Powdered metal and sharpening krisses

Read-only area containing the discussions related to the (now defunct) SKM Knives web site and its products.

Moderators: arthas, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
General Septem

Powdered metal and sharpening krisses

Post by General Septem »

First off, I'll introduce myself. My name is John. Nice to meet you. :D

I saw a poll further down in this forum asking everyone's opinion of "newbie questions". I am personally a fan of them, because it's one less newbie question I have to ask. That said, here are two (OK five :lol: ) of my own.

What exactly does the "powdered metal Damascus" mean anyway? Is the effect a surface treatment? I.e., if you were to sharpen the blade, would the edge still retain the look?

On the subject of sharpening, is it possible to sharpen a kris, and how would you go about doing so?

Oh, quick question to wrap things up, are the kris and bayonet blades still available in Damascus steel? I sent an email to support but knowing they don't speak English well, I'm not 100% sure they understood the question. If so, how much (approximately) would they cost in US dollars with frostwood scales? Also, is frostwood real wood?

Thanks a lot :D
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Re: Powdered metal and sharpening krisses

Post by Vagrant »

General Septem wrote:First off, I'll introduce myself. My name is John. Nice to meet you. :D

I saw a poll further down in this forum asking everyone's opinion of "newbie questions". I am personally a fan of them, because it's one less newbie question I have to ask. That said, here are two (OK five :lol: ) of my own.

What exactly does the "powdered metal Damascus" mean anyway? Is the effect a surface treatment? I.e., if you were to sharpen the blade, would the edge still retain the look?

On the subject of sharpening, is it possible to sharpen a kris, and how would you go about doing so?

Oh, quick question to wrap things up, are the kris and bayonet blades still available in Damascus steel? I sent an email to support but knowing they don't speak English well, I'm not 100% sure they understood the question. If so, how much (approximately) would they cost in US dollars with frostwood scales? Also, is frostwood real wood?

Thanks a lot :D
In reverse order.
Frostwood is thin layers of real wood "pressure laminated" with a resin.
Prices ARE given on the site.
Their English [at SKM] is better than many Americans. [Frank's is improving]
Check the Site[s]
Can't sharpen them much [a diamond/ceramic rod is best]
Powdered Steel is a "high tech" process that goes all the way through, NOT a surface treatment
The edge of ALL Damascus is shiny and the pattern seldom shows at the edge.
General Septem

Re: Powdered metal and sharpening krisses

Post by General Septem »

Vagrant wrote:Prices ARE given on the site.
Not for the Damascus kris blades like shown in the picture. That's why I asked if they are still available.
Their English [at SKM] is better than many Americans. [Frank's is improving]
I hope my comment wasn't taken as an insult. I actually browsed the forum a bit and have heard that as an explanation given to a few people who'd had bad luck with their customer service. What happened was they'd replied to my email saying "unfortunately our Damascus blades our out of stock", but I don't know if they knew I was specifically referring to the krisses.

Thanks for the help. :)
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

If they say they're out of Damascus blades, it most likely means ALL types or they'd mention the ones they still have :idea:
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Looks like they still have the 9" Standard grind Damascus. They used to have all the 9" blade styles in Damascus, but not right now. Don't see any 11" Damascus blades of any kind. Used to have dagger and bayo, but never saw Kris.

I know I would be interested in both an 11" Damascus Kris and Standard Grind. Mr. Arthas?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

natcherly wrote:Looks like they still have the 9" Standard grind Damascus. They used to have all the 9" blade styles in Damascus, but not right now. Don't see any 11" Damascus blades of any kind. Used to have dagger and bayo, but never saw Kris.

I know I would be interested in both an 11" Damascus Kris and Standard Grind. Mr. Arthas?
I think since he asked about the powdered metal [stainless] Damascus he's talking about the other Beltrame :wink: The Damascus AB/SKM has is traditional Carbon Steel Damascus :idea: No sense starting a debate which I think is "better" but my Briarwood Damascus has withstood years of use/abuse. The blade has a little staining/rust spots. The Scales are almost black from all the dirt/grease/oil they've absorbed. The blade is a little loose when open but still sits deep when closed. When it gets dull, a few swipes on a "crock-stick" and it shaves 8) Needless to say it's a favorite :wink: I also have a Briarwood Damascus Kris it is mint and beautiful, never used and only "flicked" once or twice :idea:
General Septem

Post by General Septem »

Vagrant wrote:I think since he asked about the powdered metal [stainless] Damascus he's talking about the other Beltrame :wink: The Damascus AB/SKM has is traditional Carbon Steel Damascus :idea:
Oh, it is? It doesn't matter to me really, I'm not all that big into knives. I'm just considering something a little easier and a little less Boy Scout moniker than the pocketknife I'm currently carrying. ;)

The 9" Stilettos are what I'm talking about though, probably one of these or maybe a red one. The website says it's powdered metal, but that's in a different section.

What's Beltrame? Or is that someone's name? :?
General Septem

Post by General Septem »

Vagrant wrote:If they say they're out of Damascus blades, it most likely means ALL types or they'd mention the ones they still have :idea:
Well I figured they didn't have it, my question was will they ever have the kris back. ;)
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

General Septem

Post by General Septem »

Yeah, neither of them have it. If they were there I wouldn't be asking, but they're in the pictures and the help desk says they have it, so I thought I'd ask.
hogwild
Location: Proudly chasing the dollar to "share" with parasites

Post by hogwild »

Beltrame= last name of several family members who make knives. With at least 2 different companies best I can remember.
The worst evils which mankind has ever had to endure were inflicted by bad governments.
Ludwig von Mises
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Frank Beltrame
Armando Beltrame
Ausonia NaNutti Beltrame
and probably several others.
there are over 300 Beltrames in the Maniago phone-book :wink:
On my old computer I think I had 4 or 5 Beltrame Coltellerires, some were table cutlery and industrial tools. I doubt I found them all :wink: