Need some help, plz

This board is dedicated to small and big blades related to daggers, swords, and similar items.

Moderators: Milu, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
grekaosangel

Need some help, plz

Post by grekaosangel »

Ok, i just joined this forum today, and i dont really have the time to look to see if this has been brought up in a topic before.
Im online right now trying my best to figure out a few things.

1.How long does it take for bronze to start or fully turn to that green statue of liberty color.

2.Can anybody help me identify the age of a Wakizashi I own.(I know its no less than 16 years old)I've been unable to find a website that could help.
McGyver

Post by McGyver »

As far as the bronze turning colors, that depends on a variety of environmental factors, as well as the quality of the metal. Consequently, it is impossible to guage how long it takes.

If you can post pictures or other relevant facts about your sword, perhaps we can help. Is the blade signed? How much did you pay for it? Where did you get it, etc, etc. The more info the better.
McG
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Bronze [and Brass] take several days to turn weatherd green by soaking in the proper "pickling solution". Locating and mixing the ingrediants will add another day or two. Formula will be posted when you have more time.
Left alone the same color wil take several years.
grekaosangel

Post by grekaosangel »

Unfortunately I dont have my digital camera w/ me today so i'll try my best to describe the sword.

1.My father bought the wakizashi in Japan a lil over 16 years ago.
2.Not quite sure how much he payed for it.
3.The sword came with a silk like cloth to put it in.
4.The shealth is made of wood and is im assuming painted mahogany red color.
5.From the way it looks put together, it was hand made and painted.

Now im not really familiar with all the japanese terms for parts of the sword so i'll try to explain it the best i can.

6.The blade itself has never been sharpened(dull) and the temperline is uneven on both sides so i know it wasnt factory made.
7.The handguard is made of bronze material, and has the images of rivers, leaves, flowers, and cranes, etc.
8.Slightly above the handguard the piece of metal attaching to the blade and handguard has a dragon on it.
9.The handle of the sword is pieced together by two pieces of wood, some ivory, and the blade is not full tang.
10.Slightly before half way in the handle is a hole where a small about 1/8 of an inch peg has been almost fully pushed into the handle, holding the sword together. If the tang is signed i really dont want to take the sword apart.
11.The handle is wrapped in a faded sort of leather.
12.There are two Menuki, one is closer to the peg in the handle, the other is closer to the pommel.
13.From what i can see the Menuki are Dragons.
14.The pommel cap at the end of the handle has a dragon on it, not to mention the leather is tied to the pommel. So i know the handle was hand wrapped and attached to the pommel.

If you still need images i'll try to post some in a few days.
Thank you for any help you may have.
McGyver

Post by McGyver »

Sounds like a rather well made sword. When you look at the apex of the blade edge, in the hamon(temper line), do you see what looks like layers? That is usually indicative of a forged sword. The faded leather you speak of, is it grainy, almost like a pebbled texture? If so, it is probably rayskin, and as such is that much more authentic. Now if only I knew if that peg was bamboo.... Still it's impossible to guess its age without knowing the signature or having pictures.
McG
grekaosangel

Post by grekaosangel »

I will post the pictures of the sword for those who will need them, but it may take a day or so.
grekaosangel

Post by grekaosangel »

Here are the pictures you requested, hope you can help a lil bit more now.

http://www.freewebs.com/grekaosangel
McGyver

Post by McGyver »

Hmmm, I can't tell too much about the blade due to the glare, but it doesn't look like a folded steel blade. And the straight temper line at the tip is common on low quality blades. The hamon on the rest of the blade, while not symetrical, appears to have been made by using a different grit of polish, rather than true differential tempering. The layer of leather under the handle wrap is white, and traditional rayskin is usually black. The fact that the peg protrudes through this layer is also peculiar. All in all I would say that you have a wall hangar. It's a good looking sword, but thats about it. I could be wrong, and I have been before, but this is just my two cents.
McG
grekaosangel

Post by grekaosangel »

As a matter of fact, i was looking at the wakizashi blade close up today, no more than a few minutes ago.To me it seems theres many lines running across the blade, like from tip to tsuba, does that have anything to do with the way it was made? And if you had to guess, how old is it anyways, you never really gave a diffinitive answer.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

My GUESS based on what my old eyes can see is, it's a fairly recent replica. The handle looks older than the blade and the Tsuba looks wrong :? New blade on old[er] other parts? Other parts made to look older than they are ? I've been wrong before but enough alarm bells telling me that unless it looks better in person, I wouldn't give it a free ride home !
grekaosangel

Post by grekaosangel »

As much as i'm honored to have such nice and somewhat irrelevant info/guesses as to my wakizashi, the whole point of this topic has yet to be answered. I'm thankful for all the help but i honestly dont care how its made or why it was made or who made it. All i really wanted is an estimated guess or confirmation as to its age, as the already established information is thus, it is no less than 16 yrs. And thats all i know for certain. And forgive me for the weak images i have supported but i would honestly like some definition as to its age, guesses as well. I dont mean to nitpick but it would be of more help to me as to guess its age than to give me your opinions on its make. thank you and i meant no offense.
McGyver

Post by McGyver »

The reason we ask about how it was made, and other "irrelevant" questions is to assist you in determining its age. Swords that are found commonly on the market today tend to be of poor quality, turned out assembly line fashion in some third world country. I agree with Vagrant that your sword is more than likely one of these, and consequently the age of the sword is IRRELEVANT.
McG
grekaosangel

Post by grekaosangel »

what you all say is i suppose relevant and logical, but unless you can prove to me that my sword has been a product of mass production(i.e. more than one exists) unfortunately im gonna have an extremely hard time believing you guys, sorry.
Milu

Post by Milu »

I think the guys have tried to help and to let you down gently.

Of course you don't have to believe their opinion, but is it because you fault their reasoning or because it doesn't match what you hope is the case?
"se me burlé, me fico un cento e vinti in tel stomego"
Goldoni: La donna di Garbo, 1753
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Let's try this one more time. The pics have a lot of glare :!: That is a clue that it MAY be stainless :idea: The Gunome [wave shaped hamon] does not look like a real temper line. The cuvature looks wrong and more "v-shaped" on the edge side than the spine side. The Tsuba [guard] is :?: :?: I'm seriously confused it doesn't "look right" but it does look old [or older than the blade]. The handle also looks older than the blade but something about it is "not quite right" but "not really wrong" :? My best guess [based on what I can and CAN'T see from the pics is]
1 - A fairly modern, stainless, replacement blade.
2 - The handle and guard are older [or made to look older????]
3 - IF the handle and guard are older they may not be originally from the same sword and not related to each other.
IF a magnet does not stick to it AT LEAST as well as it sticks to a car door,
it is cheap, modern, stainless.
Unfortunately if it does stick that only proves it is better stainless OR the same low carbon steel as a car door, it doesn't prove it's genuine. But if it falls right off or nearly does you know it's not original :idea: