Stanley London 1860 cutlass

This board is dedicated to small and big blades related to daggers, swords, and similar items.

Moderators: Milu, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Plattso

Stanley London 1860 cutlass

Post by Plattso »

Hello, I'm new here, blah, blah.

Hey, anybody around here had experience or can review the worthiness of the Stanley London 1860 reproduction cutlass? Specifically, I'm going to practice parries and returns with a friend having at me with a wooden waster and stuff, using their unsharpened cutlass.
Then also, they say it's "tempered high-carbon" and I may sharpen it and try some cutting practice at some point.
Don't want blow $150 if they are not well-regarded in the blade community. You know the drill.

Thanks, feel free to talk at me; I may talk back.

-WCP
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I can't help but hopefully one of us can. The company itself might be able to define what uses the consider normal.
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

welcome to the form plattso - i can't help you with your Q, but there must be some sword experts around - i'll go check out back :lol:
Plattso

Post by Plattso »

Howdy Vagrant, MrBigg:

Yeah, I'm a small arms enthusiast. Amateur gunsmith-tinkerer and recently got a bit serious about swords and such. Added some saber drill to my normal calesthenic routine. Picked up a Cold Steel 1917 cutlass and am studying the historical literature. These ARMA people seem to have it together.
Guess what I've ordered? Go ahead, guess.
Nevermind, I'll tell you. It's a damascus Survival Golok from Valiant Co.
Should be in by late December. They look cool as heck and I had to treat myself. I deserve it.
I see somebody is a Canadian, and somebody else is a a skeleton.
Well, you won't find me being snobbish or prejudgmental just because somebody is from somewhere else or that somebody has no flesh.
I'm not that way. - Salute
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

well cheers to you sir!

i sure would like to see pics of the golok you ordered for yourself!

glad to have you here - before you know it you'll have a display case full of switches too :wink:
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

If it cuts or shoots I always want to see pics.
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Don't know if this is the one Plattso was talking about. Had seen them but never owned one.

http://www.oldjimbo.com/survival/valiant3.html
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

hmmm :shock: looks like a perfect EDC :lol:
Plattso

Post by Plattso »

Huh? Another Canadian. Oh, well. You won't find me acting all intolerant of those who have different ethnical or religious or genetic or national or sexual or political characteristics. They call me "Mr. Tolerant" or sometimes "Mr. Diversity" depending on what sort of mood "they" are in.
Say, what's an "EDC"?
Well, I went ahead and did what was recommended and emailed the Stanley London people and simply asked them if their cutlass was battle-ready, describing what I was palnning to do with it. I await their response.
That picture from the outdoors people is close to my upcoming Golok, but imagine it in damascus. At Valiantco.com under Java1 is a picture of it.
I don't get how to make a link to a picture here.
I've got to get me one of those digital cameras. I bet Vagrant would like to see my spiffed up Walther PPK.
OK, so my wrists are getting a bit stronger now. It's that dang number three cut with the hand in Quarte that feels very awkward, but I'm working on it. Slow stretching positions with the cutlass as if some Aikido guy were doing a koto-geishe on you.

Later, WCP
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

"I don't get how to make a link to a picture here. "
I cheated and borrowed a teenager.
EDC = every day carry
Love to see any gun, knife, car, bike, etc. pics
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

EDC = every day carry - but in your case i'd say every day chopper :D
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

again at the same time mr vagrant! :lol:
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Would counting the number of words tell us who types faster? [I'd hate to think ANYONE was slower then I am.
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

i'm impaired :wink:
Plattso

Post by Plattso »

Damn, you guys are up late. I had just figured out EDC, and was reposting with pride of accomplishment, and you ruined it.

Hey, I just looked at some of those SKM switchblades, holy spittle,
those are some fine looking items. Gosh-Dang I love damascus.
Don't know why, it's apparently not as hard as other steels, but those lines and swirly jobbers just make me tingle in the personal area.
If you punks get me into a whole nother spending lust, I am going to have to come over there and use some Wha Rang Do Jutsu on y'all.
I have a small benchmade bali, but I sure wouldn't try to pull it on anybody, for fear of dropping it like Barney Fife and looking like a soon-to-be-beaten-up idiot. I think a person needs to train with those things since
childhood.
Yeah, so there. Anyway, I'm talking about Swords and Daggers, not bali's. So Ha.
- WCP