A little advice

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
tequiza

Re: A little advice

Post by tequiza »

Vagrant wrote:The disagreement starts; Allen West and Marco Rubio :D
Good choice there too, how about Cain/Rubio with Allen West as secretary of defense :idea: :D
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
heviarti

Post by heviarti »

I'd like to see Norris-Ermey 2016.
I walked a mile in my enemy's shoes.... And then I stole his shoes.
Veech12

Post by Veech12 »

tequiza wrote:
Veech12 wrote:
tequiza wrote:veech, please post what you consider racially offensive material and i'll grade it on a scale of 1 to 10 :?:
"A mob of mental defectives killing Our Ambassdor, proves the b.s. I was taught in school, is more than b.s. [we are NOT "all the same" some of us are vastly superior]

I see opinions Vin, they may be bigoted depending on how you look at it but it's still just an opinion none the less!
Your kids are mixed race, you have black relstives, so what, please try and tell me they don't laugh at ethnic jokes ? I was born in Rochester NY and lived there for 28 years so i've heard them all, right now i'm in Guam, talk about a diversity of people, most get along but there is bigotry by the chamorro against the filipino's here, and we honkeys are called haoles but most people get along, if our situations were reversed I would still feel the same way as I do now, there has been bigotry and/or prejudice by one race against another since the world begain and will will still be here when it ends!!!

Another thing you keep posting is we don't like obama because he's black, you've been told several times it's his policies we don't like, if he ran on a conservative ticket and a white man ran on the liberal ticket, which would you vote for ?
***I see you choose not to use your 1-10 grading system on any of these remarks. I'd suggest your assessment is seriously flawed for any number of reasons. The first is your reluctance to distinguish opinion from fact. The vagrant clearly stated that he was taught in school some races are superior to others. A common error in the far right world as evidenced by your main news source's over confidence based on....nothing.
Secondly, your leanings towards protecting the wayward child like a poor single mother that just cannot believe her little one could ever really say something wrong.
Lastly, it's a Georgia thing. I was born in Georgia and know how it goes. No offense intended,honestly. No real surprise though. The good thing is you all have another four years in which to open your minds. Far right "opinions" are dying off,just like those that still consider them to be opinions. Very simple,obvious flaws in the validity aspect of your grading system. It's your playground, just stop kidding yourself. I'll keep an eye on things Pete, and when I bring them to your attention....I will try not to hurt anyones feelings too badly.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Another long babbling :roll: - For a guy that don't care for politics I sure post a lot of political articles and such.

Every human being has different views even though they are the same race,color,religion and or political points of view.
For example I have a hard right view on most problems we face today.(but global problems and the problems we face in the USA are not the same) However I have what some would call liberal views and I had to look "Liberal" and "Conservative" to realize I had views of a liberal,or least libs would most likely have these views over a conservative.
Many of us would find we simply "agree" on some issues as opposed to calling them one or the "other" points of view.
Liberals are more likely to appreciate the arts. Don't get me wrong,I don't go to plays or go to "hipster lounges' and listen to beatniks read-off some far-ot poetry but I do have a passion for art through the ages,from cave drawings to some modern day artists. I will elaborate on this another time.
I come from a long history of gun owners/hunters and I am a huge supporter of this,however the "lib" in me hates to see animals killed for the sake of killing.
Yes this would be fine with me if these animals were not endangered. But the ones I hate to see hunted offer no food value(for the most part) such as mountain lions/puma,bears,wolves,alligators and American crocodiles are fine if they are a problem but why not farm them? They are easily raised and the skins are better quality.
Animals such as elephants,lions,tigers(or any big cat),rhinos and whales being hunted is an absolute atrocity in my eyes. Slaughtering sharks only for their fins is...well I have no word for this sin against nature.
I am referring to endangered animals! There are billions of zebras,antelopes,buffalo(not to be mistaken for the American bison)
As for the gun or caliber used? I say use whatever you darn well please. I know several people,some down in Texas that use an AK style rifle for hog hunting,but these are not a 65 lb. wild boar,these are 700 lb feral hogs. This is fine by me,these things are highly destructive. Heck I would use a 458 Win Mag or a 375 H&H if I had one :lol:

The next issues I do not consider Liberal or Conservative because I don't have an honest opinion about the subjects.
Legalizing pot,gay marriage and abortion.
The only thing is that there is a "moral" issue I disagree with on abortion but this would not keep me from voting for a certain person if he/she had better ideas for the economy,kids future,public schools etc.
It is a pitiful damn shame that the Pledge of Allegiance was taken away. As for prayer that is the parents choice,if a child wishes to say a prayer say it silently and eat their PB&J.

