Wooden Katana's with a sheath?

This board is dedicated to small and big blades related to daggers, swords, and similar items.

Moderators: Milu, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Kenshin Himura

Wooden Katana's with a sheath?

Post by Kenshin Himura »

I'm new here, and I've been looking all over the internet and catalogs for a wooden katana that has a sheath for practice. I have a Kendo sword, but I can't practice drawing techniques, and I could really use a sheath.

If anyone can tell me where I could find one, I'd really appreicate it.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Welcome,
I have no clue. My girlfriends Daughter is a Black Belt and she didn't know, BUT she said she would ask around and see what she could find out? This was new to her since it isn't usual to practice the draw in Kendo. [We have a few here that practice Martial Arts they may know].
Last edited by Vagrant on Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

If i was you i would go with a dull blade katana instead of a wooden bokken. The weight and feel of a wooden is not quit the same. A good replica is best for Iaido. Tey the site below, good sparring equipment for Kendo and other martial arts.

http://www.e-bogu.com/
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
sakura

Post by sakura »

an iaito would be ok. but I'd suggest a shorento. plastic, but more realistic feeling than a shinai, and what we give to beginers to teach sheathing. what I suggest to you is to find a dojo in your area that teaches some form of kenjutsu. go from there.
Kenshin Himura

Post by Kenshin Himura »

Thanks for the help... I've been looking everywhere and I couldn't find one, and I coudln't find anyone who could make them, so I was becoming rahter annoyed.

I was wondering about something as well... I used to take karate at a young age, and was forced to quit due to something happening with our sensei... I've been eager to continue training in kendo, jujistu, karate, etc... but I've mainly been looking for somewhere that could teach me about swords, but, in Georgia, I haven't been able to find any. There is one place in town that teaches karate I believe, but I don't believe karate teaches about the blade. Does anyone take kendo, or anything else that teaches about the blade? And if so, could you tell me what style of martial arts it is, so I may serch for something in Georgia about it? Thanks.
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

You can try doing a search on Kenjutsu or Battojutsu or even Iaido. Too many styles to mention. Good luck.

Try Brian Duncan, Goshin-Ryu Kenjutsu stylist in Georgia. Don't have a link, but shouldn't be hard to find.
If i find the link i will post it.
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Still no news.
Kenshin Himura

Post by Kenshin Himura »

http://sdksupplies.netfirms.com/woodwea ... yabok2.jpg

Is this what I need? I think I finally found one.
Kenshin Himura

Post by Kenshin Himura »

I meant to post this as well, this is its description:

Shiro Kashi Saya Bokuto

This is our shiro kashi bokuto (without hi), with a plastic saya and our leather single layer tsuba. The perfect beginning step for iaido students, no more pretend saya or trying to hook your hakama himo to get the bokuto tucked away at the side.
More importantly, you can practice noto correctly, with the left hand at the centre rather than at the left hip

I hope this is what I need.
Go4Broke

Post by Go4Broke »

Bugei has what you need. If you have $5,000 burning a hole in your pocket, they have some nice Katana, Wakizashi, and Tanto sets for sale. The following link will get you there. I get all my Zatoichi DVDs from them.

http://www.bugei.com/product_879_detailed.htm

Go4Broke