Case Folding Bowie

This board is dedicated to small and big blades related to daggers, swords, and similar items.

Moderators: Milu, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
wazu013

Case Folding Bowie

Post by wazu013 »

Here is an old Case 551 folding hunter.
wazu013
Attachments
Case 551 005.JPG
Case 551 005.JPG (479.1 KiB) Viewed 16681 times
“The difference between involvement and commitment is like ham and eggs. The chicken is involved; the pig is committed.”
Chrisadamley

Re: Case Folding Bowie

Post by Chrisadamley »

Nice where did you pick that up from?
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

[quote="Chrisadamley"]Nice where did you pick that up from?[/quote

Thank you. I collect folding Bowies and once I saw one in my first Sargent's book I had to have one. Then I was lucky enough to find it on Ebay about 10 years ago. I have only seen 2 of them since and they were both in rough shape. This one is in nice condition and it came with the original sheath, which is interesting by itself. It is an amazing piece of Case Tested XX from when they made some really fine knives.
“The difference between involvement and commitment is like ham and eggs. The chicken is involved; the pig is committed.”
hanuman3

Post by hanuman3 »

Excellent find. I wouldn't mind adding one of those to my collection!
“CANNIBAL, n. A gastronome of the old school who preserves the simple tastes and adheres to the natural diet of the pre-pork period.”
- Ambrose Bierce
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

Here's a couple more pics to check out.
Last edited by wazu013 on Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Belmont800

Post by Belmont800 »

Very cool! An uncommon piece! :) :)
Belmont800
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Great knife. Cool indeed. 8)
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Ya gotta love that old golden stag,wow!

I have a couple friends that collect Case,one of them has over 2500 and I never seen anything like this in his collection. Very cool.
He has a stag handled case hatchet and several rare complete sets still in the wooden display cases like you would see in a hardware store and the storage compartment has two of each knife still in the box,two of these are from the 40's and he was offered 10 grand for one and he said no way.

All my tools,chainsaws,truck and knife collection isn't worth that :lol:
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

You can't beat the stag Case used before 1980. Here's 4 examples dating back from 1977 to 1940.
JimR

Post by JimR »

I am so glad I found this forum. I inherited this knife from my Dad, but never knew its background. I have always treasured it as a reminder of him, it lived in his tackle box before being passed on to me. As Dad was born in 1910 I figured it was old , but never really knew how old. I have taken it to Boy Scout camp in the 70's, on USMC field ops in the 80's , and gutted deer and cleaned fish with since then. About 5 years ago I realized I didn't want to take the chance on losing / damaging it ( the sheath is showing a lot of wear) and put it away in the gun safe. Thanks for the pictures and info, I plan to dig a little and try to get close to its date of manufacture. The tang is simply marked "Case" however the snap on the sheath says "Case tested XX" so it's time for some internet research.
daddyloko

Post by daddyloko »

Excellent knives. I remember when as a kid and teen,all the sporting goods stores use to carry them. They always had that great Stag and absolute zero blade wobble. They took a lot of hard work and abuse.
merKar

Post by merKar »

I am so glad I found this forum.
gclub royal