SO WHAT GOT YOU STARTED ?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
missaman

SO WHAT GOT YOU STARTED ?

Post by missaman »

SO WHAT GOT YOU STARTED ? FOR ME IT WAS THE SCENE OF THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN WITH JAMES COBURN IF YOU DON'T KNOW THE SCENE YOUR TO YOUNG TO PLAY WITH KNIVES. GOT MY FIRST IN JHS AN OLD IPERIAL TOOTHPICK. NEVER LOOKED BACK........... 8)
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Misa Man when you write in all capitails it means your yelling. Don't worry we can hear you when you type normal. I got interested the year after they were made illegal, then from then on they became like the Holy Grail for me. Hell the Magnificent Seven wasn't till what 66-67 maybe your to young to be playing with knves LOL.
PB
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

Movies like "the Outsiders" started it the fascination. However, discovering about 2-3 yrs back that you could obtain these elusive treasures over the internet and have them delivered to your front door started the addiction. Furthermore, discovering this group of gents who have this place to share their knowledge and put some form of order to collecting switches turned me into a junkie.....so I guess SKM started it. :wink:
Landsurveyor

Post by Landsurveyor »

I got started by (stupidly) bringing three speedlock clones back from Mexico, last year. I put them in the zippered pouch of my suitcase so that if they were found I wouldn't look like I was being sneaky. Flying into the U.S.A. post 9/11 probably wasn't the best time to smuggle weapons on a plane, but I thought that I wouldn't get another chance to own an switch for a long time, so I went for it. For the record it was in my checked luggage, not carry on. I didn't get caught, but if I had I would have gone to L.A. county jail on felony weapons charges. In hindsight I wouldn't do it again. However, it did get me started on my switch addiction. I was playing around on the internet, not long after that, when I decided to do a Google search on the word switchblade. Holy crap did I hit the jackpot!!!
Long story short, I now have an MOD Mark II as my EDC and a small glass case of other toys to play with. :D
I supported the war, and I was right!
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

Landsurveyor,

You are fortunate that the Federal agents who let arab terrorists, "undocumented workers", and Columbian drugs across our borders, didn't string you up by your thumbs at the airport. Three knives! You're a threat to Western Civilization! :wink:

The Falcon
I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."
badboris

Re: SO WHAT GOT YOU STARTED ?

Post by badboris »

last november i went to have 2 kitchen knives sharpen and was so disapointed by the result that i decided i could do better so i bought a stone and then went online to see if i could find something on the subject
then i fell right in the trap and decided that sharpening and knifemaking would be a nice hobby

badboris
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Mr. Falcon,

You just stated my thoughts much better than I could have.

Jim
Gort

Post by Gort »

A French girl in Paris,
missaman wrote:SO WHAT GOT YOU STARTED ? FOR ME IT WAS THE SCENE OF THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN WITH JAMES COBURN IF YOU DON'T KNOW THE SCENE YOUR TO YOUNG TO PLAY WITH KNIVES. GOT MY FIRST IN JHS AN OLD IPERIAL TOOTHPICK. NEVER LOOKED BACK........... 8)
-Gort
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

Gort,

As Paul Harvey would say, "And now for the rest of the story."

We're waiting. :D

The Falcon
I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

For me, it was the films "Rebel without a cause" and "12 angry men". I've had one or two since the early days, but when I hooked up to the "net" and visited a couple of the Italian sites....I was as good as addicted...."the point of no return" as they say.

Mr. Gort,

A girl in France got you started with switchblades?? ... please elaborate....

Best wishes
Teddy
sammy da blade

Post by sammy da blade »

iv'e always liked guns and knives! having autos are just fun, things that are hard to get, only if you don't know where to look! i have a few coil fired knives but i collect stilettos, my favorites.
thuggin -N- buggin, that's how i roll!
beartrap

Post by beartrap »

Several things got me hooked. My Dad had a stiletto when I was a boy that I snuck to play with all the time. Even after I cut myself with it, I still couldn't put it down. Then the movies didn't help, you know, Dirty Harry, West Side Story, The Outsiders, ect... Then in 1980 when I was in the Navy aboard the U.S.S. Saratoga on a Med. cruse, we stopped in Naples Itaily. This is were I went to a sporting goods shop and purchised my first 9" stilleto. Smuggled it back in my tooth paste tube with the bottom end rolled up alittle like it was being used, and had the knife wrapped in plastic wrap. I still have it. :wink:
Stay sharp and you'll always have the edge!!!
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

i think the cub/boy scouts got me started on the love of knives, then later with switches it was movies like west side story - the only musical i ever liked!

as we all know there is no way to stop once started! :D
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

missaman wrote:SO WHAT GOT YOU STARTED ? FOR ME IT WAS THE SCENE OF THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN WITH JAMES COBURN IF YOU DON'T KNOW THE SCENE YOUR TO YOUNG TO PLAY WITH KNIVES. GOT MY FIRST IN JHS AN OLD IPERIAL TOOTHPICK. NEVER LOOKED BACK........... 8)
Mr. Missaman,

Same movie. Couldn't shake it from my mind. Found a Rizzuto at a rummage sale and tried that Coburn move on the post over and over. These knives are not made for throwing, but try telling that to an 8 year old kid.

Best Regard's,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Mr Bonz
I keep meaning to ask you to promise you will tell me when you find that elusive buzz your searching for. Maybe if you switch to Mescal your sons disposition would improve cause I laughed my ass off reading that note.
PB