New knives @SKM

Read-only area containing the discussions related to the (now defunct) SKM Knives web site and its products.

Moderators: arthas, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
arthas
Cutlery Town Warrior

New knives @SKM

Post by arthas »

Hello!

We're pleased to announce the availability of some new models at SKM web site. The first one is the Piranha 8"1/4 automatic knife, which is available in two colors and expands the New Age line.

Click here to see them all.

SKM is now also featuring the Tactical Leverletto by Bill DeShivs, in black anodized aluminium and in gray anodized aluminium:

We hope you'll enjoy the new models!

M.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Very nice, and the first one is a cool design, but I hope the pricing is a misprint :shock:
butch

Post by butch »

they look to be built solid.
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

whippersnapper wrote:I hope the pricing is a misprint :shock:
:shock: YIKES! :shock:
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
avicci

Post by avicci »

How in the world can these knives cost so much? I agree these look nice, but aluminum and ABS scales are cheap to manufacture - e.g. you can buy a solid built aluminum boker magnum for $25 retail. I own a couple Leverlettos and they are sweet, but to charge 2-3 times the price for almuminum scales?!? Come on! And it's not like they have ATS34 blades either - we're talking vanilla 440B here.

I love the fact that the Italians are coming out with new designs - they need to keep the line fresh and innovative. However, trying to recoup development costs by raising the price points to these levels doesn't necesarrily make good business sense as I just don't see a lot of takers lining up for this when there are so many high quality tactical knife alternatives available for much less.

Also, for the kind of prices these new knives cost I as a consumer would definately expect American CNC precision manufacturing quality and not the typical 'hand-made' 'cottage-industry' QC that has been coming from Italy lately. Don't get me wrong, I love my Italians and have spent big bucks on some of them. In general however they don't even come close to the manufacturing quality of American made knives (although most of them don't cost in that range either.) I mean, typically I have had to return my Italian knife purchases at a ratio of about 2-3 to 1 to end up with 'acceptable defect levels.' (Fortunately there are many reputable and understanding dealers on these forums!) This is definately rough manufacturing IMO but could be tolerated because of the lower price points and sexy appeal of the Italians.

Now however you could buy a nice Protech (or name your favorite brand) for what these new models are going for. Plus, tactical knives are meant to be used for the most part so I sure hope that these new high priced models are going to be built to much higher standards than previous Italian issues. It would really tick me off if I spent $180 on a knife and it arrived with a loose banana blade, tool marks and liner gaps! (Don't laugh, I've seen this on many of the supposedly high-end Damascus Italians as well as on lower end models). I know that we are comparing apples and oranges to some extent here, but the new age italian tacticles are directly competing with the high end market so IMO they need to be held to the same high standards. These are no longer romantic and nostalgic enigma products being offered here but rather 'real' knives that should stand up to the rigors of daily use.

For me, I think I'll wait for the forged stiletto project and see where that ends up pricing at...
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

avicci wrote: For me, I think I'll wait for the forged stiletto project and see where that ends up pricing at...
Mr. avicci,

I believe Mr. Arthas (or someone from AB/SKM) said they would be about $200 buck dollars...
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
arthas
Cutlery Town Warrior

Post by arthas »

Hello avicci!

The Piranha are entirely different from the usual "cottage-industry" Stilettos. They are of very high quality, and built with the latest precision manufacturing technologies.

So, yes, they're expensive, but you won't get all the defects you are mentioning, as these are not among the "hand-made" ones.

M.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

:D :D :D :!: :!:
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Avicci
The Leverletto uses 440C. The construction on the tactical models is very precise.
I have not seen the Pirhana, but I believe I know the man behind it, and he makes very high quality knives.
Perhaps you should handle these knives before demening them because of the price.
Bill
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
avicci

Post by avicci »

I believe Mr. Arthas (or someone from AB/SKM) said they would be about $200 buck dollars...
Ah yes, this was mentioned at the beginning of the forged thread...sounds like it will end up coming in at right around this price. This seems reasonable as the pics of the prototype look really nice.
The Piranha are entirely different from the usual "cottage-industry" Stilettos. They are of very high quality, and built with the latest precision manufacturing technologies.

So, yes, they're expensive, but you won't get all the defects you are mentioning, as these are not among the "hand-made" ones.
That is good to hear! In that case these products are then worth considering.

On a somewhat related note: if the facilities exist for the high quality manufacturing, are there any plans to start producing Stilettos to these standards? (I may just be answereing my own question, but it seems like the Forged Stiletto may actually be one of the first ones...?) I truely believe that if the Italian Stilettos were manufactured with a consistent high quality it would rejuvinate the market.
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

I have to say the Leverletto is right on top of my favorite blades and I think I have about 30 of them. I'm going to have to see what they are going to cost here in the states cause I sure wouldn't pay what they want on thier web page.
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

Holy crap!!! When I saw the prices ($116.00) I thought that was for the new tactical aluminum but I was shocked at the $170.00 price for them. I guess they think us americans are all rich. :D I remember in a phone conversation with Has one time, He said all Americans are rich in the eyes of most Europeans. Well I guess they really believe it.
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson
TOPFLITE

Post by TOPFLITE »

Well, DAMN!

It's good to know that somebody thinks I'm rich :lol:
Honest, Honey. I'm only going to buy one more...
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The price ? :shock:
BUT, ever have a customer pay $175.00 for a Hubertus and return the next Sunday with a broken spring :?: :?:
It takes a VERY understanding customer to say he still wants it but would like the spring replaced [and buy a couple hundred $ more knives ito "play with" while waiting for you to fix the Hubie]:idea:
I doubt these will be of equal quality to a Hubie [thank God] they may well be worth the $$ :idea:
Our Friends in Italy are showing an effort to seriously UPGRADE the product line. We have asked for that for years, did we really expect it would be CHEAP to do it :?:
Let's face it, no matter what you own, or prefer, when someone says Switchblade, the first thing that comes into your mind is ITALY 8)
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

I'm just talking about the Leverlettos. I don't have a bad one in my collection. In fact they are all well made, quality knives. I just can't see why the $120 to 130 increase just because it's called tactical and has a alumium scale.