First Katana

This board is dedicated to small and big blades related to daggers, swords, and similar items.

Moderators: Milu, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Ideal2004

First Katana

Post by Ideal2004 »

I am looking at buying my first katana. Can I get some opinions please about what would make a good first purchase. I don't have a lot of money lets say $ 300.00 US. I have been looking at Cold Steel and Paul Chen Katanas. Should I be looking at another manufacturer?
stepdaddy

Post by stepdaddy »

I'm going to say Paul Chen is the way to go. AT around $300 you could get a sweet piece if you shop around and check the auctions.

Pics when you receive it.

SD
Marvinsson

Post by Marvinsson »

You may also want to look at Kris Cutlery. The fittings are not traditional, but the steel is good. So far I've heard they have a zero rate of failure, where as the Chen and Cold Steel have had mixed reviews. Let us know how you make out.
Marvinsson
samurai1227

Re: First Katana

Post by samurai1227 »

Ideal2004 wrote:I am looking at buying my first katana. Can I get some opinions please about what would make a good first purchase. I don't have a lot of money lets say $ 300.00 US. I have been looking at Cold Steel and Paul Chen Katanas. Should I be looking at another manufacturer?
I think that when you have $300 you can only find good replica's
and than it's good to look at cold steel and steel practical sword's they normale maked from carbon steel and it's also good that you look at paul chen but than you can also find sword's at $600 to $1000 I think that the best thing is that you look at steel practical sword's
Pirat

Of course Hanwei

Post by Pirat »

Cold steel is not the first address to start.

I am really recomend you start with Hanwei. I have bought Musashi Model of Hanwei, it is perfect.

Check at http://www.livesword.com
This is non-profitable project of some defense company, they offering all Hanwei line at very cheap prices, actually the cjeapest there is. The reason is that they sposoring competition of martial arts.

You can take Practical Pro or Plus both are great.
gleeb2004

Post by gleeb2004 »

I would personally not go with either...

I'd say that if you wanted to make a first purchase, go with some 300 dollar piece of crap. Then you could work your way up to something that's at the competition level.

For a first purchase, Buy cheap stuff! seriously, I think it's best to work your way up the preverbial ladder of quality, so you know what to look for.

So... here's a mini-guide of what to look for!
If you want something that is quality, look for something that is
1. Made in Japan
I cannot tell you how many people are fooled into buying chinese manufactured pieces of crap that you see in the mall.

2. Has a signature on the tang
This proves that the blade was actually made by hand, and not stamped by machine or mass produced.

3. Is live folded steel, not 440 or 420 stainless, or even high carbon.
If you can't take care of it to where it won't rust, a peice of this value isn't for you.

4. The tsuba (handguard for the lamen) isn't a cast iron composite metal piece of crap. If you see any casting marks, it's crappy. Also, if it feels too light or shiny, it's probobly fake.

5. The hammon (temper line) is real.
If it looks too even and perfect, or if it looks like it is too shiny and even, it's simulated.
A real temper line shouldn't be as easy to recognize, more wavy, and not as even.

There you have it. there are a few more tips, but that's it.
I would look for personal sites for those who collect
Or sites of those who make competition level katanas.

Anything else is unworthy to be called a sword.

Prices range from 300-5000 for competition katanas. About.