I'm not for the gay marriage but it does not affect me nor bother me. In the late 80's I dated a sweet little girl that worked with a gay black guy in a shoe store and he and I became buddies.
He was funny as heck,we went out to a few pubs and he would always try to pick a girl he thought was my type. I made jokes of him being gay and he made fun of me for being an inbred redneck :lol:
So if that is not a "double whammy" I don't know what is.

One last rant- It is a shame the nation has become so divided and Mr. Veech you made a very good point,until 2008 I had no idea how many friends of mine were Liberals.
I honestly feel isolated now because 90% of these guys don't come around anymore. I didn't go anywhere..."they" drifted away from me.
And let me say this,I have had political discussions with each and every one and never once did they mention a legitimate reason for believing what the believe only because someone "told" them something.
I have more female conservative friends than I do(or did) male friends. However I think we use the term "friend" a little loosely at times.
Since I have been here at the forum I consider many of the members here friends and they would be welcome in my home any time day or night.
Chrisadamley

Post by Chrisadamley »

Thats a good post viking.

I really believe if there came a republican president that was said they would end "the war on drugs"....allow gay marriage....and make abbortions legal....And also had a solid plan to get our debt under control. They would easily win.

I think most people know that our debt needs to be taken care of. But they aren't willing to give up their other civil liberties if it means voting a guy in that will take care of our economic situation.

Granted if a republican did ever come along like that...they would have a hell of a time making people BELIEVE thats what they actually believed in and weren't just lying to get votes. They would have to have a record of it in the past.
heviarti

Post by heviarti »

I get sick of the whole right/left thing. In the end it's 'everything is running properly' or 'gigantic cluster.....something'. I categorically refuse to pigeonhole myself into a 'party line', though that does have some disadvantages.

So, point by point vike, here it goes:
The arts are a necessity, and I occasionally enjoy even opera. I don't, however, feel that a cross in a bottle of pee constitutes art. I'm not a half bad artist myself.

I don't see much sense in killing some animals just to kill. I will say that Starlings, Pigeons, Rock Chucks, Whistle Pigs and perhaps a few others are things I will kill to be rid of. I haven't yet decided where I stand on the English Sparrow. There are a few other birds I might kill were it legal, but only when they get out of hand.

As to no food value, I disagree in the case of bear. It's greasy, but I know several people who eat 'em. Also, bear grease. There really are a few of us in the back country who still use it. Not myself, but my father. 'Course he collects misery whips too...

Wolf, coyote, mountain lion, badger, skunk, and coon can all cause trouble. I'll kill them if they cause problems and the last three if I find them on my place.

I really don't think the government has much reason to prohibit ownership of any firearm or weapon of conventional warfare that tends to be used by one man againsy an enemy or small group of enemy. I think that there are things that are and are not acceptable for hunting. Idaho's laws are pretty sensible in most cases. The only thing I disagree with is the maximum weight rule. I also feel that if you have the stones to hunt with a 4 or 8 bore rifle, more power to you. If you think pigs are bad, find an article in (I think) american hunter called 'bulls of the rio bravo'. I'd not consider anyone stupid or out of hand if they took a .50 after those. They're as mean as cape buffalo.

Legalizing pot? I say bring it all back. Let the weak willed kill themselves with tweak or heroin or coke. If someone wants to smoke weed, that's fine. Just don't drive while stoned. Abortion, I say I have no say since I don't have a uterus, and am not the father of any of the kids in question. I think that that's a women's issue, and they sould have primary control over it. The only time a man weighs in is in such case as he is the sire of the child by consentual means and the carriage of the infant isn't bound to kill the mother.

I don't mind the homosexuals, if they avoid going around with a bullhorn yelling that they're gay. When was the last time you saw a heterosexual pride parade? My views are based on what I feel is right, and what has become apparent as problems. A bunch of these gun control people have (drumroll) never fired a gun. If they will consent, I take them shooting. Generally that changes their views. Dosing with reality is always a good fix for inhereted beliefs.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Sorry I am using my girlfriend's computer,I have "Spell Check" on my computer :oops:

I became a member here in 2005,lost my password and didn't return until 08 and became a participating member in 09.
What drew me back was the fact I loved the discussions going on in "Al's" section and the "Off Topic".

