Scripture has the answer ;]

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Scripture has the answer ;]

Post by Vagrant »

I have often wondered why it is that the conservatives are called the right and the liberals are called the left. By chance I stumbled upon this verse in the Bible:

Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV) "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left."

The Bible has ALL the answers :idea:
Chrisadamley

Re: Scripture has the answer ;]

Post by Chrisadamley »

ORLY?

Just a few that i happened to come across

If a man commits adultery with another man's wife, both the man and the woman must be put to death. (Leviticus 20:10 NLT)

A priest's daughter who loses her honor by committing fornication and thereby dishonors her father also, shall be burned to death. (Leviticus 21:9 NAB)

If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her.
(Deuteronomy 22:28-29 NLT)

"Suppose a man has a stubborn, rebellious son who will not obey his father or mother, even though they discipline him. In such cases, the father and mother must take the son before the leaders of the town. They must declare: 'This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious and refuses to obey. He is a worthless drunkard.' Then all the men of the town must stone him to death. In this way, you will cleanse this evil from among you, and all Israel will hear about it and be afraid." (Deuteronomy 21:18-21 NLT)

Probably 100 more just as dispicable quotes i could pull :wink:
So therefore you can conclude that i beg to differ that the bible has "all" the answers.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The vast majority of Leviticus law, was only applied in extreme cases :idea:
Society stayed orderly out of fear :wink:
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Vagrant wrote:I have often wondered why it is that the conservatives are called the right and the liberals are called the left. By chance I stumbled upon this verse in the Bible:

Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV) "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left."

Ok so maybe the Bible doesn't have all the answers but it sure nailed that one :lol:
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Much Old Testament law was replaced with New Testament law. Baptism replaced circumcision, burnt offerings went away, the prohibition of eating pigs went away, etc. I'm no Bible scholar so I can't specifically address whether the examples cited by Chrisadamley were replaced with specific New Testament laws. I'll ask someone who can this Sunday.

Jim
jmack1944

Post by jmack1944 »

Vagrant wrote:
I refer to 'google' in my search for answers. 8)
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Vagrant wrote:I have often wondered why it is that the conservatives are called the right and the liberals are called the left. By chance I stumbled upon this verse in the Bible:

Viking45 wrote: Ok so maybe the Bible doesn't have all the answers but it sure nailed that one :lol:
SPOT ON!
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
Chrisadamley

Post by Chrisadamley »

This would seem to be the new testament....

Mark 5:29-30
Jesus recommends that to avoid sin we cut off our hands and pluck out our eyes. This advice is given immediately after he says that anyone who looks with lust at any women commits adultery. 5:29-30

Also, a question for vagrant, or whoever else i guess.

Why is it that christians pick and choose parts of the old testament they like, but then ignore the rest?
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Chrisadamley wrote:Also, a question for vagrant, or whoever else i guess.

Why is it that christians pick and choose parts of the old testament they like, but then ignore the rest?

It's just human nature- We choose the things that best fit our lives. (right or wrong)
Chrisadamley

Post by Chrisadamley »

Viking45 wrote:
Chrisadamley wrote:Also, a question for vagrant, or whoever else i guess.

It's just human nature- We choose the things that best fit our lives. (right or wrong)
Well i'm actually refering to the people that say something like...."The bible says this, so this is the way it should be"

Basically the people that try and justify a belief they have because the bible says it, so that somehow validates it. But then all the other things the bible says, they just kinda ignore :roll:
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Chrisadamley wrote: Why is it that christians pick and choose parts of the old testament they like, but then ignore the rest?
Mr. Chrisadamley,

Alas, it isn't just Christians - BOTH sides (Christians and Pagans) are equally guilty of this...
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
Chrisadamley

Post by Chrisadamley »

well i agree with that. I didn't mean to singel christians out. I just meant, somebody that believes in the bible. Or their holy book.

If they TRULY believe in it, they really shouldn't pick and choose what they think is right. What is right is was god put in the book right? Or is just "some" of the things he put in there right...and the rest we can just decide they aren't?

lol i just think its amusing :D
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Adamley,

Your confusion of the scriptures is quite normal with one who has self doubt. Once you have obtained the Key of David, the scriptures flow with understanding, the mystery is unlocked, and the true link between the books of the Bible become more clear. It's hard for some to achieve it, in fact, most Christians don't, even preachers. Confused? Open your mind, meditate on it, then ask God.

http://www.thekeyofdavid.org/

Best regards,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
Chrisadamley

Post by Chrisadamley »

Bonzo wrote:Mr. Adamley,

Your confusion of the scriptures is quite normal with one who has self doubt. Once you have obtained the Key of David, the scriptures flow with understanding, the mystery is unlocked, and the true link between the books of the Bible become more clear. It's hard for some to achieve it, in fact, most Christians don't, even preachers. Confused? Open your mind, meditate on it, then ask God.

http://www.thekeyofdavid.org/

Best regards,

Bonz
Hmmm, ok Bonz :shock:

I am not interpreting anything. I layed down a few quotes out of the bible as they are.

I also don't have self doubt :roll: ....

Bonz, just because a person doesn't blindly follow the word of the bible without question, doesn't mean they are unsecure or have self doubt. It fact it probably means the opposite. It means they are secure enough to question it, and bring up points in the bible that make completely no sense, or are horrific by human standards.

There are many, many, MANY points in the bible that directly contradict itself. In fact i would venture a guess that the bible is one of the most inconsistent books out there.

Comments like the one you just posted is the explanation given as to why the bible contradicts itself....."people just don't understand it". It's a book like any other, you don't need some devine understanding to know what its saying.
gramps

Post by gramps »

Chrisadamley, the Old Testament laws were written for a reason. That was to show us how we couldn't live by them, that's how impossible they were to live by, we couldn't! That's why we needed Christ and His grace.
All through the Old Testament shows the need for Christ and His Grace, as you study the Bible you start to find your answers, and a light bulb comes on.
The scripture that you quoted Mark 5:29:30, was Jesus saying that we may as well do that, but not. He doesn't prescribe self mutilation, but a rigid, moral self-denial. Completely different from what you may think He is saying. One must study the scriptures and your eyes will be open to the truth.

You see, none of us are without sin, no not one! That's because of the sin seed of Adam and Eve. Yes even the very best of us has sin. This is why no matter what we do, or did back then to wash away our sin, we still had it!...A never ending battle!
Back then there were a lot of horrendous laws to follow and some Jews still think they have to follow them because they don't recognize Jesus Christ as our Savior.
God is so Holy , He can not look apon us with all that sin we're covered in. We look very unacceptable to Him. Remember they couldn't even speak his name without going through all kinds of washing away the sin. It was a never ending battle, washing away that sin in order to converse with God back then...
Those who have asked Christ into their lives have now become cleansed through His blood, and when God the Father looks at them, he sees them wearing robes of righteousness, Holy and acceptable. You see Jesus wasn't conceived from the sin seed of Adam and Eve but was sent to us by God Himself, without sin.

If I've confused you just let me know and I'll try my best to help you understand but it may take a while, I'm still learning every day and it's been 27 years since I came to Christ.
One thing I won't do is argue, I will try and teach. I'll be able to tell if you have a hungry heart and are looking for answers, or just looking for arguments. It's up to you.
If I only knew!