Bayonet's

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Gonzo,

The design of the stiletto, picklock included, is for stabbing purposes. Practical? Sure, if you want to stab someone. I just like to play with them. Thats my practical purpose.

Best Regard's,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
Gonzo_Beyondo

Post by Gonzo_Beyondo »

Mr. Vagrant,

Yep, i agree....

however, on one hand you have a dare i say "novelty" item with a bayonet blade...

vs. the other hand which is a serious hunk of steel, which will serve as a hell of a pry bar, tent stake, rifle accessory, or rapid-blood-evacuator...

while neither handles cutting chores very well, they certainly are both very cool in their own way.

I was thinking also, about another whole concept in bayonet use-

psychological.
This is, of couse, another thing shared in common with the Italian picklock!

When "Peacekeeping", a rifle sporting 8-15" of cold hard steel makes for a very effective problem-prodder. There is something about a rifle with that bayo affixed that makes the person holding it seem more business-like. Such is the "snap" of the stiletto as well, so feared that the switchblade was banned.

Luckily the bayonet is not yet banned, only the assault rifles you attach them to... but hey, give it time!

As it is, police must abandon black uniforms so as not to intimidate the sheeple... One can only conclude that it's just a matter of time till our military is clad in Officially Licensed Richard Simmons hot pink workout jumpers carrying Nerf guns and Super-soakers.
Gonzo_Beyondo

Post by Gonzo_Beyondo »

Bonzo wrote:Mr. Gonzo,

The design of the stiletto, picklock included, is for stabbing purposes. Practical? Sure, if you want to stab someone. I just like to play with them. Thats my practical purpose.
Agreed Mr. Bonzo.

I love many many types of knives... yet i fear the day i'd ever have no other choice but to use a blade on a person.

I can tell you it would'nt be anything along the lines of a bayo blade...

it would be the EDC: a MT SOCOM full-size elite M/A ...
or a 24" blade khukuri which is at-the-ready as a home-intrusion-repair-tool.

My fascination with knives is not about weaponry...
i am what a woman is to footwear -
i am what a gay man is to paintings -
i am what a blind man is to braile -
i am a straight man with blade art :lol:

now wtf was this thread about anyways???
Mors Profundis

Post by Mors Profundis »

As a soldier who saw close fighting in the 'nam, let me tell you, a bayonet can be handy-but not often.
The odd thing about the term bayonet blade for spring knives, is that the thing referred to is actually a knife!
The blade in question is really called a knife-bayonet, and was designed as a trench knife in 1942-later it was modified to serve as a bayonet for the M-1 Carbine.
I was so useful as a knife, it was adopted as the standard pattern for all bayonets thereafter, and is still in use today.
The Rambo knife bayonet is only issued to light infantry units, and they hate it, it's brittle and hard to sharpen.
As for pistols, well, the fixed bayonet is there when you're changing magazines, and a pistol has to be drawn-that can take time.
Modern repeating rifles have made bayonets less useful-firefights are short affairs.
If a guy were to be picky-I'm not, but precise language saves time and misunderstandings- the blade shapes of the Italian bow-tie knife would be standard, dirk,dagger and flamboyant.
Dirk,which refers to a single-edged stabbing blade, came to apply to knives with a swedge because Scottish dirks were often made from the broken foibles(the third of a sword blade closest to the point) of military backswords, which usually had a swedge.
Wavy blades are called flamboyant-the kris often as not has a straight blade.
Diamond section knives are called daggers, most of the time.
As for the standard blade, I like to call it Corsican, as the Corsican fighting knife has this kind of shape, but that's just me.
It could just as easily be called a dirk, but why confuse things any more?
The kukuri is descended from the Greek kopis knife-Alexander's men brought it to the East, where it stayed in many forms, cutting and stabbing shapes exist(the yataghan, the flyssa,the choora,the Afghan knife)and evolved from the wasp waisted Greek sword in a single edge form.
Bayonets are reaching the end of the road-but until the assault rifle came along, they were most useful to the infantryman.
Life has no value, but death has it's price
DISTORTION

Post by DISTORTION »

I personally hold the bayonet in high-regard,im just gonna take in
the varying opinions on this thread.............

it is,after all just a fieldknife that convieniently attatches to the
muzzle of a rifle,unbalanced pike that it is,still 100% more deadly
on the battlefield than an empty weapon.
The first step in avoiding a trap,
is knowing of its existance...................
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

DISTORTION wrote:I personally hold the bayonet in high-regard,im just gonna take in
the varying opinions on this thread.............

