A joke ???????

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
redeye

Re: A joke ???????

Post by redeye »

i have not tried them yet but everyone i have talked to says that the new gulp baits are the stuff one guy swears that he had a rod hanging over the edge of the boat and the bait was at least 6 inches from the watand a spotted trout[SALTWATER fish] JUMPED UP AND GRABBED THE BAIT AND WAS CAPTURED AND EATEN if its a lie he told it but he says it happened. i will be trying them out soon i hope and i will let ya know
I am the KING of LATAMA collectors HAHAHAHAHAHAHA {EVIL LAUGH}
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

My favorite for my kind of fishing [ultralight] is a small leadhead with a minnow or grub type bait :idea:
With a Foodsource grub these are VERY effective 8)
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Thanks for the info. I bought some of those new food source grubs a week ago and used them once with no luck. I will try them again. The small spinners work well to a point. I am use to catching 30 to 50 panfish in a couple of hours with live bait, and I just don't see that type of action with the lures/artifcal bait I have tried. I find Wax worms to be gold and crickets ( hard to hook) are great also. I use Ultra light alot and have about six poles in different lenghts from 4 ft 6" to 6 ft 6" in that action.....
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Tom19176 wrote:Thanks for the info. I bought some of those new food source grubs a week ago and used them once with no luck
:?:
I had to think for a while, because I have great "luck" with them. BUT, I fish almost entirely small streams :idea: After watiching what was happening, I realised that I was "fishing by eye", the fish hit them quickly but release them equally fast, if you don't see it you may miss it :idea: This is true of: pearch, sunfish and shiners. Trout and Pickerel NAIL them like they meant it and you don't have to see it you FEEL it :!: The Foodsource works best when drifting with the current but I've had Shiners pick it up off the bottom [and release it just as quickly]. So you have to see it and set the hook instantly ! In darker water [ponds/lakes] you could easily miss it :idea:
The ONE time I fished one in a pond I used it on a plain hook [no weight] and cast to [nearby] likely spots. I'd let it sink slowly towrards the bottom and "set the hook" if it hesitated at all.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Thanks for the tip. I will try that method. I also do some spot fishing in some of the smaller lakes by me and there are two lake systems near me where one lake drains off into another. I use your method with live bait at the run off area which is very similar to a stream. I 'll give that bait another try as it looked like a good concept when I bought it at Dick's. I have to say that live bait has always been my trusty standby that never seems to fail, and I can't remeber a bad day fishing with dough for bluegills and pumkin seed sunfish.....
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The Gitzit "Little tough guy" is pretty good the 1/16th oz is my favorite.
http://www.outdoorswholesale.com/view?s ... ANGE=#G213
But take off the minnow and replace it with a Foodsource and it's great :!:
Gitzit does not list it on their site, so it may be discontinued :roll: [but other sources still have it] 8)
The only Cutthroat Trout I ever caught [or even saw] was on a Gitzit/foodsouce combo.[Bright red Food source] I caught on the 2nd cast in the stream that goes by the Country Boy Mine parking lot. Since I hooked and lost him on the 1st cast, when he came back for more I thought, "I may be onto something" :idea:
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Thanks ! I will look for them at Cabela's as I am ordering some stuf from them today, if not I will give the company you listed a try. I am mostly a caught and release type of guy, but the trout they stock are farm raised and I keep my limit when I caught them. I have never kept any Crappie, but I heard they are a good eating fish, so I may try this year and see if that is true. I will let you know.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Tom19176 wrote: I am mostly a caught and release type of guy
That's easy for me I can't stand fish :lol:
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

redeye wrote:i have not tried them yet but everyone i have talked to says that the new gulp baits are the stuff one guy swears that he had a rod hanging over the edge of the boat and the bait was at least 6 inches from the watand a spotted trout[SALTWATER fish] JUMPED UP AND GRABBED THE BAIT AND WAS CAPTURED AND EATEN if its a lie he told it but he says it happened. i will be trying them out soon i hope and i will let ya know
I don't doubt it. I've had Pickerel do that a couple times :wink: One hit a spinner that was a foot above the water.
I'll have to try the Gulp :idea:
redeye

Post by redeye »

i was just at wally world [wal-mart] and i priced the berkley gulp baits and they were 19.97 atub but that was for the bigger shrimp styles i did not see any smaller but while i was looking the pharmacy called my name so i had ta go there and forgot to look any more DUH! by the way tom crappie as yall call em we call em speckled perch down here in the south are the bestest eating freshwater fish there is in my opinion and i have eaten million of them if ya wanna try something great try this ran out of cornmeal to fry the fish one night so my dad took some pecans and put em in the bleder and made meal out of them take ya fish and dip it in melted margerine {butter will burn} then roll em in the pecan meal and place on cookie sheet and bake or broil till done if ya broil be careful not ta get em too close its best to use boneless fillets but whole cleaned fish will do just fine you can also fry the fish with the meal just dont over cook by baking or broiling you will also make you dr happy us guys gotta watch our fats and cholesteral hope yall enjoy this recipe
I am the KING of LATAMA collectors HAHAHAHAHAHAHA {EVIL LAUGH}
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

redeye wrote:by the way tom crappie as yall call em we call em speckled perch down here in the south are the bestest eating freshwater fish there is in my opinion
Other names:
Bream or Brim [also used for Sunfish and sometimes Pearch]
Rock bass
Calico bass
Spotted bass
lots of other names :lol:
in Louisana they called them "croppie" on the fishing report [on the news every night] :wink: But that was over 30 years ago :idea:
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

There still called crappie here in Ga, by most of us anyway, and like Redeye said, there the best eating fresh water fish there is :!:
teq
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
Vanagas

Post by Vanagas »

Mr Vagrant is not brim a bluegill? I could be wrong, been a while since I was down south.
Mike
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Mike,

Brim = Bluegill in N.C.

Jim
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I agree but, someone called all panfish "Brim" when I was in La. so I didn't know if it was him, a local thing, or more regional :?:
The Louisiana regulation book I got with my license listed lots of names for Bass that included "Green Trout" :roll: