Leverletto Repair

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Leverletto Repair

Post by Vagrant »

The dreaded "pinned/peened too tight/won't open fully :(
I've been trying to find a "cure" that does NOT involve disassembly :idea:
So far it's only 2 out fo 3 that have worked :|
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... =105861854
dave

Re: Leverletto Repair

Post by dave »

i do not understand your post. the problem you described is an easy fix with out disassembly, but your post nor the the video said nothing about fixing it. please respond.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

dave wrote:i do not understand your post. the problem you described is an easy fix with out disassembly, but your post nor the the video said nothing about fixing it. please respond.
What is the easy fix? Most of the ones I've tried [or seen recommended] have NOT been very effective [at all] :[
I didn't explain mine because:
A - it requires [slightly] special equipment
B - So far it has been only 66% effective
It did work GREAT on two out of three and only took a few seconds.
Georgedbugge

Post by Georgedbugge »

Just purchased a "defect" Leverletto that 9 times out of 10 would not make it past "10 o'clock" (if 12 o'clock is fully open and 6 o'clock is fully closed). Tried every lubricant I could find and.... same result!

Finally looked closely and saw the tang had a pretty sharp corner that seemed to be part of the problem. (This would be the upper left corner of the tang when the blade is in the closed position.) I used an appropriately named knife edge file and some folded sandpaper to round off the sharp corner. (Also managed to scratch up the rear liner, too!)

Issue #2 seemed to be the backspring was really tight. I took a squared off popsicle stick and inserted it in the space between the blade and backspring. Then I pushed the blade closer to the "12 o'clock" position so the backspring moved out past the knife handle. I pushed a plastic ty-wrap in between the backspring and the handle and let it sit that way for several hours. Then I removed the ty-wrap, applied some Tuff-Glide and... it actually worked! Blade makes it all the way to 12 o'clock now!

I'll try and post a picture or two!

Hope this helps someone else with "10 o'clock Syndrome"!

Best regards,

George
Georgedbugge

Post by Georgedbugge »

Picture #1
Attachments
IMG_20180315_113429712-600x600.jpg
IMG_20180315_113429712-600x600.jpg (101.27 KiB) Viewed 10643 times
Georgedbugge

Post by Georgedbugge »

Picture #2
Attachments
IMG_20180315_141813515-600x600~2.jpg
IMG_20180315_141813515-600x600~2.jpg (28.68 KiB) Viewed 10643 times
john

Post by john »

If the blade was peened to tightly all you need do is to insert razor blades between the blade and the liner. Tap them in gently use one at a time. You may need to double up on the razor blades. It always works for me.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
DonC

Post by DonC »

I use John's procedure for mine if I determine the culprit is a too tightly peened blade. Just make sure you've explored all the other avenues of correction before you resort to it.
DonC
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I'm really surprised no one asked me!
The easiest way to loosen a pivot pin is to tap one side (with the other unsupported) and then tap the other side the same way.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.