Waking up..the sword forum returns :D

This board is dedicated to small and big blades related to daggers, swords, and similar items.

Moderators: Milu, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
kaotikross

Waking up..the sword forum returns :D

Post by kaotikross »

Hi everybody, brand new here, and I into swords. Let's get this ball rolling. I own a rapier, multiple sabers and cutlasses, two longswords, two katanas, a grosse messer, three trainers, some wooden wasters, and a bunch of wall-hanger junk bought before i knew what to buy. I hope to see some sword posts on here. Until we get going I'll be spending some time reading the older posts. Thanks for having me.
ILikeStilettos

Re: Waking up..the sword forum returns :D

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Hello and welcome. The following may be of help while you are catching up:

http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22782

I have a couple of 3-sword sets and a "Conan the Barbarian" - I was attracted by the looks and the fantasy, not functionality. I keep being intrigued by the "black Damascus" that some sites offer (it looks more like red than black to me). Cold steel sells some as well. I'd sure like to have one with a fully sharpened edge, and perhaps none of them done that way. In most cases the Hollywood hype of a mounted soldier sweeping off an arm or a head seems far fetched. I keep thinking, "He's going to have a hell of a bruise, but I doubt that one drop of blood will be shed."

I've always liked the look of the enlisted Marine ceremonial sword.

I once considered obtaining a rapier and "main gauche" from a place that sold antique reproductions. That was before I became so enamored with switchblades.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Welcome kaotikross!
Thorvelm

Waking up the sword forum returns D

Post by Thorvelm »

Thanks Cathey,
That is quite heavy for a one-handed sword compared to the Georgian swords I am more familiar with.
Cheers,
Bryce
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Welcome, post some pics if you can! Friendly place to hang out so enjoy yourself.
2024 candidate for president
Rey Zhourej

Post by Rey Zhourej »

Here's a couple a picked up at a garage sale several years ago.Looked pretty good to me;enough so that I paid $225.00 for the pair of them. I'm far from an expert on Japanese swords and have had a couple people look at them. One person said they look authentic to him but to be sure would have to disassemble them.As he lives about a thousand miles from me I haven't been able to do that as yet. Have had him validate other Japanese items before and he was on the money.
Another person looked at the pictures and pronounced them modern Chinese fakes.If in fact they are,the Chinese are extremely good at faking things.
Whatever the case I like them and they make great wall hangers. One has two small daggers concealed in the scabbard.
Attachments
IMG_4534.jpg
IMG_4534.jpg (90.98 KiB) Viewed 3811 times
IMG_4556.jpg
IMG_4556.jpg (96.24 KiB) Viewed 3811 times
IMG_4555.jpg
IMG_4555.jpg (105.84 KiB) Viewed 3811 times
IMG_4554.jpg
IMG_4554.jpg (103.44 KiB) Viewed 3811 times