help needed info on dagger

This board is dedicated to small and big blades related to daggers, swords, and similar items.

Moderators: Milu, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
RobbP

help needed info on dagger

Post by RobbP »

Hi all,
Need help with some info on these. They were gifted to me from a family friend, who said they were is fathers. I know his father dies about 20 years ago so they are at least that old.

I know nothing about them but believe the large one may be a Morocco, Jambiya or Koummya and I know there are authentic and tourist variations of these. Both are unsharpened/ no edge to them so I presume tourist version. no tang stamps that I can see.
I would like to be able to identify what they are, origin, and approximate age/value. They are NFS.

I presume the little brass guy is a novelty letter opener, but if anyone has info I 'd be interested.

Thanks!!
Robb
IMG_3209.jpg
IMG_3209.jpg (91.2 KiB) Viewed 4894 times
IMG_3212.jpg
IMG_3212.jpg (80.81 KiB) Viewed 4894 times
IMG_3214.jpg
IMG_3214.jpg (86.9 KiB) Viewed 4894 times
IMG_3210.jpg
IMG_3210.jpg (99.09 KiB) Viewed 4894 times
IMG_3211.jpg
IMG_3211.jpg (101.41 KiB) Viewed 4894 times
Billyfish

Re: help needed info on dagger

Post by Billyfish »

It's a Koummya, Moroccan or possibly Algerian; yours looks to be WW2 or earlier. A lot of these came home with the troops who were deployed in North Africa.
The higher quality ones can cost well into the few hundred plus range and are sought after.
The larger straight bladed version shown is known as a Genoui. They are usually made from cut down European sword blades. The blade on the one shown below most likely came from a rapier.
Attachments
adriatico.jpg
adriatico.jpg (600.45 KiB) Viewed 4870 times