Pocket switchblade

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Wally J. Corpse
Level Zero: True Jerk

Post by Wally J. Corpse »

Greetings, Mr. Arthas-

Do not be mislead by the cast of characters herein! A swedge is whatcha' get whence your pals, neighbors, or the general public robustly lifts most of your body weight upwards by the waistband of yer underpants. Very popular in France, where they have a lil' theme song to accompany the event- 'I've seen London, I've seen France'... Also that is why the French always shout - 'Wee, wee, wee!.

Always here to help your syntax-

AS ever,

Your ol' pal,

Wally J. Corpse

P.S. Howabout a Doofus Emeritus commemorative auto custom, say with a shiny one inch blunted blade?
krakenten

Post by krakenten »

There are some fine ganzmetal knives in your museum, especially those fine Bonsa and Wingen knives.
It's probably too expensive, but those old engine turned knives had a crisp elegance, a stark, mechanical beauty that I miss.
Last vestige is the Taiwan gravity knife, and I doubt we'll see any more of those again.
Your site brought back many memories, thank you!
Life has no value, Death has a price
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Bill DeShivs wrote:Krakenten
That has already been done. It's called the Leveretto and the prototype is shown on my web site.
Your "Leverauto" prototype!

OAL: either 5" or a larger 7" (pereferably 5".) This is for the sake of easy carry.

I saved the image to my computer! Would you please make it with a 440C, ATS-34, or an option of a D2 (air-hardened tool steel)

440C : MSRP, $65.00

ATS-34: MSRP, $110.00

D2: MSRP: 145.00

That would be THE definitive "working" Italian auto!

P.S. It should have a "full-bellied" clip point blade. and and deactivator for the auto. That, and a nail nick (when its used as a non-auto.)

That should do it!

Scott
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Scott
Look on the SKM site at the "Tactical Leverletto."
I am NOT attempting to hijack this thread. I just wanted to point out that several of these ideas have already been spoken for.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

IF we are talking a [somewhat] Stiletto style, the clip point used on the manual ones is a good design :wink: Guards have to go, they have no purpose [or usefulness] on a "pocket knife" :wink: The manual/auto option is a GREAT idea 8) IF it could be designed to work by means of a 3 position safety [off/on/manual] that would be awesome :!:
This can be VERY undesirable :roll: so NO guards PLEASE !!
Simeon

Post by Simeon »

Vagrant wrote: This can be VERY undesirable :roll: so NO guards PLEASE !!
Agreed!

And it must be just me, but I don't care for the rear bolsters either...
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I will add my thoughts, although I can not be too specific.
Any button knife will require a safety. Releasing a safety and pushing a button requires 2 separate actions.
Lever locks are as simple as the modern plunge lock, and considerably stronger. They require no safety.
Properly designed sliding button autos (flylock type) require no safety.
Aluminum handles are nice. Different handle scales could be offered, and if attached with screws-handles could be interchangeable.
A pocket clip option would be nice.
Small size is good. 7-10 CM closed.
Good steel. AUS 8 is a very good steel for a work knife.
Screw construction is a must, for various reasons.
That's my input (without a commission, anyway!)
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
grj65

Post by grj65 »

Vagrant wrote: The manual/auto option is a GREAT idea 8) IF it could be designed to work by means of a 3 position safety [off/on/manual] that would be awesome :!:
This can be VERY undesirable :roll: so NO guards PLEASE !!
...with the auto on/off option similar to the "Tactical Leverletto" :?:

Cheers
krakenten

Post by krakenten »

I consulted a few references last night(including the Necronomicon and How to Make Friends and Influence People), and thought deeply.
When I woke up from thinking deeply, I spent a little time imagining what such a knife might be like.
And it hit me that it might not need scales at all.
The Cold Steel catalogue has a milled finish grip on their Jacob's Ladder knife, so it can still be done(though I understand that the knife is less than satisfactory, never saw one, don't know).
So, why not the Leverauto with no scales at all, just thick steel sides, nicely milled and polished, the knife assembled with some sort of fillister head screws.
No scales to break or loosen, no liners to have gaps, a little Loc-Tite to keep it snug, and Bob's your Uncle.
(wottabouta triple action knife? Opens automaticly, opens with a flick of the wrist or opens manually, nice and slow so as not to alarm timid folk?)
Life has no value, Death has a price
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Bill DeShivs wrote:I will add my thoughts, although I can not be too specific.
Any button knife will require a safety. Releasing a safety and pushing a button requires 2 separate actions.
Those of us who are correct handed use the middle finger for the safety and index finger for the button :idea: [very fast] But, I sometimes forget about the funny handed people :lol:
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Krakenten
I don't design knives for SKM!The Leverletto, Leverauto, and Leveretto were designed for another company.
Fishtail Picklock

Dear Bill: If you would consider putting a hunting clip-style blade (a-la SKM's lever hunter on a Sigfried-style handle.) The knife would sell as a pocket auto by the barrel!

The only other alteration that I would ask you to make, is that the steel compsition of the blade be a bit harder. (AUS-8 or forged 440C. The latter is what Buck uses in their 110 Folding Hunter.) This would provide the knife with a "non-threatening" profile, and ensure its utility. :idea:

Back to the "good old days."

Scott
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

PLEASE DO NOT DISCUSS MY DESIGNS ON THIS THREAD!
I design for a different company than our host.
Dick Carroll

Post by Dick Carroll »

Vagrant wrote:
Bill DeShivs wrote:I will add my thoughts, although I can not be too specific.
Those of us who are correct handed use the middle finger for the safety and index finger for the button :idea: [very fast] But, I sometimes forget about the funny handed people :lol:
LMAO :lol: ....them "funny handed" people do have some strange ideas huh AL....

Bill, What about flush buttons? Hey, I like levers too, but flush buttons done right, don't get fired accidently too easily either. The slide safety is a problem area IMO.
All who enter here bring happiness, some by staying, some by leaving...
Fishtail Picklock

Ooops! I am indeed, sorry.

No impropriety intended, good sir. You have my most humble of apologies. Please forgive me.

Scott