Fairbairn Commando - opinion of it & who makes a good on

This board is dedicated to small and big blades related to daggers, swords, and similar items.

Moderators: Milu, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
dogngun

Fairbairn Commando - opinion of it & who makes a good on

Post by dogngun »

What's your opinion of the Fairbairn commando knife, especially you Euro / British guys, and who makes a worthwhile version of this knife today ? I have seen them from under $20 to several hundred, what is a good, servicable version? These knives were popular when I was in the 82d Airborne in the late 1960's, and lots of them were cheap crap.

Thanks for any thoughts and opinions.

Mark 8)
Avique

Post by Avique »

Personally I've always loved the Fairbairn Sykes command knife, but you do need to avoid getting one of the low end models out of Pakistan. If you want a quality version I suggest going through the Sheffield Knife Company. I believe that they were the original maker for this knife during WWII and they still produce it for under $100. Good luck.

Andy
God help us we're in the hands of engineers!
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Don't know much on these, but did pick one up at an army surplus here in Canada for $50. Don't know if its original or not, but still a great knive. Have seen nice one on http://www.888knivesrus.com for $100. There is also a good history on the origin of the commando knife.

http://www.888knivesrus.com/category/al ... s.sfstory/
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
catavengercaptain

Fairbairn

Post by catavengercaptain »

have you tried out the Applegatr-Fairbairn?
catavengercaptain

my spelling

that should read "Applegate"
missaman

Post by missaman »

I think Sam Hotton is the resident expert on this forun :wink:
Missaman in da hood 8)
Sam Hotton

Post by Sam Hotton »

Good morning Mark,
Sorry to get back with you this slowly, have been repelling borders from all points of the compass! :oops:
My answer to your question is without a doubt WILKINSON! Full stop.
Over the past two decades Wilkinson has provided three of these knives to me, one of which was a custom that I carried during the Faulklands conflict and later in the first Desert Storm. They are perfect in every way! My contact at Wilkinsons was a Mr. Button. If he is still there, I cannot say. You will not be sorry with their product. Keep me informed as to your acquisition, OK.
Regards,
Sam :wink:
catavengercaptain

Dagger

Just asking, does anyone think this is a design with limited utility, (I.E> designed basically for killing somebody but no good as a general military utility knife;) and that it is know a rather outmoded design?
Sam Hotton

Post by Sam Hotton »

Good evening Cat,
You are quite correct in thinking the F-S fighting knife is not the best choice as a general utility knife. It probably wasn't the best choice at the time it was designed. Many years ago Rex Applegate himself told me that either Fairbairn and or Sykes went to the Tower of london to look for a design to use for the knife. The yeoman in charge told them the displays were closed for viewing, however they were told that they could look through some drawers of miscellaneous edged weapons. What they found was a dagger from the middle ages that appealed to them, and the rest is history. Rex later thought he could improve on the F-S knife as the original was a rushed design, with a modified design of his own. I've heard stories of points breaking off and blades breaking at the hilts, this may have been with some of the knives made by the smaller manufacturers and it must be said that any knife can be broken with enough misuse. I seen petrol cans opened and I've seen ration cans even ammo cans opened with them and none broke, not one. The only problem with them is that your hand can slip off the handle if you are sweaty or bloody AND the blade will stick fast when jammed in a joint like an elbow. People don't stand still when your having a go at them with a 6 9/16 inch Sykes (Later ones carried a 7 inch blade) and unlike the movies they don't fall down right away when stuck even repeatly. Another problem with the Sykes is that you will pop your thumbnail off if you put your thumb up against the guard using the hammer grip and the point hits bone, buckle or kit, Applegates design had a forward curving guard and a better shaped handle to partially eliminate both these problems. Applegates knife could be altered in balance by adding weight inside the handle versus the balance point on the F-S being about 1/2 inch behind the guard. Many of the men that used the F-S on schemes would wrap the handles with friction tape to give a more secure grip. Yes, I prefer my Randall #1 it is likely one of the best general purpose combat knives I've owned, (yes the grip on my Randall is wrapped in rubberized F-4 tape). Following what you said, the Sykes was and is one hell of a neutralizer with a long and virtually spotless record, that performed well the duties that it was designed for and called upon to do.
Enough said.
Sam
dogngun

Re: Fairbairn Commando - opinion of it & who makes a good on

Post by dogngun »

Sam
Finally read your respone long after the fact.
Thank you!

Mark
originalhoodlum

Post by originalhoodlum »

Wilkinson Sword was sold to someone in Germany who then sold the machinery and drawings to someone in India. The Fairbairn - Sykes was designed with two razor sharp edges and a slender blade that terminated in a very sharp point. It was meant to easily slace through three inches of heavy clothing but its forte was when it was driven down the collarbone or in the neck and WIGGLED AROUND to cleanly severe an artery. All this was done at lightening speed. It is essentially the best design for the purpose of taking out an opponent. I'd love to buy a couple F-S if they were new and made from the best materials.
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

originalhoodlum wrote:Wilkinson Sword was sold to someone in Germany who then sold the machinery and drawings to someone in India. The Fairbairn - Sykes was designed with two razor sharp edges and a slender blade that terminated in a very sharp point. It was meant to easily slace through three inches of heavy clothing but its forte was when it was driven down the collarbone or in the neck and WIGGLED AROUND to cleanly severe an artery. All this was done at lightening speed. It is essentially the best design for the purpose of taking out an opponent. I'd love to buy a couple F-S if they were new and made from the best materials.
RE: V-42 & F-S fighting knives. We used to round the tip a little so it wouldn't get stuck in a bone. Just saying.
wazu013
“The difference between involvement and commitment is like ham and eggs. The chicken is involved; the pig is committed.”
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

originalhoodlum wrote: its forte was when it was driven down the collarbone or in the neck and WIGGLED AROUND to cleanly severe an artery.
wazu-13 wrote: We used to round the tip a little so it wouldn't get stuck in a bone.
Entirely TFMI !
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
catavengercaptain

I think I like I like the V-42 Stiletto better than the Fairbairn because of it's leather grips.
Sheffield

Post by Sheffield »

This knife is still made in Sheffield England. You can even buy a gold plated presentation version. See http://www.sheffield-gb.com
Because I get some strange requests I do not list them on the web site but they are available with leg sheaths in quality steel. email details are available on the web site.