Japanese style knife by Aan S.

This board is dedicated to small and big blades related to daggers, swords, and similar items.

Moderators: Milu, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ILikeStilettos

Japanese style knife by Aan S.

Post by ILikeStilettos »

I first saw this knife on a social media site and eventually made the acquaintance of Aan S. This electronic age is amazing it that it allows you to connect with people half-way around the world and talk to one another using programs like Google Translate. After some initial rough spots in working out the communication and making gentle enquires, Aan and I came to terms, I sent an online payment and I sat back to wait and see. I was hoping the knife would be as stunning as it appeared to be, but there were so many ways that this could all go wrong. It took nearly a month to get it, but when it came, it was even better than I had hoped. So wow, sometimes the stars align, or perhaps I just got incredibly lucky.

As many of you know, I'm a big fan of highly patterned acrylics and stabilized woods. However, this one was just over the top. My first shock was when Aan informed me that this one is teak burl. I've heard of teak for top shelf cabinetry and sailing yachts, but I'd never heard of teak burl. I was already impressed with the lovely, glass-like finish in his initial pictures, but the reality was even better. I have had knives customized with bookmatched grains, but this is something of a crap shoot, because when you round the edges of slabs, the patterns most likely change and you no longer have patterns matching across edges. By starting with a solid chunk of wood and splitting it with very little "kerf", Aan demonstrates great craftsmanship and planning. The way he matches grains is just uncanny.

It doesn't seem to matter how you tilt or rotate this piece, it's always visually stunning. Sheathed, it measures 29,5 cm at the longest dimension by 3 cm wide and weighs about 181 g. It's quite light for a big knife.

Now to the crux of the matter. The 14,5 cm blade is about 25 mm wide and 4 mm thick, so it's quite sturdy. Unsheathed the weight falls to 126 g. Please note the contour of the unground part of the blade. It's thinned imperceptibly starting at the point, but is pretty much full thickness starting at the end of the false edge. This allows the blade to slip into the sheath easily with gradually increasing resistance until perhaps the last inch of travel, when it sort of 'snaps' into the fully sheathed position. I had to do this many times trying to figure out how he achieved it, but it's all a matter of the fit of sheath to blade, no springs involved.

Back view. Again, Aan has split the wood to mate it to the tang and the grain match is so good that you barely detect the join line.

To steal a much abused term, this thing is 'scary sharp'. I'm used to gently testing an edge with my thumb and it lacked that sharp feel that you get from tiny, microteeth. However, when I tested it against my leg, it shaved a postage stamped piece cleanly. Oh yeah, it's sharp. I was unfamiliar with the XW42 material, but figured that the letter designation meant tool steel. A little Google research revealed it as a high-carbon, high-vanadium cutlery steel. As I might of guessed, Aan doesn't cut ANY corners.

So that's my latest acquisition and my latest yarn. Comments and questions are much appreciated. From his photo, Aan looks like a young man. From his knives, I believe he is a master cutler.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
sammy the blade

Re: Japanese style knife by Aan S.

Post by sammy the blade »

Most impressive! I like them sharp too but I rarely get one that way. Congrats.
2024 candidate for president
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Dave
This is a really lovely knife in the style of a japanese aikuchi dagger.
These were carried by people in japan hidden in sleeves for protection ,and in places where swords had to be removed totally.
This i have to say looks more usable ,and rugged than a polished antique and i love the shape and grind of this knife,its deadly .
The sheath fits the knife so well as its chiselled exactly to the blade shape on each separate half of wood,a lot of work and the handles 2 halves to the knifes tang,its how japanese saya and shirasaya are made but yours is made of matched grained wood to add to the hardship.They always fit like a glove.
I cant comment on the steel as i only just heard of it now but i can say the grind and workmanship is superb ,so it makes sense the craftsman used the best he knew for this knife.
I can also see the craftsman has spent time around ,and probably owns japanese swords as hes picked a good shape of blade and stayed with the japanese love of stylised and natural looking sheath or saya,usually done in lacquer to create the desired colours and lines.
Thanks for sharing this Dave ,that knife could be an excellent user but its just too nice .
I really love it mate.
Hope your well.

Ian
Attachments
$_1 (5).JPG
$_1 (5).JPG (23.27 KiB) Viewed 6029 times
AMDAZ

Post by AMDAZ »

Had one .Purchased in early 1970's.Used to scal+ Clean fish. Holds a good edge. Did.not recap after kartina hit La. along. with many more good items.Liked how the wood handle slips on the blade . Just as.mine did. NICE. Thanks for pic.
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

bangie wrote:I like it, Dave. It's a Beautiful Piece. It's just like the smaller versions you see that's mostly for opening letters IMO, but I see them called "Sushi Knives" too. Not sure of the actual name. I've always liked the style and it's great to see a large sized model. :thumbs Up:

Does "Alan" have a website?
As I mentioned to you, all of his stuff is on Facebook. I went back and captured pictures of anything else he had done. Enjoy.

Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Used different search criterion, found some others:

Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Dave
These are beautiful knives mate and in every style from finnish to japanese and a beautiful couple of hunting knives .
Thanks for sharing these Dave this bloke can really work with steel ,its hard enough staying in a comfort zone you are used to ,but he his making many styles with different grinds,hamons and shapes.
Great eye candy.

You take care my freind ,ill speak soon.
Regards
Ian
preachere

Post by preachere »

Sorry for the late reply, but how much was your knife?

Regards,
Eric
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

preachere wrote:Sorry for the late reply, but how much was your knife?

Regards,
Eric
I sent you a PM.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

It's a shame more knife collectors here find little interest in this kind of knife. Sometimes the jewels are where we least expect them.
These knives are treasures in my eyes but then again this blue marble has an endless supply of hidden treasures. Impossible to comprehend.

This is in my mind a great example of those hidden treasures. Any time we as collectors can shed light on obscure knife makers please do so.

Thanks Dave, this is an older post but I just want to bring it back to face because I love some of these knives and it's a cool alternative to the switchblade world.

Cheers.
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Viking45 wrote:It's a shame more knife collectors here find little interest in this kind of knife. Sometimes the jewels are where we least expect them.
These knives are treasures in my eyes but then again this blue marble has an endless supply of hidden treasures. Impossible to comprehend.

This is in my mind a great example of those hidden treasures. Any time we as collectors can shed light on obscure knife makers please do so.

Thanks Dave, this is an older post but I just want to bring it back to face because I love some of these knives and it's a cool alternative to the switchblade world.

Cheers.
Thanks, Dave. I only wish Aan was more communicative. He's been building me a second knife for months now.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690