More pictures of sword

This board is dedicated to small and big blades related to daggers, swords, and similar items.

Moderators: Milu, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
gravknife

More pictures of sword

Post by gravknife »

Few more pictures of Kuniie sword.
Attachments
DSC_0009.jpg
DSC_0009.jpg (394.01 KiB) Viewed 11540 times
Kuniies signature
Kuniies signature
received_792733097481494_1.jpeg (88.65 KiB) Viewed 11557 times
received_860664330688370.jpeg
received_860664330688370.jpeg (134.29 KiB) Viewed 11557 times
gravknife

Re: More pictures of sword

Post by gravknife »

Couple more pictures of sword for anyone interested in these blades.
I couldnt find them for ages.
I have a real love for these but they cost too much nowadays.
Thanks for looking.
Ian
Attachments
post-4309-14196907640916.jpg
post-4309-14196907640916.jpg (53.68 KiB) Viewed 7679 times
post-4309-14196905217889.jpg
post-4309-14196905217889.jpg (98.61 KiB) Viewed 7679 times
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Cool 8)
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Thanks whippersnapper for taking a look.
I had a real passion for these handmade Japanese blades,they are works of art in hand .
I know Japanese steel is inferior to say powdered pure steel but the iron sand used in these blades is worked to make this same steel used for a 1000 year's as pure as humanly possible .It would be much easier to import quality steel from Europe and many Smith's did,even marking the fact on the finished blade , but the tamahagane is a tradition ,a means of carrying on these mystical swords.
I have a few more from ww2 one by ichihara nagamitsu,and a star stamped RJT by motomura kanemoto .I wanted an older sword but many were not as good as the ww2 makers ,and the best are many thousands of dollars.
There is one sword possibly in America that is priceless made by the greatest maker in Japanese history in the 1200s ,the honju Masamune .The sword that won Japans greatest civil war was taken by ieaysu tokugawa from his losing commander.It was handed in by his relatives to the US when Japan were defeated , as swords were banned.
Seargeant Cody Bilmore signed the sword out and took it not knowing it's significance .
Sword collectors believe it's in a vets attic just waiting to be discovered.
Trouble is it can only be verified by Japanese experts and if sent to Japan it would never be released by them.
You lot get looking on those attics ,it's there somewhere.
Has anyone else interest in these blades I'd love to see some swords posted here.
All the best
Ian
Attachments
DSC_0006.jpg
DSC_0006.jpg (394.71 KiB) Viewed 7594 times
DSC_0001.jpg
DSC_0001.jpg (435.58 KiB) Viewed 7594 times
DSC_0004.jpg
DSC_0004.jpg (517.48 KiB) Viewed 7594 times
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Couple of pics of Yoshihara kuniie during WW2 testing a sword and a later shot in the 60s.
Nagamitsu sword ,a great cutter which was famous for cutting open a helmet in a sword test during ww2.
Not this sword of mine though .Its a lethal heavier blade ,needs polishing but at 200 dollars an inch 27 inch both sides ,I like it as is.:)
The polish is done by differing stones to bring out the Hamon and activities in the blade ,the last stones are as fine as 15000 grit I've been told,called ha to.
Apologies for going on in advance but like my beloved switches these can get a hold .
Thanks for looking.
Ian
Attachments
DSC_0007.jpg
DSC_0007.jpg (390.66 KiB) Viewed 7592 times
061.jpg
061.jpg (26.24 KiB) Viewed 7592 times
post-191-1419684333779.jpg
post-191-1419684333779.jpg (26.62 KiB) Viewed 7592 times
Rey Zhourej

Post by Rey Zhourej »

Here are a couple that I picked up several years ago at a garage sale.Posted them on another site and there was a split between whether they were authentic or modern Chinese fakes. Not wanting to take them apart and perhaps damage them,I submitted detailed photographs to a noted appraiser of Japanese items and he was of the opinion that they were real but would have to see them in person to verify that. As he lives halfway across the country from me it will be difficult to do that. He did NOT want me to send them through the mails.
Anyway in the third picture,the small rectangular bronze piece is actually the handle of a small knife concealed in the scabbard.There is one on each side.The blades do not have a distinct temper line but seem to be made of a very fine grained layered steel.
If in fact they are copies they are damned good ones as the details everywhere seem to be done very well.My investment was minimal($225 for the pair).I can provide more detailed shots but can only post 4 pictures at a time.
Attachments
IMG_4558.jpg
IMG_4558.jpg (93.06 KiB) Viewed 6998 times
IMG_4556.jpg
IMG_4556.jpg (96.24 KiB) Viewed 6998 times
IMG_4555.jpg
IMG_4555.jpg (105.84 KiB) Viewed 6998 times
IMG_4554.jpg
IMG_4554.jpg (103.44 KiB) Viewed 6998 times
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Rey
I need to see the Hamon to see if any nice crystals are evident.
Many hamons are believed genuine but are acid etched into the blade after oil quenching ,whereas a genuine blade is water tempered and the Hamon is applied by mud and straw ,in intricate lines to create ,choji,waves,crysanthenums floating on water,horses teath,demon fangs and all sorts of anomalies like sunagashi which is swept sand .When quenched this gives the blade its curvature,or sori.
These you posted have a promising shape even in their scabbard s but i need to see the Hamon to be sure .
Many swords were made in Indonesia and the Philippines after ww2 for gi's to buy as souvenirs .
Also many were made as decor for Japanese families who wanted part of their history back.
In any case you made a good buy for 225 dollars and I'd be very interested to see the actual blades .
Thanks for sharing them Rey ,i love Japanese weapons.

