Bayonets

This board is dedicated to small and big blades related to daggers, swords, and similar items.

Moderators: Milu, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
gravknife

Bayonets

Post by gravknife »

Hope this is the right category for these bad boys.
I collected bayonets some time ago and thought id share a few with hooked quillions.
Im told these were for bayonet fighting to snap an opponents blade,but they are so well constructed I think you would have a hard time ,possibly just for trapping it.
The largest is German .It resembles a chassepot rifle bayonet but it has a weyersberg kings head .Im unsure if it was a capture piece or official German one.I love how well made military stuff really was.Its a yataghan shaped blade and similar were used by zouaves in the American civil war.
The second is a Gras rifle bayonet .Its T shaped blade gave a hard to stitch wound during battle.This example is marked Armes de Chateraullt Avril 1876.
The third is a Japanese WW2 arisaka rifle bayonet from the Nagoya arsenal in tokyo.Its only sharpened for the last third for ease of getting it out of the body I presume.Beautiful steel on this blade with a grain and its razor sharp.
Hope nobody minds these being posted ,and thought some may like a look,ive quite a few from different eras and in varying lengths.

Ian
Attachments
DSC_0010.jpg
DSC_0010.jpg (406.66 KiB) Viewed 3235 times
DSC_0011.jpg
DSC_0011.jpg (399.79 KiB) Viewed 3235 times
DSC_0012.jpg
DSC_0012.jpg (408.06 KiB) Viewed 3235 times
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Re: Bayonets

Post by natcherly »

Those are some interesting examples.

My first real edged weapon, forgetting the cheap manual folders every boy gets as gifts, was an 1976 Gras just like the one pictured. The scabbard was all rusty, but the dealer advised that a careful going over with light steel wool and oil would remove the rust but preserve the finish. This proved to be good advice, The bluing on the scabbard was nice deep color.
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

No scabbard with my Gras unfortunately Natcherley,id love one as blued steel wood and brass just goes so well together.
I like the gras ,its sort of a miniature epee .
The german is interesting with a fat faced king ,i thought it a chassepot for years .
Thanks for posting natcherley ,do you still have it?

All the best
Ian
Rey Zhourej

Post by Rey Zhourej »

Nice ones! I'm not much into military stuff(too many fakes floating around)but have picked up a few over the years.Got rid of some that I probably shouldn't have(a Chassepot and an old English sword(model 1849 maybe?). These are some that I have left.
An M-1 bayonet marked AFH 1943 that a friend of mine chrome plated many years ago.
Next one might be a Mauser(not sure)here is the mark on it.
Not really a bayonet but a German fireman's dagger(still trying to figure out why a fireman would need a dagger)
Next one looks like an M-1 bayonet that has been shortened. Someone said these were made in South Korea after the war. That was the way I got it.
Last one is marked Gottlieb Hammesfahr(sp?).My brother dug it out of an antique shop in Miami Florida.
Attachments
GottleibHammerschfarrBayonet.jpg
GottleibHammerschfarrBayonet.jpg (125.76 KiB) Viewed 3213 times
FiremansKnife1.jpg
FiremansKnife1.jpg (90.57 KiB) Viewed 3213 times
Bayonet099B.jpg
Bayonet099B.jpg (74.76 KiB) Viewed 3213 times
Bayonet099.jpg
Bayonet099.jpg (83.49 KiB) Viewed 3213 times
AFHBayonet1.jpg
AFHBayonet1.jpg (88.55 KiB) Viewed 3213 times
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

gravknife wrote:No scabbard with my Gras unfortunately Natcherley,id love one as blued steel wood and brass just goes so well together.
I like the gras ,its sort of a miniature epee .
Thanks for posting natcherley ,do you still have it?

All the best
Ian
Yes, still have it after some 60 years. Bought in England for 10 shillings, about $1.40 back then.

The most aggressive bayo I ever owned was a Swiss Vertelli. The rifle was .41 cal rimfire. You could literally hear the slow moving bullet hit the target at 100 yards. I sold the rifle and bayo years ago but found this picture of one which really doesn't do it justice. The blade was almost 1/4 thick and the cross cut saw was sharp as all hell. Imagine getting stuck with one of these...:evil:

gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Love those rifles and bayonets Natch.
Thanks for the pic never owned a vetterelli saw back but wanted one ,there a pretty penny now .I love the knurled grips and leather scabbard .I didnt know they were that thick! I'd love to shoot as you did these old rifles ,a dream never to be had here sadly nowadays,as even though the vetterelli is an obsolete calibre , many are deactivated in the UK.
I remember reading about the outcry of the Brits to the German sawbacks in ww1, as if 2 ft of cold steel rammed in the stomach wasn't bad enough saw or not,we named our sawbacks Pioneer bayonets in the Victorian era.
Didn't know you got over to our side of the pond,where in England did you stay Natch?

Rey
Those are some nice bayonets.
The f iremans dress dagger was more for show than usage ,hence the polished blade.Adolf know how to make even the non military services feel part of his war machine.
The eskilutuna AB anchor is lovely ,i like these dagger bladed bayonets and this type was particularly well made,look at the finish on it and steel work .That's a rare bayonet used on the swedish mauser i believe ,a great fighting knife and well thought out.
The butcher's bayonet is nice by hammesfahr ,love the swell tip on these ,good hacking blades for trench work in ww1.

Thanks for sharing these pics both of you.
I'm having problems getting switches at present ,so I'm forced to go into my ww2 metal travelling trunk to have a look at my past collections.......I'm enjoying it really as it saves a bit of money.
All the best

Ian