Italian Stiletto knife question

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Charles_M

Italian Stiletto knife question

Post by Charles_M »

I am new to the board and I have very VERY little knowledge of the Italian Stiletto Knives and am hoping that you guys could help me. I am interested it purchasing an Italian Stiletto but there are so many different kinds I have no idea what to get, much less what I am looking at. I know that you can say its cliche, but I want the style that they use in the movie's. I just want one that is automatic with a Kris style blade. So any information on the different types and styles of the Stiletto's is very much appreciated and I am open to suggestions on what to get.
fulci lives

Post by fulci lives »

Welcome Charles :!:

Check out the links here

http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php?t=1733

Theese guys have all sorts of quality stilettos

Some good makers are AKC, Frank Beltrame and Armando Beltrame.
Stu has some nice Italian stilettos for $31. Hes on the good ones list. :)
Fight war not wars!
Grim

Post by Grim »

heres the lowdown charles the italian stiletto is a elegent and historical knife used in many classic movie such as rebel without a cause,west side story,the outsiders,the warriors etc etc. in my opinion id go with a frank beltrame stiletto.heres the pros of each blade style
bayonet-original classic design
Dagger-best poker stabber
Flatgrind-Easiest to put an edge on most usefull
kriss-serpentine look most fancy looking
Vagrant i quoted you from a previous topic about blade styles hope you dont mind.all and all you cant go wrong with a stiletto in my opinion
ps welcome to the forum
RAZOR SHARP

use?

Post by RAZOR SHARP »

Charles,

Welcome to the forum!! :D You might want to ask yourself the question how are you going to use the knife. If you just want a show knife or one to flick (play around with) then a stiletto is great. :lol: If you plan to use the knife for cutting and stuff then you might want to change style of knife you choose. Stiletto's with their longer, slender blades are more used for poke type cuts. More of a military/historical/battle use. Other knives like your leverlocks have thicker and sturdier blades are more adapted for everyday cutting(an EDC) and such.
Most of all. Don't rush into this. Take your time, look around and ask questions. We love questions around here and you will find more like me around here that will love to sit and talk about knives as long as time permits us to. Good luck and welcome to your newest addiction! Like lays potatoe chips....You can't have just one!!! 8)

:wink:
I WATCHED A SNAIL CRAWLING ON A RAZORS EDGE. THIS IS MY DREAM. THIS IS MY NIGHTMARE
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Mr. Charles_M,

WELCOMENESS to the Forum!

This question frequently comes upness, and I always answer the same:

11" Italian stiletto with bayonet blade and either dark horn or black acrylic scales.

AB, AKC, and F. Beltrame are all good...

This, (in my mos' humble and worthless opinion) is a "Classic," and the first thing that comes to mos' people's minds when they hear the word "stiletto," or "switchblade." One like it with the kris blade should be your second choice... Then you should get a dagger blade, and then a flat grind, and then... and then... Well, you get the idea. :P HO! HO! :P

WELCOMENESS to the insanity! :lol:
Last edited by JerrBear on Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Welcome to the forum :)
The only thing I could add is, IF you intend to use it for cutting, the Damascus Steel or ATS-34 stainless is worth the extra bucks :idea: and for cutting the flat-grind is better than other types :wink:
The Damascus from AB/SKM is real, traditional, carbon steel Damascus. It sharpens easily and holds an edge well 8)
Frank's Damascus is a Stainless Damascus and I have no experience with it but, all stainless is harder to sharpen because of the abrasion resistance that chrome adds to stainless.
Charles_M

Post by Charles_M »

Thanks everyone for all the help. I guess you could say that I would be using the knife for every day things, like cutting and such. Maybe even a little protection seein as the area I am from isnt the most hospitable of places and so I want a knife that has an an agressive look and can stand the wear and tear of being used.
OTTO MATIC

Post by OTTO MATIC »

Welcome Charles, JerrBear said it all :D 11" dark horn/bayo blade. The only thing I would change is I would make it a Frank B picklock. Bit more money lot more quality. Nice one on sharper deal right now. Larry
OTTO MATIC

Post by OTTO MATIC »

Charles just saw your 2nd post. If you want a knife for cutting you do not want a kris blade,unless your cutting warm butter. A good choice for your needs might be a Protech Godfather. Better choice would be a leverlock and a 45 auto :D Larry
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

For every day cutting, a Leverlock wins by a mile :wink: They are sturdier and will hold up better to long term use :idea:
Grim

Post by Grim »

if your lookin for a stiletto that will hold up to everyday use and carry i would go with a flatgrind stiletto with an ats-34 blade steel carried by skm and tinys.I have no say in the matter but a knife as a self defense weapon is a very stupid idea as i was tought or say scolded by the my fellow friends here at talkblade never pull a knife unless you intend to use it period.I see my knives now more of collectors pieces and works of art rather than weapons :wink: id advise you to do the same think about a stun or melle weapon for self defense such as a baton.But in my opinion equal force is the way to go
Charles_M

Post by Charles_M »

haha so then a kris blade is basically for looks? lol thanks OTTO MATIC, im already a step ahead of you. Ya I dont intend on ever needing to use it much less pull it out as a self defense mechanism, its more just of a security blanket if you will, knowing that i have a secondary means of defense. Ya i agree that equal force is the way to go too
missaman

Post by missaman »

Welcome from me as well. Missa Charles
Take some good advise from the guys here, a switchblade is you last line of defence. An axe handle, bar stool or a hammer will work better than your switch. in a fight. I carry a benchmite auto as my edc It is small under a 2 inch blade, and sharp as hell.
For and edc every day carry try a protech,Benchmade or microtech VERY sharp and pointy :wink:
Missaman.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Pulling ANY weapon BEFORE you have a legal right to USE it is a FELONY, with severe penalties :!:
In almost all states IF you are in genuine danger there is NO equal force requirement :idea:
If a situation is so BAD that your survival is at risk there is NO requirement to issue a warning, your successful defense can be a warning to others who have bad intentions. A prosecutor, hoping to be re-elected, will argue that if you had time for a warning you had time to seek safety, call for help or run away :x If he convinces a jury, you will be part of his "conviction rate" he uses to get re-elected :evil:
Grim

Post by Grim »

Charles_M wrote:haha so then a kris blade is basically for looks? lol thanks OTTO MATIC, im already a step ahead of you. Ya I dont intend on ever needing to use it much less pull it out as a self defense mechanism, its more just of a security blanket if you will, knowing that i have a secondary means of defense. Ya i agree that equal force is the way to go too
well actually a kriss blade is made to make slow healing stab wound due to the waves in the blade :wink: