My small collection

This board is dedicated to small and big blades related to daggers, swords, and similar items.

Moderators: Milu, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
4W4K3

My small collection

Post by 4W4K3 »

Actually, incredibly small lol. This is all I own so far, as I'm a beginner collector of Japanese swords.

Cheness Shura Katana
Cheness Musha Wakizashi

Granted, they are not of the highest quality. They are backyard cutters/beginner swords, and for the money I couldn't be happier. I've cut with the Shura, but not the Musha. Both have been taken apart and inspected by myself and a local instructor of Kobu Shin Ryu batto/kenjutsu. He actually gave me a 4 hour cutting seminar in his backyard and taught me alot of what I know right now. But I do not train under him...yet 8)

Bit of info on the steel, if you're interested.

Shura - Full Hand Forged, Through Tempered, Oil Quenched, Hand Polished 9260 Silicon Alloy Carbon Spring Steel. It uses genuine same skin panels and a pretty tight cotton ito wrap.

Musha - Hand Heat Forged, Heat Tempered, Oil Quenched 1045 Carbon Steel. Same a Shura, real same and ito is cotton. The actual polish of the blade is better overall than the Shura, but it's probably due to the different steel.
butch

Post by butch »

very nice,Ive always had a liking for swords too but I dont own any (yet)
4W4K3

Post by 4W4K3 »

They are currently having a one month sale right now for the Musha. $99 for August only while supplies last. Not bad!

If you're interested in cutting tatami however, I'd suggest a Paul Chen. His blades (the newer Practical Kats) are very wide, but thin. Cheness's are "stubbier" and very thick...they make cutting more of a challenge. Personally, I think Paul Chen's budget swords look...well...ugly. But as far as performance they are very good.

There are just too many options though, for an entry level sword. I'm confident I could be happy with all of them, and still find fault with all of them as well. But that's how it is I guess :D
butch

Post by butch »

well money has been tight for awhile but thanks for the recomendations when I can look into getting one Ill know what to look for.
j.a.c.

Post by j.a.c. »

Never owned a sword.
Did date a circus girl who could swallow them , boy I miss her. :cry:
4W4K3

Post by 4W4K3 »

haha that's pretty neat. I'd never attempt to swallow a sharp sword...no way. you can't even run your finger on the cheapies i got...too sharp. i rested the tip on one of my t-shirts while wiping down the blade...and it cut right into the carpet from just the weight of the blade...so i am one t-shirt less now lol.
Dances with Emus

Post by Dances with Emus »

I hope you weren't wearing the T-shirt when it got cut through right to the carpet :shock: . Have you checked yourself for any unexplained extra holes or bleeding?! :lol:
'Such is Life'
Mick
4W4K3

Post by 4W4K3 »

haha, no it was on the ground. probably not the best way to clean/hold the blade but it was a rushed job. i've gotten used to just standing and wiping it now inbetween cuts, really makes the final clean up easier.
"thus the blade will be wielded"
Dick Carroll

Post by Dick Carroll »

at least I understood Cowboy....
All who enter here bring happiness, some by staying, some by leaving...
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Dick Carroll wrote:at least I understood Cowboy....
You're making progress! :P
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
sammy da blade

Post by sammy da blade »

you ned to get some autos dude!
thuggin -N- buggin, that's how i roll!
butch

Post by butch »

sammy wouldnt an auto opening sword be a little dangerous?! :P