it is,after all just a fieldknife that convieniently attatches to the
muzzle of a rifle,unbalanced pike that it is,still 100% more deadly
on the battlefield than an empty weapon.
A poorly balanced field knife.
No where near as deadly as even a revolver, and an auto beats the revolver.
Usually made very well and of excellent materials but an unbalanced pike is no better than an unbalanced rifle. Combining the two was only valid when firearms were single shot. It takes longer to "fix bayonets" then it does to reload with a full magazine. No more magazines use a pistol. An average pistol shooter is equal to several men with bayonets.
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

mr mors P - that was some great info there, thanks!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

mrbigg wrote:mr mors P - that was some great info there, thanks!
Fantastic! post!!!!!!! but given a choice between a bayonet and a Model 1911-A1 .45 auto I'll take the pistol [for fighting]. . A good "pistolero" can take out several "pikemen" before they ever reach him, hopefully someone on his side can reload while he keeps the "bad guys" at bay. [I can empty a magazine, and reload in the time it takes to "fix bayonet"]. Even if I missed 100% [yeah sure] it would be 100% of people now behind cover. But they are great for opening crates, cutting como wire, fixing dinner, morale, and collecting.
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

But you can't pick your teeth with a .45 auto. :wink:
I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The Falcon wrote:But you can't pick your teeth with a .45 auto. :wink:
LOL - no but, you can pick the other guys teeth.
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

It's not really "pickin' " when you blast somebody's dentures through the the back of their skull. It does loosen up those pesky popcorn husks though. :wink:
Mors Profundis

Post by Mors Profundis »

Only a few understand the true potential of a bayonet.
The rifle and bayonet as a weapon weighs in at around ten pounds-doesn't have to be sharp, many late bayonets had points like a screwdriver, because that weight will drive the blade in very handily.
Bayonets are rarely sharp-the blade section was simply for looks.
Knife bayonets are sharp, as they are primarily used as knives.
Some bayonets had a saw back-these were used by engineers for field construction.(Don't get caught with one of these in action, the gentlemen from the other firm think they were made to cause injury, and are inclined to do bad things to those who carry them.)
The old style rifle, when fitted with a bayonet was a scunnion bringing weapon, shoot, stab, hit(knew a fellow who got hit with a rifle butt in WWII, but a very scared German-he said it hurt worse than being shot)and parry.
New style assault rifles just don't have the balance for good bayonet work-nor do they need it, too much firepower.
Still, the arme blanche(a term for military blades, mostly swords)is often the thing that makes 'em run in the assault.
A few nuggets-it looks like a bayonet, but doesn't attach to a rifle(no fittings to lock to the lug)-it's a sidearm.
Riflemen do not carry bayonets, they carry a sword(which attaches to the rifle just fine), at least in the old British Army rifle regiments.
Some idea of the military mind at work-in the first Gulf War, thousands of M10 trench knives were made(to be sold off at gunshows for a few dollars) even though armories were bursting with various bayonets with the same blade.
The Iraqis had lots of trenches, so we needed trench knives-and the specs went out.
The M10 has a flat guard, not the angled top-guard of the M-3 knife, and uses the plastic grips of the current knife bayonet series, but otherwise, it's just the old M-3.
The Iraqis would never stay around long enough to be stabbed-or even shot with small arms, the buggers.
As for pistols-most professional soldiers despise them.
I don't entirely agree, having used them effectively enough in action, but a pistol is more of a liability on the battlefield-too many accidents, even homicides when tempers get frayed.
And for the weight of a pistol, you can carry several rifle magazines.
A good knife is a tool, an eating utensil and a comfort(even if false most of the time) to the soldier.
And the Swiss but a bottle opener on the bayonet because they issue beer to their troops as part of their rations, and the soldiers would use the lips of rifle magazines to open the bottles.
To save the damage this caused to the very expensive magazines(and the Swiss will spend money on military gear, perhaps because they never use it, and it lasts a long time, so quality pays) the Swiss Army adopted a bottle opener notch on the bayonet.
Twist off caps may end this trend.
Finally, the Swiss Army Officer's Knife is a privately purchased item(officers in various armies used similar pocket knives, but the Swiss was the best)mostly useful for grooming and eating in the field.
The knife that most armies will grudgeingly issue to Joe Shit, the Rag Man(enlisted personel) is a camping knife of the same sort used by the Scouts.
For once, they got it right.
Life has no value, but death has it's price
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

fundus,

I had no idea! :shock:
Wally J. Corpse
Level Zero: True Jerk

Post by Wally J. Corpse »

Greetings, Mr. Vagrant-

I found that the most useful feature on my after market AR-15 bayonet was the saw tooth along the top o' the blade. When affixed to rifle, it made short work of the hollow core bedroom door that the Mrs. was nah-nah -ing me from behind.

AS ever,

Your ol' pal,

Wally J. Corpse
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Greetings Wally,
That's better then using your head like I've done. [You didn't think I was born like this did you?]