Viking swords

This board is dedicated to small and big blades related to daggers, swords, and similar items.

Moderators: Milu, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
gt0915

Viking swords

Post by gt0915 »

Hi to all, I thought that I would post a pic of the viking swords and axes that I have, The Abingdon Sword at the top is live (sharp) and the 2 below it are blunt for combat use, the bearded axe is for combat use, but the sax is razor sharp, the sword's only weigh 1.1 kg or 2.25 Lbs each.
The Abingdon Sword will and has cut through a side of lamb, spine, ribs and all. (it stays next to the bed all the time) and the wife has a Hanwei viking throwing axe on her side and knows how to use it, the swords and axes are hand made and ground buy a guy in Ballarat. http://manningimperial.com/
*** the sword on the bottom is a Hanwei viking sword that has been thinned down from 6 mm to 3.5mm (.250" to .140"thick) and had the fuller deepened and widened***
Please note I'm not trying to sell anything just a link to this guy's stuff.
Attachments
N.V.G. weapons.jpg
N.V.G. weapons.jpg (41.85 KiB) Viewed 15964 times
Saikuri

Post by Saikuri »

Very good stuff!, I quite like axes. No sword can outchop a kukri!.
You Republican's better keep up!: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/bunny.php
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

A good Tomahawy is a very handy tool and an awesome weapon 8)
The bottom one in this picis a PeacePipe style, that IS functional for use as a pipe :wink:
Saikuri

Post by Saikuri »

Vagrant wrote:A good Tomahawy is a very handy tool and an awesome weapon 8)
The bottom one in this picis a PeacePipe style, that IS functional for use as a pipe :wink:
Very handy for the "I have a need for weed!" moments, when your on a killing binge...; I had a smaller one when I was a Kid, I used it as a blowgun.
You Republican's better keep up!: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/bunny.php
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

This really took far more atttempts than it was worth :lol:
Dances with Emus

Post by Dances with Emus »

Saikuri wrote:Very good stuff!, I quite like axes. No sword can outchop a kukri!.

The Nepalese 'Kukuri' is thought to have derived from the Greek 'Kopis' with little change to the shape. I would imagine that this particular sword could out chop a Khukuri! :wink:
By the way gt, it is an impressive little collection, you wouldn't happen to be into SCA or one of those groups would you? :)
'Such is Life'
Mick
gt0915

Post by gt0915 »

Hi dances,
I was in the S.C.A and then went over to the N.V.G (new varangian guard), REAL swords and real armour, not sticks and plastic armour, I love ENYTHING to do with the Viking culture and history, my computer room has even more weapons and other stuff lying around, it's not child friendly, to many "sharp and pointy things"
Shane.
Saikuri

Post by Saikuri »

Dances with Emus wrote:
Saikuri wrote:Very good stuff!, I quite like axes. No sword can outchop a kukri!.

The Nepalese 'Kukuri' is thought to have derived from the Greek 'Kopis' with little change to the shape. I would imagine that this particular sword could out chop a Khukuri! :wink:
By the way gt, it is an impressive little collection, you wouldn't happen to be into SCA or one of those groups would you? :)
They used to have several very nice kopis at the British museam, They've still got quite a collection of swords & daggers. I doubt it would, a 32" kuk can cut through 2 foot thick trees, not in one swipe of course!.
Dances with Emus

Saikuri wrote:
Dances with Emus wrote:

They used to have several very nice kopis at the British museam, They've still got quite a collection of swords & daggers. I doubt it would, a 32" kuk can cut through 2 foot thick trees, not in one swipe of course!.
My apologies, I thought we were talking about the standard Service No.1 (15" O'all length, 10" blade, 700gms) Khukuris and not the ceremonial buffalo beheaders. Of coarse they can come bigger than 32" (I've seen one close to 44") and become a two handed user from about 28" upwards (depending on what is being cut in those smaller [large] sizes). The Kopis being a one handed sword of around 42" overall and generally swung from winding the arm back over the shoulder would generate some serious force but I don't think it would compete with the larger two handed Khukuris either, due to the design of the khukuri which has any part of the blade shearing through the material being cut due to the constant curve, something the Kopis as the parent, had not yet fully developed.
Once again I thought we were talking about standardly accepted knife lengths compared to standardly accepted sword lengths when referring to the better chopping ability of the Kopis, as such a Kopis cannot compare against the more modern design of the (ceremonial, longer, heavier) Khukuri. If it is sword on sword the older Kopis does not compare.
Of coarse if I'm chopping trees I would prefer an axe over any knife or sword. :lol:
'Such is Life'
Mick
Dances with Emus

gt0915 wrote:Hi dances,
I was in the S.C.A and then went over to the N.V.G (new varangian guard), REAL swords and real armour, not sticks and plastic armour, I love ENYTHING to do with the Viking culture and history, my computer room has even more weapons and other stuff lying around, it's not child friendly, to many "sharp and pointy things"
Shane.
You'll have to P.M me and fully explain the difference between the S.C.A and the N.V.G. I like that sort of thing myself. I have a sharp collection, but mainly knives.
'Such is Life'
Mick
edzz

Re: Viking swords

Post by edzz »

Awesome!!! I like the picture of viking sword, that's my favorite fighting weapon.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Since we're digging up 4 year old threads, my favorite "fighting weapom" is my Star PD in .45acp :wink:
edzz

Post by edzz »

Vagrant wrote:Since we're digging up 4 year old threads, my favorite "fighting weapom" is my Star PD in .45acp :wink:

That's a nice weapon.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Not, my most accurate handgun but, at 4-10 times axe/sword range it's awesome :wink:
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Having some Norwegian blood I always love to see Viking tools.
Love to have a nicely made repro of a Viking sword.
Axes are even better.
This man is a master,his axes are second to none.
I don't speak or read Swedish but the photos speak for themselves.
http://www.gen-smide.se/ :shock: Wow!

EDIT: Correction,his website now has an English version. It did not have this feature when I first found the site.

Oh and V,love the Microtech
Is the Star .45 ACP Made In Spain?
They are very cool peest-ol-las,I shot a friend's back in the 80's. It never failed.