Pocket switchblade

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The old "Slat Bolster" is another good choice but, if we some clue what the handle might look like it would be easier to choose a blade :idea: Image
tyler_rabbit

Post by tyler_rabbit »

I agree w/ Vagrant regarding spear-points and long clips.. They're aesthetic yet useful..

What would you call this, a fat n stubby dagger?

It's very useful because it's pointy enough for finer precise-like cutting or poking yet fat enough to accommodate a nice grind height and works as a good general purpose blade..

Yeah I guess we really need to see the handle.. suspense..

Hey this is nice.. Looks a lot like Mr. Jerr's recent EDC acquisition..
Fishtail Picklock

Make this knife flatter, with an overall length of 4 1/2&

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Vagrant wrote:The old "Slat Bolster" is another good choice but, if we some clue what the handle might look like it would be easier to choose a blade :idea: Image
Make this knife flatter, with an overall length of 4 1/2", with a clip point, with an ATS-34 steel blade and back spring, (as well as kick spring) in a picklock! BTW, put some flat, thin Dark Horn scales on it, (a-la- Bill Deshiv's Leverletto!) I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

I'd be willing to bet that a multitude of worldwide automatic knife buyers would do so too! 8) At that point, price would be an afterthought! A working Italian pocket auto, (as they were made during the 1950's.)

That's a knife-lovers' dream!

Scott
Last edited by Fishtail Picklock on Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Carbon steel is always better for a spring :idea:
IF we knew what the knife would look like, choosing a blade style would be easier :wink:
Choose the size 8)
Fishtail Picklock

Vagrant wrote:Carbon steel is always better for a spring :idea:
IF we knew what the knife would look like, choosing a blade style would be easier :wink:
Choose the size 8)

You're RIGHT! The Carbon Steel spring is the best! (I want a damn strong kick spring, so that blade deployment is LIGHTNING fast!) The retaining pin (holding the blade in the closed position) needs to be stout, and wrought from titanium, so that it will last indefinitely! The washers for the blade's pivot point (hinge) must be oil-impregnated for smooth, flawless opening! If the knife isn't a "Fishtail", it should be shaped either like the Leverletto, or a coffin-shaped frame! It MUST, however, be a picklock with a STRONG locking mechanism for HARD use. This IS, after all, a personal WORKING/CARRY knife!

(BTW, the smallest one will do the job. If it retains an edge, It'll do, Brother. It'll do!) :wink: :)

Scott
Last edited by Fishtail Picklock on Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dick Carroll

Post by Dick Carroll »

Don't think you really want a sear that hard. The blade would suffer. I'd rather wear out a sear than a blade any day....
All who enter here bring happiness, some by staying, some by leaving...
Fishtail Picklock

Dick Carroll wrote:Don't think you really want a sear that hard. The blade would suffer. I'd rather wear out a sear than a blade any day....
Dick: I'm not that worried about the blade. Either a D2, or ATS-34 are going to last a LIFETIME! The sear would be more difficult to replace, wouldn't it?

Scott
Dick Carroll

Post by Dick Carroll »

Either one would be easy to replace. The cost of a blade or blade repair would probably be more than a sear. But if you want to get technical. The sear would cost time. Remove bottom pin, remove scale pins, remove sear pin, plus cost of sear and pins, then reverse, place sear pin, place scale pins, and place bottom pin versus removing the pivot and replacing the blade.....(sounds kinda easy typed out)
And ya know what they say, TIME IS MONEY!!!

matched carbon steel parts would last past me, :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dick Carroll

Post by Dick Carroll »

if it winds up being something small and different, then you may be looking at coil springs and plunge buttons, and all screws, Any part could be replaced with the knife totally stripped, part placed, and reassembled in less than a minute ....definately a no sale for me. The longest lasting match on a contact surface would be metals of the same properties in my opinion. which matters little
Fishtail Picklock

Dick Carroll wrote:Either one would be easy to replace. The cost of a blade or blade repair would probably be more than a sear. But if you want to get technical. The sear would cost time. Remove bottom pin, remove scale pins, remove sear pin, plus cost of sear and pins, then reverse, place sear pin, place scale pins, and place bottom pin versus removing the pivot and replacing the blade.....(sounds kinda easy typed out)
And ya know what they say, TIME IS MONEY!!!

matched carbon steel parts would last past me, :lol: :lol: :lol:
Perhaps, but I would like something that demonstrates the advances of technology and craftsmanship, accompanied by the Italian "spirit." I find that concept quite exciting!

It could be that I'm looking for a "scaled-down" Due Bois for pocket carry.

Scott
Fishtail Picklock

"The one BIG advantage the old picklocks had was a carbon steel blade
STRONG beats shiny every time in my book
IF the BO/C in the picture had a carbon steel blade, I'd knock the guards off and make it my EDC 90% of the time." - Vagrant.

A strong, SHARP, and durable auto... What a concept! D'ya think?!

Let's go back to the old methods (with modern materials, of course) and really put a lively spark in the knives of the 21st century! Agreed?

Let me reiterate (or alter) the proposal without the Picklock mechanism. go with a tab locking with a button open/close system, Massaro-body confiuration and an ATS-34 clip blade. The knife's OAL (open should be no more than 5". This could prove a "life long" companion! (With dark horn scales, of course!) :)

Scott
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

It's like deja vu all over again!
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
krakenten

Post by krakenten »

Just make a top bolster for the Leveretto with no bowtie, maybe just a single guard bolster, like the old German K55K knife, and you'd have about the perfect all round carry knife.
Life has no value, Death has a price
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Krakenten
That has already been done. It's called the Leveretto and the prototype is shown on my web site.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
krakenten

Post by krakenten »

Looks good!
Now, to pick some scale material, or, perhaps, natural aluminum in a the old ganzmetal style?
That would be a knife for the ages, something you could pass down a generation or two, as an occasional polishing would make it look near new.
Just an idea!
Life has no value, Death has a price