Fact is our political discussions have run-off many treasured members and to this day I feel politcal dicussions are or may not be a good idea on an open knife collector's forum.
However look around and this makes us a one-of-a-kind forum.
We are allowed to speak our minds but we keep it in the "tame" mode (for the most part).

One of the most important reasons(to me) I stay here is not just the fellowship of knife collectors but the like minded individuals I have grown to love over the years.
This is my home away from home (internet speaking).

Our United States has changed and our values have varied but to some they have remained the same...,only the leaders have changed(and not always to our likings)

I am here for the knives and the stories that go along with the knives.

But again I feel I must steer away for only a moment...I am here for the stories but more so the bonding and friendship and the "like-minded" individuals I have met here and grown to care about with great passion.

I need to wear reading glasses now and age has got a grip on me,but I am not blind as to where this nation is heading and people like Al,Pete,Tryk,Natch,Bonz,Jerr,Panz,Hog,Arti,CA,BTB and so many more(you know who you are) (I hate listing names,I always miss someone) have made me realize I have friends here and it's not a matter of "if" but "when" and I want to know that if I make a move soon I have friends that would welcome me and I have something to offer other than a state-of-mind.

If folks do not like our ramblings and political talks then simply move on. As I do not believe for a second I am alone in this mindset.
I feel bad listing names because there are lots of us and I like to include every member here, but those that hang around down here in Al's world and "Off Topic" know who you are.

If I have offended anyone I am terribly sorry but this is not 1967 and the USA has turned it's back on it's citizens and most importantly it's patriots,warriors and well over a million dead soldiers and their families.
This is a very bold statement I know :shock:

I am used to coming back and deleting my posts,but tonight I stand.
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

Viking45 wrote:Sorry I am using my girlfriend's computer,I have "Spell Check" on my computer :oops:

I became a member here in 2005,lost my password and didn't return until 08 and became a participating member in 09.
What drew me back was the fact I loved the discussions going on in "Al's" section and the "Off Topic".

Fact is our political discussions have run-off many treasured members and to this day I feel politcal dicussions are or may not be a good idea on an open knife collector's forum.
We are allowed to speak our minds but we keep it in the "tame" mode (for the most part).

One of the most important reasons(to me) I stay here is not just the fellowship of knife collectors but the like minded individuals I have grown to love over the years.

Our United States has changed and our values have varied but to some they have remained the same...,only the leaders have changed(and not always to our likings)

But again I feel I must steer away for only a moment...I am here for the stories but more so the bonding and friendship and the "like-minded" individuals I have met here and grown to care about with great passion.

I need to wear reading glasses now and age has got a grip on me,but I am not blind as to where this nation is heading and people like Al,Pete,Tryk,Natch,Bonz,Jerr,Panz,Hog,Arti,CA,BTB and so many more(you know who you are) (I hate listing names,I always miss someone) have made me realize I have friends here and it's not a matter of "if" but "when" and I want to know that if I make a move soon I have friends that would welcome me and I have something to offer other than a state-of-mind.

If folks do not like our ramblings and political talks then simply move on. As I do not believe for a second I am alone in this mindset.
I feel bad listing names because there are lots of us and I like to include every member here, but those that hang around down here in Al's world and "Off Topic" know who you are.

If I have offended anyone I am terribly sorry but this is not 1967 and the USA has turned it's back on it's citizens and most importantly it's patriots,warriors and well over a million dead soldiers and their families.

Quoted for truth :!: :!: :!: :!:

BTW, your welcome in Ga anytime !!! :D
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
Veech12

Post by Veech12 »

Viking45 wrote:Sorry I am using my girlfriend's computer,I have "Spell Check" on my computer :oops:

