Early Kris.........1630

This board is dedicated to small and big blades related to daggers, swords, and similar items.

Moderators: Milu, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JAGMAN

Early Kris.........1630

Post by JAGMAN »

Saw these in a local armory museum on my visit home. Made in 1630 on the top one, dont know about the others. ( edit: 1500's according to the description, probably Japanese) The pieces were in glass cabinets so excuse the quality of the pics.
Jagman.
right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think
I've forgotten this before.
stepdaddy

Post by stepdaddy »

Mr Jagman:

On your next visit to said place MAKE them remove items from behind glass so we get a better pic. I must say from what I see they are neat to say the least.

SD
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The bottom ones appear to be of standard Malaysian pattern.
The top one does not look to be Japanese, but this is far from my area of expertise (if I have one!)
Bill
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Bill DeShivs wrote: The top one does not look to be Japanese...
Bill
I would agree. there is nothing Japanese about it. Even when they made swords in the Western fashion, there was always a significant Japanese flavor in either the blade or furnishings. At least in my experience this is true, but no doubt exceptions can be found.
JAGMAN

Post by JAGMAN »

Hi Bill, very astute, you sure know your stuff!
I zoomed in on the origonal picture and concentrated on the inscription, and I was reading Japanese for Javanese, (bad eye syndrome - but new prescription lets me see it now) These are not Japanese and it just shows that I could not tell the difference, but they caught my eye!
What a great museum, called "The Armory" weapons from all era's and free to get in, God bless the Queen.
Jagman[/img]
catavengercaptain

Dumb question ???

Post by catavengercaptain »

What was the point of the wave blade? To tickle the victims live when it was thrust in or what? :?:
JAGMAN

Post by JAGMAN »

I believe it was a wieght/metal saving idea, the cut is as wide as the max. distance between two highest points on either side of the blade without the full amount of metal in the lower portions of the "wave" being neccessary.
Maybe someone could expand on this or clarify it.
Jagman.
Sam Hotton

Post by Sam Hotton »

Good morning Jagman,
I was of the understanding that one could have a sword of say 28 inches of blade with perhaps 40 inches of edge.

Unrelated question; Did you ever know Bob Oates from West Virginia?

Regards,
Sam Hotton
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Sam Hotton wrote:Good morning Jagman,
I was of the understanding that one could have a sword of say 28 inches of blade with perhaps 40 inches of edge.
Sam,
What would be the real advantage of that? You still would have a 28" sword.

The story I heard was that wounds from a Kris blade were harder to heal, more bloody, etc. but I'm not clear on how that would be either.

Interesting question.
Sam Hotton

Post by Sam Hotton »

Good morning Natcherly,
I've heard of that idea of a more serious wound caused by a Kris style blade. I don't know what is the answer. I wouldn't be surprised if it were not a marketing ploy by some cutler back in the mist of time to increase sales of his edged wares when the sales of straight blades dropped off. Sort of like gunmakers coming out with the .300 Super short magnum after they had the .300 Short magnum after the had the .300 Winchester magnum. You'll kill deer better with one of the new calibres, you need this! Might have been nothing more than a sales gimmick.
Take care,
Sam
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

All the answers are good :!: Let me add another that applies - Myth/Magic :wink: A Javanese legend said that a Kris could Kill an enemy by stabbing his footprint in the sand :roll: I suspect anyone killed this way was probably poisoned first :wink:
JAGMAN

Post by JAGMAN »

hello Sam, I do not know Bob Oats, (cannot recall him anyway) what made you ask?
just curious,
Jagman.
Sam Hotton

Post by Sam Hotton »

Good morning Jagman,
Robert Lee Oates aka Bob Oates was a collector, restorer, Guru of the XK-150 Jags. He lived in Scott Depot, W. Virginia near Charleston. He was a very good pal of mine and passed away last year with Cancer. I thought because you are in the Jaguar and motorcar business there was a chance you might have known him. Alas he and his collection are both gone and in the wind, bittersweet memories. He had a alloy bodied 120 with 36,000 on the clock that we fired up, one of the Jabekke cars, never, I repeat never have I heard such sweet music from a set of duals as this!
All the best Jagman,
Sam Hotton (an old XK-150 3.8S roadster driver) :D
JAGMAN

Post by JAGMAN »

Hi Sam, if your friend ever went by the name of Bob Lee, I have met him on numerous occasions, as I recall, this Mr. Lee was a fanatitical big game hunter and led numerous safari's to Africa and resided in the far east far East a lot of the decade, if this is not the same guy then I am sorry not to have met him,
Here is a sound you may remember in this link

http://www.jag-lovers.org/saloons/prc/doc/120sound.mpg

The origonal alloy XK 120's are bringing more than a million $$$$ todayl
Hindsight is more than 20/20
rob.
hanuman3

Re: Early Kris.........1630

Post by hanuman3 »

Hello,
I ran across this post and found it interesting. The Kris holds much power as a talisman in Indonesia and superstition is both a powerful tool and motivator. Similar to pointing bones or emu feather shoes among the Australian Aborigines. I thought someone might appreciate my Moro sword with a 'Kris' like blade.
However, it appears I may need to reformat the picture because of it's size. To be uploaded at a later date.
Cheers
“CANNIBAL, n. A gastronome of the old school who preserves the simple tastes and adheres to the natural diet of the pre-pork period.”
- Ambrose Bierce