Am I making a mistake?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Bobk

Am I making a mistake?

Post by Bobk »

Hi y'all. A little more hlp please. I was fully ready to drop down some serious money this week and buy an Excalibur. From everything I read here it seem like a great knife, held in high regard here. Not saying that y'all think it is the best, because I know you don't, but it is still considered a well made knife here.

Now today, I stumble across another forum (knifeforums) and there, to summarize many thoughts, it is a undersize toy that rattles too much, has too much blade play, has a terrible fake looking blade finish, is way overpriced for the quality, made by a company that does not make good quality knives.

So, before I spend all this money, where do you think the truth lies? how can 2 different "communities" have 2 totally different opinions about the same knife (and same knife maker)?

Thanks in advance for any input here.

Bob
cam

Post by cam »

where do you think the truth lies?
The truth lies within you. If you get the knife and you like it then that's all that matters.
how can 2 different "communities" have 2 totally different opinions about the same knife
Some of the folks over on BF have an elitist mentality. If it doesn't say "Benchmade" or "Microtech" it must suck, right? I don't' think so- the Excalibur has, in my opinion, the best action of any of the current OTF knives on the market. There will be some blade rattle (all OTF knives with the possible exception of some Sand Shark knives have this quirk) but anyone who announces that it's unusable had probably never tried one.

I've sold over a hundred of the Piranha Excalibur knives in my time and I've gotten none back. Ever. That says something.

The finish it top notch, but some people don't like the piranha biting the Excalibur sword on the front. That's the only complaint I've ever gotten from anyone who has actually used one.

-Cam
Last edited by cam on Tue May 29, 2007 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Radius

Post by Radius »

cam wrote:
where do you think the truth lies?
The truth lies within you. If you get the knife and you like it that's all that matters.
Cam, I could not agree more. In the end the only opinion that matters is your own. As far as a difference in opinion, I am afraid that is just human nature. There is no magical knife that pleases all of the masses. If you are unsure, hold off until you are ready. I'm sure you will find the right one when the time comes. :D Best of luck to you in your search..
tyler_rabbit

Post by tyler_rabbit »

I know you're talking about the Excaliber, but I recently got a Piranha Shadow and was so impressed, I picked up 5 more in various colors for friends and associates.. Very well made product.... In general, I like Pro-Tech minis better, but I noticed the Shadow has the same steel as the Pro-Techs and a number of cool features such as the price, the edge goes all the way to the guard, and the button is designed and located in such a way as to hinder accidental deployment..

One thing that's odd: is they don't seem to have much of an online presence, or any presence for that matter. Packaging I received from BladeHQ was basically a small plastic bag, no logo, no contact info.. I'd imagine any warranty would need to be taken care of through the reseller..

Cam, it sounds like maybe you're a reseller, have you bought from and dealt directly with them? Do they have a site?
---
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

ahhhhh...rabbit cam=blade hq

tryker
butch

Post by butch »

yep,thats the Cam he's taliking aboutm he's a straight shooter if a knife" is" a clunker he'll tell you so wether he sell's them or not.
tyler_rabbit

Post by tyler_rabbit »

TRYKER wrote:ahhhhh...rabbit cam=blade hq

tryker

Oh! Cam, you have great prices.

Talkblade is awesome, everyone's here.
cam

Post by cam »

Cam, it sounds like maybe you're a reseller, have you bought from and dealt directly with them? Do they have a site?
Yes indeed, I deal directly with them. The actually have very good warranty service. They don't have a website but I put a filler page up at http://www.piranhaknife.com with warranty info at the bottom. I've been trying to get them to do a website for years with no luck. This is not Piranha's website- it is owned and hosted by us. It's a little confusing right now since it's just a giant graphic, but we'll make it more user friendly in the future.

-Cam
Radius

Post by Radius »

Mr. T_R
While you are at BladeHQ, go ahead and pick up a couple of the Tomb Raider Kits as well. I heard that Mr. Butch seems to love them so much that I ordered 2. :D
8 LEGGED FREAK

Post by 8 LEGGED FREAK »

I've never had a misfire with my Piranha Excalibur! It is truly one of my all time favorite DA OTF knives!!

I have sold quite a few in my time as well, and never had one come back!! Everyone that has handled one is in love!!

Go for it, I think you will like it!! 8) :D
SPYDERMAN HAS LEFT THE BUILDING.
8 LEGGED FREAK

Post by 8 LEGGED FREAK »

Here is a great thread you may be interested in over on JD forums:

http://www.jerzeedevil.com/forums/showt ... hp?t=22736
SPYDERMAN HAS LEFT THE BUILDING.
tyler_rabbit

Post by tyler_rabbit »

Radius wrote:Mr. T_R
While you are at BladeHQ, go ahead and pick up a couple of the Tomb Raider Kits as well. I heard that Mr. Butch seems to love them so much that I ordered 2. :D
You mean the one with the clock, thermometer, and GPS in the handle?