Can you help ID this sword?

This board is dedicated to small and big blades related to daggers, swords, and similar items.

Moderators: Milu, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Jim_mi

Can you help ID this sword?

Post by Jim_mi »

Recently acquired, I'd like to learn it's origin. There are no markings left, and no remaining blade etch.
Any help is appreciated...
Thanks, Jim
Attachments
14880430636231955391828.jpg
14880430636231955391828.jpg (41.07 KiB) Viewed 6799 times
whippersnapper

Re: Can you help ID this sword?

Post by whippersnapper »

Hi Jim, I wish we had more sword collectors post on the forums. I unfortunately know squat about long knives. I think (Ian) gravknife collects some and might be your best bet for some info.
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

I would say this is a shortened or broken sword Jim.
It looks german in style ,type in German swords ww1 /2 and you will see similar examples of the hilt and crossguard.
This could have been broken in battle ,picked up and turned into an effective trench knife /fighting knife or dirk ,you can see the clippoint meets the fuller on the blade.
It also resembles The 1796 pattern cavalry sword but these had a knuckle bow aswell as the German swords ,this will have been removed also from your knife.Take a look along these lines and you will enjoy the search.
The sheath is from a samurai sword that's modern.
It's an interesting find ,I'll keep looking to see if I can find a little more but these are my first observations.
Thanks for sharing it ,i like these field conversions ,that is if I'm correct.

All the best
Gravknife
Jim_mi

Post by Jim_mi »

Whippersnapper, thanks for the info, and for the cool knife - it fits right in with my many collections.

Gravknife - yep, it's definitely cut down. It seems to look to my untrained eye like a German artillery sword from World War 1. In the pics I've seen of the German sword, the handle has less "ridges" in it, and no wire wrap as mine does.
I also don't see any markings as I would expect to find on the German sword.
Thanks for the quick reply, and let me know if you need any more pics.
Jim
Jim_mi

Post by Jim_mi »

WoW! I had no idea there were so many different types of German swords.
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Jim_mi
There are some magnificent German swords with Damascus blades and full cavalry charge etchings,i love swords and daggers ,knives of all descriptions not just switchblades.
I've seen this hilt on european cavalry swords from 200 years ago.What's the hilt made from,is it painted wood,or shagreen ,I'm only on a phone at present.
Type in British 1796 light cavalry sword ,I've seen this hilt before on many cavalry swords from Europe ,its just a matter of pinning it down to one.The brass backstrap and guard led me towards the German artillery swords ,but as you say these are usually marked with designs.
Great piece of history whichever period its from.
If you have swords and daggers my freind share them.

Regards
Ian
Jim_mi

Post by Jim_mi »

Ian - the hilt appears to be wood.
The handle, as you will see in the pics, is some sort of mesh with braided wire wrap. This wrap is in all 11 "ridges" of the handle.
I noticed that the bottom of the guard looks thicker than most swords I've found on the internet. I've marked that area on the pic. The 2d pic is of the pommel.
I know I'm getting the nomenclature wrong on this but I'm just learning...

And here's 2 pics of another cut-down I have. I think this one is a US Cav sword.
IMG_1141.jpg
IMG_1141.jpg (179.23 KiB) Viewed 6740 times
IMG_1139.jpg
IMG_1139.jpg (390.17 KiB) Viewed 6740 times
IMG_1136.jpg
IMG_1136.jpg (251.81 KiB) Viewed 6740 times
IMG_1135.jpg
IMG_1135.jpg (321.95 KiB) Viewed 6740 times
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Jim
Firstly I love the U.S cavalry sabre cut down.I'll bet that could tell some stories if it could talk.The sheath is nice also and looks period.
The better picture on the sword we are trying to pin down shows me this handle is bound in shagreen ,common as a sword grip covering,stopped sweaty or bloody hands from slipping in battle.I think this sword is German ,by the wire binding general shape and the brass locking Chape.
It's late here now in the U.K but I'll find an example with full blade length tomorrow to show you.

Love these cut downs
Ian
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Jim
Here are some examples of german swords.
The last by horster is similar to your example.
I believe this pattern was used in the franco prussian war of 1870 onwards and ww1 ,ww2.
I surmise it wouldnt be cutdown in ww2 so its 1870s -1918 trench knife or dirk.
Cool anyway

Regards
Ian
Attachments
german-ww1-artillery-officer-sword-3.jpg
german-ww1-artillery-officer-sword-3.jpg (60.77 KiB) Viewed 6698 times
31477.jpg
31477.jpg (72.41 KiB) Viewed 6698 times
wkcsword4.JPG
wkcsword4.JPG (183.55 KiB) Viewed 6698 times
Jim_mi

Post by Jim_mi »

Those certainly are similar. I assumed it was cut down for use in World War II, but it sounds like it's considerably older than that.
Thank you for your research. This has really stirred my interest in the swords. I suppose now the only thing to do is to try to find a full-length one.
Something else to collect...
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Swords are great Jim.
You can pick them up reasonably sometimes and some are beautifully etched.
I have some from 1796 right up to ww1 most without scanbards unfortunately but all are interesting and well made weapons used in war .
I love Samurai swords but they are getting expensive now and im sticking with my 4 ww2 swords .
Its nice to have someone interested in swords and daggers here Jim.
Take care

Ian
Jim_mi

Post by Jim_mi »

Sometimes I think I am interested in everything. Thanks so much for your help. It's nice to meet someone of similar interest, especially when they're so willing to share their expertise.

Jim