Ian
Rey Zhourej

Post by Rey Zhourej »

Here are a couple of really lousy pictures of the blades. I tried to capture the layering but it wasn't that great. I will have to get them out of my vault and try taking better pictures.
Attachments
IMG_4548.jpg
IMG_4548.jpg (75.12 KiB) Viewed 6980 times
IMG_4547.jpg
IMG_4547.jpg (72.61 KiB) Viewed 6980 times
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Rey
I believe these are Chinese made blades but would still like to see the blade tip ,a usual giveaway by its shape.These were made for decoration but still sharp and usable.
The Chinese have made these for a while and i believe they are hand made without the time spent by japanese smiths to make a competent hamon with bright white nie crystals .

Japanese swords are a minefield Rey ,even when they are correct they hide flaws such as temper line cracks and blisters ,plus faked signatures .
Still nice damascus steel pattern and work for the price you paid and nice looking swords.
The hada or blade pattern is trying to be masame or ayasugi .Type in" gassan sadakazu" and look at the steel pattern on these japanese swords if you get time.
This is only an opinion Rey and im only comfortable with ww2 swords really maybe check on the nihonto message board .
Thanks for sharing them Rey i still like them and ive spent more on spanish made samurai swords in my youth which are just straight steel and no hada at all.
Here are two examples of a similar hada to yours with a nie crystal hamon made by the gassan school of smiths.
All the best
Ian
Attachments
f33df65a00457283fca467c4c0f34be0.jpg
f33df65a00457283fca467c4c0f34be0.jpg (5.34 KiB) Viewed 6959 times
ss10.jpg
ss10.jpg (223.23 KiB) Viewed 6959 times
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Ian

I'd meant to respond to this topic a long time ago, as I've always admired 'samurai' swords while knowing very little about them, There are three sets of them in my home, but they are all modern reproductions, and sadly at the low end of the spectrum. What you have is fascinating. I am equally impressed with the sword lore, and it's the main reason I so like the Christopher Lambert film, "The Hunted". There are many horrifying and deadly techniques shown in the fight scenes, and the 'anti-hero' of the film retains the services of a sword maker on his estate. When the police demand that he surrender his sword, he breaks it before handing it over and it's clear that only two people ever touch it, the maker and the owner.

I also held off in commenting because I was waiting for a particular knife to arrive, be photographed and posted. Here's the link, and I believe you will quickly see the connection.

http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24429

As always, I totally enjoy your posts and comments. Bless you my friend, and I envy you for these fine artifacts and pieces of cutler's art.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Dave
Id be happy to help you if you wish to learn more about the japanese sword but my few years study of ww2 blades is beginner/entry level at best .
Samurai swords are the japanese pinching the ideas of others (China and phillipines )and honing them to perfection over a 1200 year period.
Entry level gendaito (water tempered handmade)ww2 swords are where i began and then i ran out of money before i could secure a koto blade used 500 _600 years ago.
There is something mystical when you handle japanese steel ,i have looked at my kuniie sword over 2 years and see different activities everytime in the hamon ,i know you would love these blades Dave and the mounts are exceptional on higher grade pieces.
If you ever want to chat my good freind pm me ,i have a passion for these and only money stopped my pursuit of excellence .
I hope your well my freind ....love the aan knife you posted,different and a beautiful shaped blade .Ill keep my eye out for this guy in future.
Heres a few shots of hamon creation by kuniies grandson Yoshindo,a living national art treasure now ,my sword is by his grandfather,Yoshihara who had seven generations of blacksmiths before him.
Give me a shout if you ever need info or help regarding japanese steel as i know many sword collectors and freinds who have magnificent collections,that would help,and id be glad to answer what i can with my limited knowledge.
My best to you and your family
Regards
Ian
Attachments
yaki-ire2.jpg
yaki-ire2.jpg (70.05 KiB) Viewed 6259 times
Maestro-KOKAJI-YOSHINDO-YOSHIHARA-SENSEI-94780_630x300.jpg
Maestro-KOKAJI-YOSHINDO-YOSHIHARA-SENSEI-94780_630x300.jpg (36.77 KiB) Viewed 6259 times
post-4309-14196905518168.jpg
post-4309-14196905518168.jpg (693.76 KiB) Viewed 6259 times
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

gravknife wrote:Dave
Id be happy to help you if you wish to learn more about the japanese sword but my few years study of ww2 blades is beginner/entry level at best .
Samurai swords are the japanese pinching the ideas of others (China and phillipines )and honing them to perfection over a 1200 year period.
Entry level gendaito (water tempered handmade)ww2 swords are where i began and then i ran out of money before i could secure a koto blade used 500 _600 years ago.
There is something mystical when you handle japanese steel ,i have looked at my kuniie sword over 2 years and see different activities everytime in the hamon ,i know you would love these blades Dave and the mounts are exceptional on higher grade pieces.
If you ever want to chat my good freind pm me ,i have a passion for these and only money stopped my pursuit of excellence .
I hope your well my freind ....love the aan knife you posted,different and a beautiful shaped blade .Ill keep my eye out for this guy in future.
Heres a few shots of hamon creation by kuniies grandson Yoshindo,a living national art treasure now ,my sword is by his grandfather,Yoshihara who had seven generations of blacksmiths before him.
Give me a shout if you ever need info or help regarding japanese steel as i know many sword collectors and freinds who have magnificent collections,that would help,and id be glad to answer what i can with my limited knowledge.
My best to you and your family
Regards
Ian
I will definitely take you up on that. Sending you a PM in a moment.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."