War Zone

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Viking45

War Zone

Post by Viking45 »

This is in response to Jim's New Hampshire post.
A couple of years back we had an ice storm here in Southern Misoouri (worst in the states history)
These photos are in the beginning stages,it lasted several days but the ice stayed on for weeks!
Power was out for 17 days but I was blessed,every house including many businesses were out of power except my house. Our power lines come down the back yards and all other homes had large trees with broken branches that took thier personal power lines out and our trees were not near our line.
These next pics are my girlfriends parents home.
The next few are just down my street.
This large walnut tree was uprooted and the utility lines are the only thing holding it.
Pine close up.
This big hackberry was one of my first projects.
Random pics
This was a happy evening when the utility man showed up for my nieghbors....17 days later :roll:
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Re: War Zone

Post by Vagrant »

Last winter we had a nasty ice storm. Lots of trees down and we lost power for 3 days.
But, nearby areas lost power for as much as 3 WEEKS [or more] :!:
Utility companies from as far away as Canada and Michigan were called in to help.
Lots of trees down [many on houses and cars] and lots of "widow makers" [dead/broke limbs] still hanging in the trees. I was a "little slow" and one fell and "knocked me out" :roll: I came to with two dogs licking me :wink:
At least they hung around and kept the coyotes away 8)
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Vagrant wrote: At least they hung around and kept the coyotes away 8)
:lol:
We would stand out in the garage and listen to the creaking and cracking of ice coated tree branches falling. Every once in a while we would hear someone's wooden privacy fence get smashed or a metal storage shed get flattened.
It was destruction in stereo,the sounds were all around us :?

In this case we had some unusually warm days prior to and the snow turned into rain for four days the temp falls down in the single digits.

I saw some homes, cars,trucks and boats flattened by trees and being in the tree biz I got so many calls I couldn't keep up with them.
There were tree companies from Colorado,Nebraska,Kansas,New Jersey,Minnesota,Mississippi,South Dakota,Pennsylvania,both Carolina's,Virginia,Ohio,Iowa,Michigan and even New Hampshire and Connecticut.
eastcoastsniper

Post by eastcoastsniper »

Awesome pictures Viking,

I've seen a couple storms like that before. You really have to experience one of these storms in person to grasp the total control that mother nature has over us all.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

eastcoastsniper wrote:Awesome pictures Viking,

I've seen a couple storms like that before. You really have to experience one of these storms in person to grasp the total control that mother nature has over us all.
Oh man you got that right.