received s/b ... got ?'s

Read-only area containing the discussions related to the (now defunct) SKM Knives web site and its products.

Moderators: arthas, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
spinner01

received s/b ... got ?'s

Post by spinner01 »

Hello,

I'm new to knives ... let's leave it at that. I just received my 1st stilleto from SKM. It is an 11" stilleto, kris blade, with black acrylic scales. I'm very happy with SKM ... great service, shipping, etc. Here's my questions:

1st - the safety, when slid down (off) scratched the scale the very first time right out of the box/shipping package. The scratch is on one side (the backbone side) and is very noticable. I spent quite a bit of time looking at pictures of knives on this site/formum as well as others and have never seen this. Is this considered acceptable?

2nd - Unlocking the blade to close from the bolster (I think that is the correct part name ... keep in mind I'm a noobie!) is very difficult. The blade locks up tight ... not much play ... and for that I am very happy. But unlocking it to close the knife is a B*TCH! Is this normal/acceptable for a brand new switchblade, and does it just need some break-in time?

Thanks in advance for your help! :lol: Other than that ... I love it. Always wanted one ... now it already seems lonely and needs more friends. I guess I'm hooked!
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Re: received s/b ... got ?'s

Post by natcherly »

I can't help with the scratch issue, it is really up to you how bad you take it to be and what you feel about sending it back. There are some things you can do such as lightly sanding the scale, but other can no doubt come up with suggestions...

As to the closing issue, check out the thread "Good ones list and F.A.Q." under Switchblade Knives. That should help.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Depending on the scale (handle) material you got, you may be able to sand and buff the scratch out. Use some super fine grit sand paper.

Like Natcherly said, check out this thread... http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1733 to make sure your not trying to open it like a pick lock.

BTW- Welcome aboard!
spinner01

Post by spinner01 »

You guys are great. I was trying to close it like a pick. Now that I'm closing it correctly it works slick. Thanks! I told you I'm a noobie :!:

The scale material is black acrylic ... can this be sanded? If so, what grit 220 wet sand? I'd attach a picture, but I haven't figured how to do that yet. (I'm sure it's as easily as learning how to close the knife properly!)

Thanks again, Spin
spinner01

Post by spinner01 »

I think I figured it out. Here is the picture. I hope this worked!
Attachments
Pictures 027.JPG
Pictures 027.JPG (439.96 KiB) Viewed 18082 times
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I haven't had much experience sanding the acrylic so don't do it without hearing from someone else, especially with 220 grit. When I was talking fine sand paper I meant something like 1200 or finer.

You might get the best advice if you post this question in "Deforum with Bill DeShivs", just in case he doesn't see your question here.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Gort

Post by Gort »

You might just want to try polising compound and a dremmel with a small buffer wheel
on acrylic. Be careful not to melt the acrylic.
-Gort