A little advice

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Re: A little advice

Post by Vagrant »

The use of "we" only indicates, that appealing the lowest common denominator is a sure thing. "Free stuff" will always appeal to those who have no desire to earn a damn thing, and have "uncle sugar" provided them with everthing they are too lazy to earn.
Confusing a majority those who voted, with those who could/should have, proves a misuse of majority instead of plurality.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Vagrant wrote:N.H. has been "invaded" by Massholes :evil: The further you go west in Mass. the more real people you find :idea: It is like another state [but, they are easily out voted by urbanites]. The same is happening here. The idiots moving in are from the Boston mega-urban area. They want to "get away from it all" but, bring it all with them, they expect sidewalks and street lights because they are afraid to walk in the woods [at night]. They want nice lawns but can't deal with a field or woods too close :roll:
I find this very sad. Humans want to "get away from it all" and the rich can afford to do so but once in the country they miss their luxury resorts,then spas,restaurants and next thing you know the lovely countryside is turned into a golf course.
This has happened in Nevada,New Mexico,Arizona,Idaho amd the one that bothers me most is Montana. And believe me the locals hate this.

Sorry to those that enjoy golf,I mean no disrespect but I semi-agree with George here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4w7H48tBS8
heviarti

Post by heviarti »

Here we have Californians. Nobody likes 'em. With the exception of my neighbor Kelly who is acclimating. He is learning to farm.
I walked a mile in my enemy's shoes.... And then I stole his shoes.
ZeroPage

Post by ZeroPage »

Veech12 wrote: **** ZERO-relevance. I'm glad my attempts at achieving some understanding of others has led you to believe I've "achieved a grand debasement of the majority of this nation's people". I guess I'll just remind you...you've lost,again. You will live within this country's evolution or forever be sad and pathetically wanting for what used to be. If it sounds like I'm talking down to you and rubbing your face in smut,it's because I am. :lol:

Considering that "smut" doesn't concern me, and has no discernible relevance, except your stroking of your excessive ego.

Though I'm laughing pretty hard right now at your use of the word "evolution", because nothing of that character is happening. You believe, despite all empirical evidence to the contrary that human nature is somehow malleable. Your ideology posits that massively centralized power can somehow not be corrupt. Corruption of power is a human trait, if it ceases to be the case that can only mean that people have ceased to be human, and there are no signs of that occurring. In fact your snide insistence of an "inevitable tide of history" gives away your ideological underpinnings based in late 19th century anti-enlightenment mechanistic thinking. You think that only if you can exert enough control you can make a utopia.

You say "evolution", when your ideals are in fact a "devolution". You prefer a state that operates like some demented totalitarian state with only "the best of intentions". Good intentions have a habit of causing more problems than they're worth. You misuse the word "evolution" while buying the votes of the lower classes by looting and pillaging the productive classes. Thus you show weaker character than even the classical corrupt politicians who at least had the decency to buy votes with wealth out of their own pockets.

I'm laughing still. I'm in no way sad, because I know you will ultimately fail, as all such utopian silliness does past a point. Your ideas will not work, but unlike my culture who would acknowledge that and call for a new policy or abolition of the old if there is no workable solution, you will simply go around finding someone else to blame, because you're so convinced of the purity of your intentions and the perfection of your own ideas. Responsibility isn't one of your cultural values, you replaced it with hubris.

No, I will have a lot of laughter ahead. Every time the unintended consequences of your ideas comes back to bite you in your backside, I will laugh. Every time your ideas outright fail and you start blaming scapegoats in a temper tantrum, I will laugh. As the standard of living plummets, I will laugh. Every time you drone on about democracy and then engage in manufacture of consent, I will laugh. And finally, as everything slips through your fingers, I will laugh. And I will also have the last laugh.
"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves."
-Lao Tzu
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

HURRAH, Mr. ZeroPage!

Mos' eloquent post, but alas, I fear you are "casting your pearls before swine."
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
heviarti

Post by heviarti »

Well... I think a figurative pig just received a figurative pearl necklace.
Aw, Snap!
ZeroPage

Post by ZeroPage »

JerrBear wrote:HURRAH, Mr. ZeroPage!

Mos' eloquent post, but alas, I fear you are "casting your pearls before swine."

