Swordcanes

This board is dedicated to small and big blades related to daggers, swords, and similar items.

Moderators: Milu, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
gravknife

Swordcanes

Post by gravknife »

Just wondering if anyone has or is interested in these types of concealed weapon.
This one I got some years back from a great freind.He was a lot older than me and used to save his school dinner money to go into old junk shops and buy guns knives bayonets etc,this is where he got this sword in the 1960s.
It's marked Wilkinson sword and Swaine and Brigg, carbon steel fullered and nicely decorated. The edge is unsharpened, but it's a sharp point.Malacca wood cane with silver ferrule and skull basher grip..
I was looking them up and saw this beauty, a walking stick with concealed knife, it looks like a trapdoor type and spring is evident.
Anyone know more on these I'd be grateful for info.

Regards
Gravknife
Attachments
cane76.jpg
cane76.jpg (10.26 KiB) Viewed 7861 times
DSC_0002.jpg
DSC_0002.jpg (341.69 KiB) Viewed 7861 times
DSC_0004.jpg
DSC_0004.jpg (366.6 KiB) Viewed 7861 times
whippersnapper

Re: Swordcanes

Post by whippersnapper »

Interesting! Thanks for sharing!
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Thanks for answering whippersnapper I best stay off this section :)
I collect many things swords bayonets and medals they all interest me.
Thanks mate for posting.
Regards
Gravknife
peter44

Post by peter44 »

Hello Ian , i love that ! And its a Wilkinson too ! you can send that down south if you get bored of it !
Guns for show, knives for a pro!
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Hiya mate.
Send me your sandshark up North for a holiday and I'll send down my swordstick to you.;)
Thanks for taking a look mate.
Regards

Ian
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Hello all
Another smaller swordstick from India, possibly Nepal in the 50s -70s
Its reminiscent of a tourist piece but the blade is nicely worked and the fit is excellent.
Theres a Ghurkha coin set in the handle pommel depicting a crowned monkey and masked men,a bit like a Michael Jacksons after party. :)
The dagger blade is sharp with blood groove hand cut in the centre.
Ebony wood and bone with zinc inlay,cant find much else about them
Any info or if anyone has one id be grateful for info.
Take a look.

Gravknife
Attachments
DSC_0013.jpg
DSC_0013.jpg (357.85 KiB) Viewed 7284 times
DSC_0016.jpg
DSC_0016.jpg (348.53 KiB) Viewed 7284 times
DSC_0014.jpg
DSC_0014.jpg (432.62 KiB) Viewed 7284 times
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I like them, but only have one- an Indian made with lion head pommel.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

The Wilkinson is gorgeous. Wilkinson Sword also made these beauties around 1903 8)
Attachments
wilkinson tmc.jpg
wilkinson tmc.jpg (66.17 KiB) Viewed 7264 times
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Bill ,
The tourist pieces had lions heads ,but some are a lot better than others in quality,and are officers private purchase blades.Some lions heads are beautifully carved and command the highest khukuri prices.
I have a fair few khukuri and they are deadly knives,and great in the field.,I'd like to see it Bill if you get time.
Viking ,didn't even know they made motorbikes,its a stunner.My mum and dad had a Vincent black shadow ,triumphs ,Norton BSA back in their day ,thanks for the pic I'll show the old man ,bikes always cheer him up even at 92,must stay in the blood.

Both take care
Ian
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Bill
Heres some Ghurkhas ive picked up over the years.
There are 2 with lion pomels but the brass one is higher quality.It s from an army freind of mine who was in korea and its well made.The lions are never well detailed unless on victorian or special pieces,these command high values.
The best I have is a handmade 1920s by ajab Singh of ghum.
The blade has a pattern and was hand folded,probably from a railway track or truck spring.Its heavy but perfectly balanced.
The bone handle is a very early parade knife .Its light and has dui chirra blade,its lethally fast and sharp and has a military marked scabbard.
The small walnut handled knife is a ww1 1917 fake made in the 70s but the steel is magnificent,it holds an edge and is extremely well tempered .I thought it to be original in 1986 when I bought it.
They are great display items and if you know how to work with them the best survival knife ever made.
They have a tinder pouch with flint and fire making material on the back of the sheath,a small skinner (patch knife) and blade sharpener knives but ,mostly these originals go missing.Its a fine machete and hut builder,that keeps a sharp edge and is still a lethal killing knife.
Im forced to look through my collections for now so apologies if this has been covered.
I love Ghurkha knives and im still after a WW2 british example thats not faked.I have one marked SNP that is WW2 but its handle differs and isnt riveted on.Its off having a frog made for it.
Send a picture Bill id like a look,always had a soft spot for these.
The Ghurkhas gave the British a run for their money with these knives,cavalry officers reported Ghurkhas running under horses and disembowling them so they fell,the rider was then amputated lets say.
Another was more recent in iraq when a Ghurkha was asked to bring in an Iraqi and was told he must be able to be identified.
Whilst getting him out they come under extreme fire .On returning from the mission the Ghurkha presented his officer with a bag containing the head of his captor,so they could id him.He was charged but later freed as it was allowable in his culture.
There are many stories of these soldiers and weapons .
I hope others post some here.
Sorry for going on

Regards
Gravknife
Attachments
DSC_0019.jpg
DSC_0019.jpg (304.33 KiB) Viewed 7250 times
DSC_0023.jpg
DSC_0023.jpg (313.62 KiB) Viewed 7250 times
DSC_0021.jpg
DSC_0021.jpg (311.32 KiB) Viewed 7250 times
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Couple more pictures.
Attachments
DSC_0027.jpg
DSC_0027.jpg (348.6 KiB) Viewed 7248 times
DSC_0026.jpg
DSC_0026.jpg (259.28 KiB) Viewed 7248 times
lance

Post by lance »

Wow these are amazing,my mom uses a cane and she's wanted a nice cane sord for years,but I can never seem to find them made with aNY kind of quality.I spend too much on vintage autos right now I don't think I could collect sords canes but I'd love to get my mum a nice one of good quality so,if anyone has any,they may part with I'd appreciate it mums birthday is the 17th of July.the Cane's are sweet!!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

These are the finest ones made: http://www.swordcane.com/index.htm
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Bill, thanks for the link to the best quality ones. They're out of my range, but cool to look at.

Lance, I'd also look at Cold Steel, they have very sturdy ones for modest prices.

Question: Aren't these considered as class 3 weapons because the sword function is concealed and represented as something innocent?
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."