, :idea:

What is the practical application of the Italian picklock these days? :D :shock:
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

What is the practical application of the Italian picklock these days?

I hope someone has an answer or I'll look real dumb sitting her saying " er, er, um, well, let me think about it".
Gonzo_Beyondo

Post by Gonzo_Beyondo »

rather interesting isn't it? they even come with bayonet blades!! :lol:
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

BUT beautiful bayonet blades! [hows that for a 9th inning save?]