There is no sport in a battle of wits with the unarmed. But then again, I do enjoy plinking.
"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves."
-Lao Tzu
Veech12

Post by Veech12 »

ZeroPage wrote:

There is no sport in a battle of wits with the unarmed. But then again, I do enjoy plinking.
***Very nicely written,truly. It fails when you suggest my assertion is something other than my original intent,which was to point out the failings and lack of acceptance by the GOP to aknowledge they need voters of all colors and races. Regarding power,and corruption..I think no differently than you do. You too though make the obvious mistake of thinking everyone that voted a certain way received a handout of sorts or that I personally am below what you refer to as the "productive classes". Big mistake and a very common error from the fox news generation. I question your concept of evolution. Are you suggesting that we as a society have not evolved considering the advancements in technology just within the last fifty years? Medicine,electronics,arts,music,etc. If so, I wonder what it is you'd consider advancement/evolution. If you'd care to suggest that somehow my original assertion was wrong,I'll further engage you. If not,talk politics with those here that are like minded. I was mildly disappointed with your analogy. I'd hoped for something more along the weaponless gunfighter lines. I enjoy plinking too. Keep laughing,it really is way better than whining. I personally don't laugh at the failings of society,I strive to make it better for all of us. I do laugh at a party that makes excuses for what the rest of the world considers as just due.
ZeroPage

Post by ZeroPage »

Veech12 wrote:
ZeroPage wrote:

***Very nicely written,truly. It fails when you suggest my assertion is something other than my original intent,which was to point out the failings and lack of acceptance by the GOP to aknowledge they need voters of all colors and races.
Ah yes, the "Republicans are racist" trope, I've noticed that mental midget Chris Mathews seems to like to use that one so much that by this time next year the word "racist" will have no meaning. Last time I checked, Allan West, Herman Cain, Condoleeza Rice, Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz, Michelle Malkin, and Walter Williams weren't WASPs. Though I'm sure a Republican can expand this area a bit more, since I'm not one.

Regarding power,and corruption..I think no differently than you do.
No, you apparently do not. The ideas you espouse support for have a common thread of concentrating more power into fewer hands, which creates a breeding ground for corruption. Nor am I inclined to trust people who think as you do. A good example was apparently what some of your ilk though would be a cute response to the recent wave of secession petitions, a petition to have everyone who signed them gone after for treason. So much for the enumerated protection of the right to petition for redress of grievance in the First Amendment eh? Seems like leftists only support rights when it is convenient, not exactly something that inspires any measure of trust with the levers of power.

You too though make the obvious mistake of thinking everyone that voted a certain way received a handout of sorts or that I personally am below what you refer to as the "productive classes". Big mistake and a very common error from the fox news generation.
It comes down to two groups of people who voted for The Chairwarmer. One, did so out of self-interest based on the leftist habit of engaging in class warfare rhetoric and promises of "free stuff" paid for by the demonized class. The other group, and the more malevolent one, is the group that voted for him because they see him as useful in expanding power by catering to the first group. FOX News didn't show up until I was well into my 20s and as Hev can attest, my political views were pretty well formed by then. But your hatred of FOX News shows. In reality they and MSNBC are the same, nothing but manufacture of consent just for different sides of a false political spectrum.

I question your concept of evolution. Are you suggesting that we as a society have not evolved considering the advancements in technology just within the last fifty years? Medicine,electronics,arts,music,etc. If so, I wonder what it is you'd consider advancement/evolution. If you'd care to suggest that somehow my original assertion was wrong,I'll further engage you.
Advanced technology does not make an individual or society more "evolved". Human beings today have no motivations and reactions in any way different from those of 6000 years ago. Methods and mechanisms may change, but human nature does not.

If not,talk politics with those here that are like minded. I was mildly disappointed with your analogy. I'd hoped for something more along the weaponless gunfighter lines. I enjoy plinking too. Keep laughing,it really is way better than whining. I personally don't laugh at the failings of society,I strive to make it better for all of us. I do laugh at a party that makes excuses for what the rest of the world considers as just due.
Voting for tired old disproven top-down concepts of "making things better" in no way makes things better, never mind that ideas of better and worse are pretty subjective. Making things better is something one does with their mind and their own two hands, not by feeding more power to the power crazed. Helping one's fellow man is not done by bureaucracies, attempts at social engineering, demonizing the wealthy, raising taxes, lowering taxes, forcing people to buy something they don't want, barring people from buying something they do want, restricting technology, or trying to coat the world in Nerf material. It's done by seeing a person's need, and doing something about it, right there, yourself. Be warned, doing so isn't tax-deductible. Your ideas, have already bankrupted one European country, threatens to bankrupt two others, and is about to bankrupt the U.S. But by all means, if experience is the only way you can learn, go right ahead, I'm financially secure enough that I'll weather the consequences of your ideas. But the question is, can you?
-Lao Tzu
heviarti

Post by heviarti »

Let me just weigh in with rule 73: Just because you have a CD player doesn't make you civilized.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Top down vs middle out.
When the Colt factory burned, Mrs. Colt payed workers until it was rebuilt, perhaps they should have payed her :idea:
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

heviarti wrote:Here we have Californians. Nobody likes 'em. With the exception of my neighbor Kelly who is acclimating. He is learning to farm.
Mr. HeavyArti,

Don't worry, they usually end up back here. Once they find out theres no welfare like CA welfare, they get really homesick for Moonbeam's teat.

Best regards,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
heviarti

Post by heviarti »

Naw, bonz, these is the kind with big dollars to buy a big house on a big place that they have precisely no idea what to do with.