I am considering an Ontario Military Machete (18" blade)

This board is dedicated to small and big blades related to daggers, swords, and similar items.

Moderators: Milu, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Fishtail Picklock

I am considering an Ontario Military Machete (18" blade)

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

These are great utilitarian implements that can be used to clear brush and chop down small trees. At about $26 + the cost of a good sheath the 1095 Carbon Steel Machete works extremely well for heavy yard work. (In a pinch, It could be called on for "urban" use, but I'll leave that to my three Tomahawks). Does anyone have one of these? I'd like to hear from someone before I take the plunge and grab one.

Comments? Opinions?
Fishtail Picklock
TRYKER

Re: I am considering an Ontario Military Machete (18" blade)

Post by TRYKER »

there is a site that only sells machete's. but i prefer the tramintina brand.

i also have a woodsmans pal i keep on the atv.
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
Fishtail Picklock

I ordered the Ontario Machete this morning. The Tramontina is a fine machete, but won't chop heavy (3"+) branches as quickly as will the Ontario. The blade on the American tool is 3.17 mm while the Tramontina is 2mm at its thickest. The 1095 Carbon steel blade of the Ontario machete helps the blade power through the "thick stuff".
Fishtail Picklock
kugr

Post by kugr »

Get a khukri!!!!!
Looking for those un-repairable, lost cause stilettos.
Fishtail Picklock

The Khukri is nice, but the Ontario Miltary Machete bites deeper and will suit my needs a bit better. (It has been working for the US Armed Forces since 1943). The thick .125" (1/8") spine carries its weight when it comes to severing arms, legs, necks, etc.. I also ordered a ballistic nylon sheath in which to carry it.
Fishtail Picklock
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Fishtail

I agree about the older machetes .I have a Martindale marked with a crocodile stamp British ww2 1943 carbon example, and I absolutely love the American ww2 collins examples. ....both are very good for chopping and clearing bushes and a fine melee weapon in jungle warfare .
They sharpen up a treat aswell
There is a shorter model in England issued to pilots and special forces that was a very handy tool aswell...easy to conceal if need be.

I was toying with buying this 1840s swedish sidearm a while back for bushcraft, but the knifecrime here is getting ridiculous and so will the sentences for anyone caught with knives bigger than a 3" blade . :(

This falchion I believe its called would make a great kniife for bushcraft self defence and any heavy duty chores.The one i looked at was missing its guard and scabbard and was reasonably priced .The Carbon steel on these swedish Eskilituna knives is always excellent and retains a good sharp edge

Heres a few pictures of the survival machete ww2 ,some American miltary sidearms and machetes aswell

I hope your well mate.

gravknife
Attachments
American  military knives
American military knives
7188f59cc05a3b1b6eac8c803f9e59d6.jpg (83.87 KiB) Viewed 9359 times
Swedish falchion 1840/50
Swedish falchion 1840/50
hd_item_656013_f8f6107ad9.JPG (313.64 KiB) Viewed 9359 times
Ww2 survival machete pilots /SAS
Ww2 survival machete pilots /SAS
960788_-_photo_1_1512977903_img.jpg (39.18 KiB) Viewed 9359 times
Fishtail Picklock

Thanks, Ian. I am well and am happier having moved away from my then resident maniac. The woman was a pain in the derriere. No matter, I am now among people that aren't "chemically dependent".

I want one of the new Smatchets (based on Colonel W.E. Fairbairn's original design). These are great in an urban setting as well as the field.

Blessings, brother.
Fishtail Picklock
Fishtail Picklock

The Ontario Military Machete was shipped today and should be here on Friday (or so says Amazon). The next stop will be another Smatchet.
Fishtail Picklock
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

I just recently picked up a ontario with a saw blade on the back that i'm going to do some mods to. starting with cutting it down to 10'' blade with a rounded tip for digging, then reshape the handel . on the ass end of the blade i'll put a 2'' scandi grind. this should work well in the bush.
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
Fishtail Picklock

TRYKER wrote:I just recently picked up an Ontario with a saw blade on the back that I'm going to do some mods to. starting with cutting it down to 10'' blade with a rounded tip for digging, then reshape the handle . on the ass end of the blade I'll put a 2'' Scandi grind. this should work well in the bush.
Interesting. The 1095 High Carbon Steel Ontario uses to manufacture these (tempered to 50-55 Rockwell Hardness) makes them hold a mean edge and tough. No wonder the US Military has used them since 1943.
Fishtail Picklock
Fishtail Picklock

My Ontario Military Machete arrived via UPS today. It will need some attention from my crockery sticks to attain a nice edge. (A 30-degree angle should be just about right for this piece of 1095 American High Carbon Steel). I believe that I'm really going to like this.
Fishtail Picklock
Fishtail Picklock

I took the Machete to a Lansky Honing Steel and it took a sweet edge within 10 minutes. Now it is prepared for bushcraft and brush clearing.

I love it when a "Made In the USA" product delivers outstanding performance shortly after unboxing. If you buy one of these, you won't regret it for a minute.
Fishtail Picklock
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

F.P

Glad you got the Ontario machete and it lived up to your expectations.Military knives are always well made and made ro last.

I was using my Martindale last night to chop some wood for a garden fire....still doing its job just fine after 75 plus years.

Great allround tools and a fine bush craft knife/ weapon.

Hope your well

gravknife
Fishtail Picklock

Ian:

Isn't it strange how that works? The Ontario Military Machete has been doing its job for 76 years now. The formula works. (If it isn't broken don't "fix" it).
So many newcomers to the machete (field knife) market attempt to supersede the old "tried and true" methods with limited success. Properly heat-treated, (and more expensive) higher carbon steels appear worth the money. So many want to use "tougher" stainless steels. While they may not rust as quickly, they tend to dull rapidly and require frequent honing/re-sharpening.

Just keep the blade dry and put a coat of oil on it and the High(er) Carbon Steels never fail (1055-1075-1085-1095) accomplish the job with consummate aplomb.

Cheers!
Fishtail Picklock
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Here is the Martindale mate.

Carbon tempered blade as you say best for resharpening and holding an edge.
It has a dimpled steel effect which resembles crocodile skin and has a croc stamped in the blade with the British phaeon or govt. crows foot.
Leather sheath sramped B.H.G (possibly Home guard ) and 1943.
No frills ,handle over riveted but will be with this knife long after i depart this ball.
Tools like this and the American versions like yours were tried and tested and proven in humid conditions during the war .
Great pieces
Attachments
20190327_115949.jpg
20190327_115949.jpg (775.62 KiB) Viewed 9128 times
20190327_115929.jpg
20190327_115929.jpg (548.2 KiB) Viewed 9128 times
20190327_115920.jpg
20190327_115920.jpg (731.35 KiB) Viewed 9128 times