German Naval Dagger

This board is dedicated to small and big blades related to daggers, swords, and similar items.

Moderators: Milu, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
gravknife

German Naval Dagger

Post by gravknife »

I bought this many years ago as I had a passion for German ww2 medals and bayonets and fighting knives.
This is an eickhorn squirrel solingen stamped example,with a fouled anchor etch.I think it dates to 1942 as there is a later version squirrel holding a sword with bigger stamp but im not 100%.The original knot is a little worse for wear and has been held together by tin wire but these are sometimes missing anyway.
The blade is full with original needle point and retains nearly all the etch with a few scratches commensurate with usage.
Handle is white plastic, yellowed now with age.Its swirled with gilt rope ,and the pommel and guard have the eagle with swastika and anchor in the guard centre,the guard arms gadrooned with shaped finials all nicely done. It still has the small leather washer to stop banging on the sheath when pushing the blade nack in.
The sheath is gilt brass worn now showing lightning with arrow heads.Its a bit dented like a lot of these I was told by getting trapped in doors as its a long dagger.Two suspension rings with bands of oak leaves attatching them.
Not an effective fighting knife but more of a dress dagger for the Kriegsmarine officer,examples by weyersberg and orange gripped examples with ship etches and pebbled scabbards are among rhe rarer examples.
I love German daggers and hope some may post their examples here

Ian
Attachments
DSC_0027.jpg
DSC_0027.jpg (259.32 KiB) Viewed 5384 times
DSC_0018.jpg
DSC_0018.jpg (448.85 KiB) Viewed 5384 times
DSC_0025.jpg
DSC_0025.jpg (461.18 KiB) Viewed 5384 times
big_slim

Re: German Naval Dagger

Post by big_slim »

That's a great looking knife, thanks for posting! I love the blade etching. My only WWII German daggers are a couple of cheap chinese fakes...
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Thanks big_slim
I only have a couple of German daggers .My S.A. needs a handle making ,its got all the original bits blade guards pummel nut and badge plus eagle,but the handles are hard to get symmetrical to the round guards and pommel ,and the eagle has to be carved out.I did one on a fake if I can find it I'll post.
I love these daggers,the Germans knew how to make a soldier feel important and most are decorative at best.
This naval Dirk has a bit of class ,I wish I could tie the knot though.,its a mother.
I doubt I can afford any more these days but the diplomats dagger is as cool as ice,plus my favourite the chained SS dagger.
Are you interested in German things?
Take care mate

Ian
Last edited by gravknife on Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
big_slim

Post by big_slim »

I only just now really looked at the scabbard and saw the arrow/lightning bolts, very cool detail. The Germans definitely won the style war...I really like the German knives but the Nazi era stuff has been pretty heavily reproduced and faked and I've always been a little wary of spending any real money on anything like that. But that dagger of yours is obviously the real deal, great piece of history!
bigfatross

Post by bigfatross »

I picked up this "Blood and Honor" reproduction around 1977,78 at a knife shop in Chicago. I tried to sell it on ebay but they pulled it because it had a swastika on it.

I don't think it's a Chinese repo (too old) the blade has "Germany" stamped in it. I highly doubt if it was made in Germany ( although the blade may have been) because of the whole Nazi thing there.

The Knife itself weighs 10 oz. has a nice quality about it.
Attachments
013.jpg
013.jpg (52.67 KiB) Viewed 5116 times
07.jpg
07.jpg (27.19 KiB) Viewed 5116 times
05.jpg
05.jpg (15.38 KiB) Viewed 5116 times
03.jpg
03.jpg (30.72 KiB) Viewed 5116 times
01.jpg
01.jpg (21.89 KiB) Viewed 5116 times
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Thats a nice knife Ross.
I believe its a an earlier copy,with the leather sheath.The best copies were Spanish,i believe yours could be one of these,its lovely quality.
Ive never seen a hitler jugend with a bowie blade before,but im way rusty on these now.
Being from the 70s it could be German but they usually denazify anything .
Thanks for sharing Ross ,my first knife was a HJ copy when I was 9 ,from a fleamarket in Lymm in ,Cheshire .It was excellent quality like yours....brought back memories.
Hope your well mate.
Ian
bigfatross

Post by bigfatross »

gravknife wrote:Thats a nice knife Ross.
I believe its a an earlier copy,with the leather sheath.The best copies were Spanish,i believe yours could be one of these,its lovely quality.
Ive never seen a hitler jugend with a bowie blade before,but im way rusty on these now.
Being from the 70s it could be German but they usually denazify anything .
Thanks for sharing Ross ,my first knife was a HJ copy when I was 9 ,from a fleamarket in Lymm in ,Cheshire .It was excellent quality like yours....brought back memories.
Hope your well mate.
Ian
Hey Ian,
Thanks for the info, I thought the same thing about the whole "denazify" thing. I did a half ass search on the blut und ehre knife,
and could not find one with a bowie blade either.

Looks like you have been hitting on a couple of good deals lately! Talk to you soon.
Thanks again.
Ross