Blow Gun

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
tanto27

Blow Gun

Post by tanto27 »

What is your favorite blow gun? I was looking at the Cold Steel 5ft and it seemed sweet.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Re: Blow Gun

Post by Vagrant »

My favorite is a 3' 50 cal.
I do have a Cold Steel 62 cal it is nice but, I prefer the lighter more versitile 50 cal :wink:
tanto27

Post by tanto27 »

What do you use yours for?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

tanto27 wrote:What do you use yours for?
Demonstrating at the flea, to increase sales :wink:
The little 40 cal, can do this :!:

Notice other spots in the frame-ring that suffered the same fate :idea:

tanto27

Post by tanto27 »

Very nice... We just usually shot a stuffed animal!
heviarti

Post by heviarti »

I guess the big question is whether you're hitting the frame on purpose? :wink:
I walked a mile in my enemy's shoes.... And then I stole his shoes.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

heviarti wrote:I guess the big question is whether you're hitting the frame on purpose? :wink:
Of course not :lol:
A damaged cone on the dart, a slightly bent dart, a little unexpected wind and stuff happens :wink:
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

tanto27 wrote:What is your favorite blow gun? I was looking at the Cold Steel 5ft and it seemed sweet.
The ColdSteel can do this :idea:
But the "broadhead darts" are VERY prone to bending and "cherry picking" good ones before shooting is a pain :idea:
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Tanto,

I prefer the Amazon .50 purchased directly from Mr. Vagrant at a very good price. I can get the .40 in Oregon, but the bigger ones seem to be harder to find. Naturally, they are banned in the no-fun state of CA. Great for friendly target shooting, pesky rodents, and irritating braindead sister inlaws.

Best regards,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
tanto27

Post by tanto27 »

Good to know!
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Back in the early 80's we owned a pawn shop and had a bunch of .38 cal blow guns. They came with a big string of orange beads and a bundle of spring wire.
I would make darts as long as 5/6 inches and heat one end and slide a bead down about an inch to inch and a half then add a second bead to the butt end.
Then I would sharpen the tip to a nice rounded point.
These were just an aluminum tube apprx 4 ft with a rubber mouth piece and a soft foam rubber sleeve for a grip.

Not bragging here but I could hit a beer can at over 70 feet. If the dart stuck in a tree I would have to use pliers to pull it out.
I would stand between the houses and shoot across the front lawn,the double wide street and hit a can sitting between the houses across the street.
My guess is about 70 feet.
It would hit the can and the beads would cave one side into the other side and sometime even rip the aluminum when the bead hits it.
These things were absolutely devastating and incredibly accurate.Of course I used a tree limb for a rest.
We found an old trailer tire/rim that was still full of air and the dart went through the heavy walled tire at least half way on a 5 or 6 inch dart at about 30/40 feet.

The power these things had was amazing and needless to say after all my buddies saw what mine could do we sold over two dozen of these in less than a month.

We would test the distance on an old barn door and although it took several lost darts we figured that by arching these things way up we could still hit the door at well over 150 feet.
And even at that distance we still had to use pliers to remove the dart.

This may sound far-fetched but I swear on the Bible. The things we did with these blow guns was unreal.

I stuck one within a foot of the top of a utility pole and it remained there for almost three years before a lineman pulled it out. :lol:

I hate to tell this story but I knew two brothers from the rough part of town and they raised fighting cocks(roosters) and a stray cat had killed two of his birds,one was a champion.
The older of the two brothers shot the cat and the dart hit him between the eyes and glanced off the skull and pierced the skin.
It went all the way to the bead and the the wire went through about an inch and a half of the skin.
This ole grey tom cat had an orange bead on his forehead and a 4 inch antenna sticking out for several days before he finally pulled it out.
For payback the cat killed another rooster about a month later. 8)
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Viking45 wrote:Back in the early 80's we owned a pawn shop and had a bunch of .38 cal blow guns. They came with a big string of orange beads 8)
I still have a VERY short string of those :wink:
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

I have a steel one about 4' long with a glass liner and rubber mouthpiece. Had it for decades. Don't shoot it anymore because heavy smoking has seriously decreased my lung power.

I used to make my ownself darts with beads and piano wire as Mr. Viking describes. Found them to be just as good as the cone-shaped factory darts.

EVERYONE should have one, as they are fun as hell to shoot!
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

Naturally, they are banned in the no-fun state of CA.
Why? Thats idotic, It dosent even make sense. How many blow-gun related crimes have their been in the past 10 years? I bet it's zero.
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

dark2023 wrote:
Naturally, they are banned in the no-fun state of CA.
Why? Thats idotic, It dosent even make sense. How many blow-gun related crimes have their been in the past 10 years? I bet it's zero.
Not saying I necessarily agree with the ban, but it's probably more of a safety issue than one having to do with crime. Like lawn darts.

btw, mods....the person who resurrected this thread is a spammer. See the link in his sigline.
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 08#p216408