New knives @SKM

Read-only area containing the discussions related to the (now defunct) SKM Knives web site and its products.

Moderators: arthas, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I was refering to the Piranha :wink:
Compare the price to a Protec or Hubie not an Oriental [no matter how good the Oriental is] and the price makes more sense :idea:
ABS IS a not the best choice for scales [Micarta or wood would have been better] :( but they look easy to replace so I expect to see a "before and after" pic very soon after the 1st one[s] are purchased :idea:
drfish

Post by drfish »

Ummmm yeah.

Is there an extra '1' at the beginning of those prices?

The Piranhas:
For a ABS scales and 440B steel? Are you kidding? Compare with Protec?

As for the leverletto:

At those prices, the handles better be machined, not cast aluminum (and they look cast too me).
"paranoid scofflaw addicts"
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

They are machined.
Bill
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

IMO the [new] Leverletto IS priced too high but it is an excellent knife design :wink:
The Piranha seems to be a serious attempt to give use a better knife, and more variety :idea:
Let's face it the best bang for the buck is the Magnum/Kalashnikov line BUT how much would they cost if they were made in the European Union :?: :?: Specifically, how much would they cost if they were made in Solingen :?: How much do you think the Germans would charge for the Piranha if it was made in Solingen :?:
We've bitched about 420 steel for years but guess what Hubertus uses ? Even if 440B ain't great, it IS an improvement :idea:
My suggestion would be a carbon-steel option :idea: Carbon-steel is much cheaper [and better than stainless :wink: ]. With proper equipment it's easier to grind/forge [lowering prodution costs].
Check any knife supply source and compare the price of a bar of O-1 to 154CM :roll:
Let's give our Friends in Italy some credit for adding variety :idea: