Making a Scabbard for Katana

This board is dedicated to small and big blades related to daggers, swords, and similar items.

Moderators: Milu, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Mankal

Making a Scabbard for Katana

Post by Mankal »

I have found a place where I can purchase a katana blade and the supplies for the hilt. But, they don't have any supplies for making a scabbard. Does, anyone have any info on how to make a wooden scabbard for a katana?
sakura

Post by sakura »

ok. you need to find a place that sells the wood. I can't remember the type exactly, but its japanese. a plank of this stuff, carve out the inside, both sides. cut out a rough shape around the outside. make the rice paste. involves mashing up cooked rice, glue both sides together, carve the outside. carve the kurikata. that little knob that the sageo, (cord thingy) loops around. glue that on, sand. sand some more carve the koiguchi. make sure it has the right fit on the habaki. glue that on with more rice paste. carve a kojiri, glue that on, sand more. laquer. thats a summary of the basic process for making the simplest form of saya. and remember, the saya is the easy part of the fittings. building a tsuka that won't break....... not so easy. good luck.

http://www.japanese-swords.com/index.htm