Nazi Army Officer’s Dress Dagger by maker Carl Eickhorn

This board is dedicated to small and big blades related to daggers, swords, and similar items.

Moderators: Milu, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
boots

Nazi Army Officer’s Dress Dagger by maker Carl Eickhorn

Post by boots »

A local is selling this Dager and I was wondering if you could shed some light on what this is. Below is the description and photos, what do you think this thing is worth. Some of his description is suspect to me.

Nazi Army Officer’s Dress Dagger by maker Carl Eickhorn. This dagger was taken by family member during “The Battle of the Bulge” or shortly thereafter. This dagger features the desirable Eickhorn “seated squirrel with sword” acid-etched maker’s mark on the blade for the famed Carl Eickhorn firm of Solingen. The Eickhorn firm was considered one of the finest dagger makers during the Third Reich period. The pommel on this dagger is in excellent condition. The silvering is intact and the standing oak leaves and acorns are crisply detailed and have good background. The detail on the crossguard’s Wehrmacht open-winged eagle is excellent throughout the head, breast and wing feathering and talons. Unfortunately, the wreathed mobile with swastika was broken off sometime during the life of the dagger. Possibly during hand-to-hand combat… who knows! The deep orange celluloid grip is perfect. The polished steel blade is perfect with razor sharp tip and original cross-graining present. The pebbled scabbard is perfect as well and still retains the original throat screw. Original carrying bands with overlapping oak leaves and acorns are included. Although detached, included is the dagger’s original knot and cord.

natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Re: Nazi Army Officer’s Dress Dagger by maker Carl Eickhorn

Post by natcherly »

Looks like it is legit. However, someone cut off the swastika that the eagle once held. This reduces the collector value substantially.
kwackster

Post by kwackster »

It's definitely legit, but your dagger was "de-nazified" by manually breaking off the swastika, a common practice after the war.
Several years ago i owned an almost identical Eickhorn Wehrmacht/Army dagger, also known as Heer dagger.
Mine was taken from a Wehrmacht captain or major who was surrendering to a Dutch resistance leader in the city of Utrecht, and i bought the dagger from his son.
The handle material is called Trolon, an early plastic which has a tendency to darken over the years.
The color white becomes yellowish, and yellow becomes (deeply) orange, like yours & mine.
boots

Post by boots »

Do you think it's worth $450.00 without the swastika?
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

boots

Its a really nice example ,the hanging straps are beauties ,nice Eickhorn blade ,great colour to the grip ,but you have to live with the fact its denazified ,this sort of defeats the object when collecting German ww2 memorabilia in my humble opinion

You could probably get a good example with the swastika for a couple of hundred more dollars ,Wehrmacht awards is a good place to ask ,the items for sale are vetted and its a great place to get opinions on any German militaria.

Got to love these though ,thanks for posting it.
boots

Post by boots »

gravknife wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:24 am boots

Its a really nice example ,the hanging straps are beauties ,nice Eickhorn blade ,great colour to the grip ,but you have to live with the fact its denazified ,this sort of defeats the object when collecting German ww2 memorabilia in my humble opinion

You could probably get a good example with the swastika for a couple of hundred more dollars ,Wehrmacht awards is a good place to ask ,the items for sale are vetted and its a great place to get opinions on any German militaria.

Got to love these though ,thanks for posting it.
Thanks for your reply, I think I'll pass on this.
williammcgrath

Post by williammcgrath »

i thinks it's legit