SKM Stiletto: does it wear out?

Read-only area containing the discussions related to the (now defunct) SKM Knives web site and its products.

Moderators: arthas, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
frankumz

SKM Stiletto: does it wear out?

Post by frankumz »

I just got my 9" Honey Horn(first knife), from Tinys (who freakin rules), and now I am wondering:
How much should I worry about the spring wearing out? Is it better to store it open to preserve the spring?
How long does the spring last? Should I stop thinking about all of this?

I am kind of a freak about stuff like this, obviously.

Thanks for any info, Ive been looking at these forums for a bit and have found TONS of great info, Couldn't seem to find anything to ease my worries about this though.
jim d,

Re: SKM Stiletto: does it wear out?

Post by jim d, »

In theory, storing the knife with the blade closed shouldn't affect the spring, but nearly all collectors store in the open position. The spring won't "wear out"

Jim
sammy da blade

Post by sammy da blade »

like anything else, if you play with it eventualy it will wear out.
thuggin -N- buggin, that's how i roll!
butch

Post by butch »

thats true but it cane take years before that actually happens some wear out faster than others and of course theres always the chance of a spring breaking before it actually wares out.
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

Maybe a marathon knife flicking study should be conducted. Ever see the way they test matresses, car doors, etc.? All we need is a machine that will snap a knife open, close it, count the number of flicks, and then sound a loud alarm when something breaks.

Or, get somebody with so little to do, they would volunteer to see how many times it takes to break the average knife. The Breaking a Spring thread could be kept in reserve in case Imitation Horn runs out of pages.

The only times I've broken a spring were (once) on a really cheap stiletto, and (once) when I did a half assed job of heat treating a spring. My best guess; if you've got a reasonably good spring, then something else will wear out first.

Tom
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

A properly made and tempered spring will outlast it's owner and whoever inherits it from him :idea:
Failure is always due to mistakes in manufacture or later modifications/mis-use [like bending to make it "better"] :roll:
PhiladelphiaPhunk

Post by PhiladelphiaPhunk »

Mine SKM is 11 years old and the spring still snaps like new after thousands of neurotic openings.
leighdog

Post by leighdog »

These days there are so many more important things in life to worry about than a knife breaking.Dont mistreat it by throwing it in trees or dropping it on hard surfaces and keep it oiled and free from dirt and debris.If its going to break its going to break and there isnt anything you can do to stop it.Dont dwell on something so minimal in life.You can always buy another if it happens to break which is most likely not going to happen.Life is short,dont waste a second of it thinking about something like this.-----Peace"""
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

This one is only 6 months olde - Guess that beats 2-1/2 years... :P
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

This from somebody who can't sleep at night cuz he is always worried about his blades being off center... :lol:
leighdog

Post by leighdog »

I dont recall losing sleep if your talking about me""Everyone has to throw things in my face about anything i say.Sure i get angry about shitty quality coming out from italy lately.Everything i say has to be thrown in my face about something i say.i have had it with this site and wont bother posting anything again.Please mods take me off the members list.Im through with this place.Bunch of backstabbing find something wrong with anything i say just to start trouble.F##k off"""
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Relax, I just thought your advise was rather amusing considering some of your posts worrying about everything you worry about. :lol: If you can't take a little constructive ribbing and kidding, I guess you can walk away.
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

leighdog wrote:These days there are so many more important things in life to worry about than a knife breaking.

Dont dwell on something so minimal in life.

Life is short,dont waste a second of it thinking about something like this.
What do you expect when you write stuff like this after all the whining you have done over minor imperfections?
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
Forrestanfo

Post by Forrestanfo »

The springs, will NOT lose their "memory"
jmack1944

Post by jmack1944 »

leighdog wrote:I dont recall losing sleep if your talking about me""Everyone has to throw things in my face about anything i say.Sure i get angry about shitty quality coming out from italy lately.Everything i say has to be thrown in my face about something i say.i have had it with this site and wont bother posting anything again.Please mods take me off the members list.Im through with this place.Bunch of backstabbing find something wrong with anything i say just to start trouble.F##k off"""
I know how you feel Leighdog. Most are really nice guys here but a few a-holes always show their malformed heads on every forum. Just watch. I know the "usual suspects" will jump on this post.