I had NO clue !!!!!

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

I had NO clue !!!!!

Post by Vagrant »

http://www.newjerseynewsroom.com/profes ... -invention
I am astonised a NAZI idea persists :(
catavengercaptain

Re: I had NO clue !!!!!

Post by catavengercaptain »

Meanwhile the Olympics refuses to take a moment of silence for the Israeli athletes killed at the Munich Olympics 40 years ago.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

But, they will use Hitler's idea far longer :roll:
Fishman

Post by Fishman »

I hope no one else also likes highways, Volkswagens, NASA, or about one quarter of modern medicine...
"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him." - Twain
Fishman

Post by Fishman »

Also welfare, anti-smoking campaigns, animal conservation, animal rights, etc...

Oh my god, we're all Nazis! :roll:
"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him." - Twain
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The reason we beat the Russians to the moon - our German scientists were better than their German scientists :wink:
catavengercaptain

Post by catavengercaptain »

We could live without the ugly bug cars
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

catavengercaptain wrote:We could live without the ugly bug cars
That's what I was thinking...
:P HO! HO! :P
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
hogwild
Location: Proudly chasing the dollar to "share" with parasites

Post by hogwild »

Fishman wrote:Also welfare, anti-smoking campaigns, animal conservation, animal rights, etc...

Oh my god, we're all Nazis! :roll:
Those were BS ideas too. Except for PETA (people eating tasty animals); love wild game.
The worst evils which mankind has ever had to endure were inflicted by bad governments.
Ludwig von Mises
Fishman

Post by Fishman »

Those were BS ideas too. Except for PETA (people eating tasty animals); love wild game.
Animal rights and wildlife conservation don't have to come at the expense of eating meat or hunting. It just means you hunt responsibly so the people who come after you can do the same, and you don't stab puppies to death with a screwdriver for your own amusement. It doesn't have to go any further than that...
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The interstate highway hi-way system copied the autobahn :idea:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 421AAFxRaX
The modern U.S. interstate highway system is modeled after the German autobahn. President Eisenhower inagurated the interstate highway program and there is probably a correlation between his experience in Germany during World War II and this program. Another interesting note is that after World War I Eisenhower lead an Army convoy across the United States, a trip that took several weeks. So from personal experience it seems logical that Eisenhower admired the autobahns and understood the importance of safe, direct routes to commerce as well as national defense.
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

He stated that the interstate highway was based on what he saw in Germany, he said it helped them greatly in war and that if we hoped to be modern we would need to implement a similar system.

Also, wernt they originally meant ONLY for military and emergency use?
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Since childhood I always thought the Olympic Flame originated in ancient Greece.
I was told a flame was kept burning during the ceremonies or whatever. :?:

Another thing about Hitler...and yes there were so cool things about the a-hole. He knew the importance of roads because he studied and admired the ancient Romans and was aware that they knew that roads were the key to moving large armies great distances and the people were taxed.
The Autobahn has no road signs blocking the natural views (unlike American roads :roll: ) The concrete is over two feet thick.

As far as Adolf goes- Hitler called for a meeting with Ferdinand Porsche. Porsche was also working on a weird-looking but inexpensive car at that very time. He met Hitler, and was asked to build a car with the following specifications:
It must be able to carry 3 adults and two children.
It should have a mileage of 42mpg, and
Have a top speed of 100 kmh.
Hitler also told that the car should look like a Maikaefer - a May beetle, and also delivered a sketch of the design. Hitler himself sketched the design, at a restaurant table in Munich in 1932.
Attachments
may-beetle.jpg
may-beetle.jpg (51.61 KiB) Viewed 4084 times
volkswagen prototype.jpg
volkswagen prototype.jpg (29.59 KiB) Viewed 4087 times
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Viking45 wrote:Since childhood I always thought the Olympic Flame originated in ancient Greece.
I was told a flame was kept burning during the ceremonies or whatever. :?:
That's what I thought :? The Greeks [and Romans, "Vestal Vrgins"] both kept flames going at times. But, the "Passing of the tourch" is pure Hitler :idea:
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Viking,

The bug was specifically designed for the colonization of North Africa. Der Phuckhead also demanded the bug have an air-cooled engine, and be able to traverse sand. He didn't want the inhabitants of his colonies to get stuck in sand, or overheat due to lack of water.

A little more trivia for ya.

Best regards,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson