Gurkha? Kukri? Sword?

This board is dedicated to small and big blades related to daggers, swords, and similar items.

Moderators: Milu, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Re: Gurkha? Kukri? Sword?

Post by Vagrant »

That, is logical :idea:
But, it is a poor sharpening steel - it MAY be slightly better then nothing :wink:
Shag

Post by Shag »

Vagrant wrote:That, is logical :idea:
But, it is a poor sharpening steel - it MAY be slightly better then nothing :wink:

Don't stab the messenger. :P

I am merely giving you the accurate, detailed info, not making a recommendation to use it to edge your straight razor. ;)

Granted, it is rudimentary, but if you're in the bush with a dull main knife, it's probably the best sharpening tool around. Coming into the 20th century, it became a custom to try and carry a small sharpening stone as well, as it would be quicker than the steel knife to get an edge. It was also used as a striker against the flint that they usually carried with them in the sheath, for starting fires.
Albert Einstein: “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.”
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

No "shoot the messenger" intentions at all, just a comment on the practicality :idea:
And yes it is [marginally] better than looking for a smooth, flat, rock :wink:
You saved me from the faux pas of grinding an edge on it :idea:
Shag

Post by Shag »

Vagrant wrote:No "shoot the messenger" intentions at all, just a comment on the practicality :idea:
And yes it is [marginally] better than looking for a smooth, flat, rock :wink:
You saved me from the faux pas of grinding an edge on it :idea:

I wasn't being serious, I know your comment was regarding how practical it would be to do this.
Interestingly, on the large ceremonial kukri sword which is used at the Nepalese buffalo beheadings, these "small knives" are about 11" long.

Grinding an edge on it, isn't a faux pas, that's an outright travesty! :P Unless it is a knife that is actually being used for work, camping or other practical uses; then it gets well away from the collector status of course.
Albert Einstein: “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.”