A Stiletto ?

This board is dedicated to small and big blades related to daggers, swords, and similar items.

Moderators: Milu, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
bigfifty

A Stiletto ?

Post by bigfifty »

For those of you who saw the movie-- Hannibal. There is a scene where Anthony Hopkins is being followed by a picpocket. They have him dressed so well. Instantly reminds me of 'Medievel Times', Where you see woodcuts of a man in a low-slung hat and cape. Whereas we don't actually see the knife Hopkins uses to stab the man: they are in Italy, the home of the Stiletto and also what we enjoy today. So, did he use a Switchblade ? Or not ? I like to think it was a 11" Coricama or the like. But the movie leaves it to our imagination. What do you think was the weapon used ? Take care, Bigfifty.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

A true Stiletto [fixed blade] would be most authentic! But a Spyderco would be most Hollywood.
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

maybe it was one of those vendetta knives!? i haven't seen that movie yet...
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Gotta go with Al on this one. Nice avatar you old buzzard took you long enough. Get off that Atkins diet you look like skin and bones.If you dropped her you look to be to weak to right her :P In the book he buys some Harpys and a civilian at a gun show.
PB
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Thank Bonzo for the avatar, the "skin and bones look" is an ideal, actually I look a little more like the pillsbury dough boy.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Note that I'm on a "hardly-ableson" which goes well with the appearance.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Vagrant,

Yes, I was going to comment that the guy in your avatar appears to be a bit thinner than you and is not riding a Virago. Otherwise, great avatar.

Jim
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I love the avatar, just wish I was anywhere near that skinny. Thank Bonz for putting me on a Harley but it goes nicely with the image.
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

Nice avatar Mr. Vagrant...

Best wishes
Teddy
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Maybe we should do a "group post" thanking Bonzo for my avatar, everyone seems to like it [me too] and all I did was my usual "click here".
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Vagrant,

Your most welcome my friend. I copied that pic off another site and loaded it to my photo album. Basically, thats just a thumbnail. Here's the full size pic:

Best Regard's,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
bigfifty

Stilettos

Post by bigfifty »

Mr. Vagrant that is one fine piece of art work. A job well done Mr. Bonzo. Some things are worth waiting for, aren't they ? Take care, Bigfifty.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Should be wearing eye protection, but no helmut law here.
missaman

Post by missaman »

Vagrant wrote:Should be wearing eye protection, but no helmut law here.
Lucky guy thats why i sold my bikes years ago i HATE helmets :twisted:
BladeLover

Re: A Stiletto ?

Post by BladeLover »

bigfifty wrote:For those of you who saw the movie-- Hannibal. There is a scene where Anthony Hopkins is being followed by a picpocket. They have him dressed so well. Instantly reminds me of 'Medievel Times', Where you see woodcuts of a man in a low-slung hat and cape. Whereas we don't actually see the knife Hopkins uses to stab the man: they are in Italy, the home of the Stiletto and also what we enjoy today. So, did he use a Switchblade ? Or not ? I like to think it was a 11" Coricama or the like. But the movie leaves it to our imagination. What do you think was the weapon used ? Take care, Bigfifty.
In the book, Hannibal purchases two Spyderco knives at a cutlery shoppe in Italy and has them "make a bundle" (wrap them in paper and tie with string). Those knives were the Civilian and the Harpy. When he cuts the femoral artery of the pickpocket in the street, he uses the Harpy. When the disembowels the Italian policeman at the museum, he uses the Civilian, as I recall. I think an 11'' picklock would have been cooler, given the locale, but recall Hannibal was a physician and seemed to like scalpel-like knife blades. However, when he carved up his adversary in "Hannibal", the FBI detective, and in the "Silence of the Lambs" discussions about stabbing a guy in the heart, with the newbie agent, he used a fixed blade stilleto - looked like an antique.

Best Regards,
BladeLover
"Knife collecting - it's not an addiction....it's an adventure!"