ghurka knifes?

This board is dedicated to small and big blades related to daggers, swords, and similar items.

Moderators: Milu, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
charlie manson

ghurka knifes?

Post by charlie manson »

these knives are my friends,he had got them from his gramps before he died.he has no idea when his gramps obtained them...his gramps was a gun nut as am i :D ,we are thinking he had got them at a gun or weaponry show long ago in his prime.who knows.but there is a large sheath holding a large ghurka blade,and two small knives one is sharp and one is not .it appears to have a flat edge unsharpened,id assume shivs .possibly?and one other ghurka style knife in sheath .all well taken care of just as the guns ,il post a few pics,may be get some info .just curious as to age and origin 8) only markings are on large sheath,and i havent a clue what it says
Attachments
medium size,has sheath
medium size,has sheath
IMG_0190.JPG (159.6 KiB) Viewed 6925 times
large maybe 16" in sheath with 2 other small
large maybe 16" in sheath with 2 other small
IMG_0194.JPG (157.76 KiB) Viewed 6926 times
large in hand,maybe nice horn
large in hand,maybe nice horn
IMG_0196.JPG (103.64 KiB) Viewed 6923 times
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Re: ghurka knifes?

Post by Vagrant »

8)
charlie manson

Post by charlie manson »

just was wondering the country of origin and what they were used for ....i see thhers quite the page on thes blades,il let nick read up on em 8)
catavengercaptain

Post by catavengercaptain »

If they are real Ghurka kukris they were made either in India or Nepal. The ones made in Nepal are worth more. The notch is a "blood nick;" the knife was not supposed to be drawn from the sheath with out drawing blood. If the knife wasn't used the Ghurka would cut himself on the nick. Speaking of drawing blood be careful with that shealth. Years ago a friend of mine wasn't paying attention that my kukri is a curved knife and he drew it strait out of the shealth cutting through the shealth he cut his hand badly.
When my father was stationed in India in WW 2 his B29 base was Guarded by Ghurka troops armed only with those knives. As for the values there have been so many made of the years for the tourist trade etc. you would really need an expert to examine yours.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The Kukris [various spellings] issued to the Ghurkas by the British Army were made in India but most Ghurkas obtained their own, always made in Nepal.
Usually the level of "fit and finish" is a clue, as to origin.
The "blood nick' is advertising hype [repeated in many sources] it actually represents the trident of Kali :idea:
http://www.exoticindiaart.com/product/RA03/
[Having Hindus in the family, at times is most helpful] :wink:
charlie manson

Post by charlie manson »

Wow thanks for the feedback,interesting.not my field....but a serious weapon.no joke. :twisted: i will check up on em soon,seems to be alot of them..i really do appreciate the feedback,it will really let my friend know abit about his dear ol gramps wicked blades :twisted: