European Vs Japanese

This board is dedicated to small and big blades related to daggers, swords, and similar items.

Moderators: Milu, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!

Who would win in a duel, a samurai or a knight

Samurai
60%
Knight
33%
Matched
3%
Other
3%

Total votes: 30

JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

stepdaddy wrote:Lets not forget a long time ago in a galaxy far far away when The jedi were the keepers of peace and used an elegant weapon from a more civilized time. I think the The Jedi and the Ninja are equal in their skills.
No back to the workshop to once again try to finish my OTF lightsaber.

Mr. SD,

How you finish if you no back to workshop? :lol:
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
stepdaddy

Post by stepdaddy »

Mr Jerrbear:

let me explain my workshop only has a front and two sides. Hence the saying No back to the workshop. If I had to build the back I'd never finish this Lightsaber!!!

SD
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

stepdaddy wrote:Mr Jerrbear:

let me explain my workshop only has a front and two sides. Hence the saying No back to the workshop. If I had to build the back I'd never finish this Lightsaber!!!

AH SO!

(Mos' clever dodge, you Lascal! :lol:).
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
catavengercaptain

Other

Post by catavengercaptain »

http://www.pattonhq.com/sword.html[/url ... /srfb.html (the explorer not the actor) agreed that the point was the most useful part of the sword and does the most damage. The method of fighting with the Katana seems to relie alot on slashing cuts.
I would also like to bring up something else am I the only one who is bothered by movies where the fighters wheel around and leave their back exposed to the enemy?
catavengercaptain

oops

]http://www.pattonhq.com/sword.html[/urlPatton hope that puts the"URL' in correctly.
anthony6869

Post by anthony6869 »

I would also like to bring up something else am I the only one who is bothered by movies where the fighters wheel around and leave their back exposed to the enemy?
While I think we're all bothered by it, I also think that you must admit that letting yourself be surrounded by multiple movie assailaints, both in front and behind as well as to both sides is by far the most effective way to battle evildoers! :lol: :lol:
Good things come to those with credit cards and a shipping address.
catavengercaptain

surrounded

And of course the enemies always seem to wait their turns to attack the hero. :roll:
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The cutting/slashing vs sticking/stabbing debate has been around for centuries. You can always read the memoirs of those who favored one over the other and failed to learn both methods of dealing with an oponent :idea: A cut on the hand is seldom fatal, a missing arm is seldom helpful :wink: A stab to the bone is annoying a stab through an organ is serious :!: If you don't want to lose you learn to choose :idea:
catavengercaptain

slashes

Well I would have to agree that I would not like anyone slashing at me with a machete (or anything else.) Having your arm chopped off could ruin your whole day. :P
stepdaddy

Post by stepdaddy »

I still say the Ninjas rule..........

SD
catavengercaptain

Ninjas

Seriously what was (or are) "Ninjas"?
Is there really such a thing or did Hollywood make them up? Sorry to be so dumb but one learns (hopefully,) by asking. :?:
stepdaddy

Post by stepdaddy »

Ninjas were assassins in feudal Japan. Although glorified by movies they were so to speak terrorist to the samurai. They trained with many clandestine style of weapons because weapons were seen as a threat.
Their sword skills weren't as honed as the Samurai but they didn't rely strictly on thier swordsmanship. The Ninja knowing their inferior swordsmanship to the Samurai would often use covert attacks, or would use weapons that gave them a little more space then the Samurai sword they might be facing.

SD
grabassticgreg

Post by grabassticgreg »

Hi, first post!
Actually, the "ninja" gathered information (spies) for their fuedal lords.
The stories of "magical weapons and powers" came from Hollywood via myths and fabrication. A ninja would be toast going up against a samauri in the open.
My reference is
"Ninja Training Manual", by Yukishiro Sanada, copyright 1986 Dragon Publishing Corp.
.....Of course, I'll probably be "de-bunked" :D :D :D
grabassticgreg

Post by grabassticgreg »

Patton (having a birthday one day before mine) having said"....(T)he point (tip) being the most "useful"part, had never seemingly checked on what the samurai had known for a LOOOOOONG time, that the "first THIRD of the blade" being the weapon used.....Geez, that was the "tip"!
Ancient Japan (Nippon) knew that this part of the blade did the damage.
Milu

Post by Milu »

My own bias would be for the knight, or more appropriate the European renaissance swordsman for all the reasons Vagrant has given.

The following scholarly article may be of interest:
http://www.thearma.org/essays/katanavs.htm
"se me burlé, me fico un cento e vinti in tel stomego"
Goldoni: La donna di Garbo, 1753