***** I agree with 90% of your post. As hard as it may be to consider,I have more things in common with all of you than I do differences. I love and collect switchblades, I am a CC handgun holder,my family has a long history of military service, my favorite car and the one I most regret losing was a 72 Chevelle SS...like Hogwild's,though not as nice as his. I agree it is great to have a place to discuss anything,politics can be dicey and has proven to be the downfall of other forums. Even politics can be discussed with some guidelines. Before the first Obama win I never felt the need to take issue with any postings because the issues never became racially,ethnically,or religiously charged. As a young man I promised myself I would no longer be a part of discussions like that and do my best to point out how wrong I felt they were. I've had arguments with my brothers and walked out of many an ethnic joke. Ironically,my one brother was the National Fireman's Fitness Ideal for ten years is involved in a lawsuit against the city of Buffalo regarding affirmative action promotions within the Fire Department. Otherreligions and races share our same commonalities,believe it or not. Pete mentioned being a part of or in proximity to racial or ethnic jokes...I'm not and won't be. When my kids (first set of kids now 36 and 38 years old) were growing up the only words they would get their mouths washed out for were Ni**er,Fag**t, and ret**d. They never used them anyway. I will always believe we can move forward in human relations. I agree further that this country has done a terrible job with veterans and I always hope we as a country consider very carefully before sending them off to fight...anywhere. Where we differ is in thinking the country is on the wrong track. I don't. We have problems that can be worked out if our elected officials can find a way to work together and ignore the far left and the far right.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Thanks Pete. Same goes,you and yours are welcome in my home any time.

Mr. Veech,The relationship between members here should be one of respect and understanding. A man does not have his beliefs for nothing. I hope to see you post more often and perhaps your views will help many of us including myself to understand where you're coming from.
I hope in the future we can come down here and discuss matters,keep it civil and just talk like gentlemen(well that leaves me out) :lol: and put our heads together.
There are so many intelligent people here,I am often blown away with the things said here and I always think- "I wish I said that"
Just like what's happening in our country,we seem to focus on our differences instead of what we agree on.

The one thing that bothered me the most about the president had absolutely nothing to do with skin color but his vagueness and lack of speaking clear and precise about his agenda.
All we heard was hope and change....well I "hope" things "change". My feelings are still the same,I don't "want" to dislike the man,I still have hopes he will do something amazing for us.
One would have to be a fool to want him to fail.
As time goes on like every other man before him dirt on him comes to light and most other presidents in the past had dirt I could live with.
I mean look at Clinton,the big thing was his "I didn't inhale" quote. Hell the nation laughs,jokes and completely accepts that the O-man smoked dope.
Have we grown so "conditioned" or is this kind of behavior "accepted' as a norm?
Not in my eyes.

I would love to see this nation come together and work through and bring our economy back.
But meanwhile the people should work together and at least try to get along.
Krab-E

Post by Krab-E »

When I was a kid I's taught one should never, in polite company, discuss religion or politics. Or was it the politics of religion/religion of politics? Bearing in mind, I'm on the outside of the fishbowl looking in, but I think you're all very childish for believing (in) politicians. :roll: IMO they are compulsive liars, :shock: especially when it comes to securing your vote.
I'd rather have a Bottle-in-Front-of-me, than a Frontal-Lobotomy!
heviarti

Post by heviarti »

I'm not so much interested in politics, but 'how stupid can the government get?'. I guess I'm kind of waiting to hear someone make the statement that many russians made about the deepest days of communism: they stated that it was like reality was suspended, and they merely accepted. I think we're getting there, with the fireproof cigarettes being an example.

I think if we can't have enough of a sense of humor to accept an ethnic joke it's also a problem. I don't get all butthurt when someone tells an irish or jewish joke... I've never heard a finnish joke. I say if you i dentify yourself as something, you should not expect other people to consider you as something other than that which you identify yourself. I have yet to walk up to anyone of german descent and say 'Yo yo yo my Kraut, what it is?' I am one, and they are one, but if we expect people to not say it, we don't promulgate it's usage. Take a trip to 4chan sometime. I guarantee you you'll see every one of those words you'd have washed your kids' mouth out for. I don't feel there's an 'R' word. I think folks are getting waaaaaaay too prickly over that. It's not a problem if you're not insulting someone who is factually victimized by the term you're using. I use another of those words to refer to my previous employer. He's of western european ancestry, so I do not insult his race. I insult his behavior; which is acceptable.

As to religion, the two groups I have a personal problem withhave proven where they stand. I have always said that any beleif system which aqllows itself to be forced on someone is inherently flawed. I have to stop ttyping. I have a huge headache
Krab-E

Post by Krab-E »

OMG, Are people making jokes about White Trash? :shock: -I am so upset & offended :roll: .
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Krab-E wrote:OMG, Are people making jokes about White Trash? :shock: -I am so upset & offended :roll: .
"White Trash," the forgotten minority...
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
Krab-E

Post by Krab-E »

I feel like a persecuted minority: White, Middle-Aged & Hetrosexual :( !
Oh, & why come veech didn't have a go at John Lennon? Did not he say/sing; Woman is the nigger of the World? -Racist & Sexist.